Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2019, 03:48 AM   #1
Wildhorse

Cracked Wheel 2016 Raptor 355TS

When we arrived at a campground in Utah I noticed the rear wheel on the drivers side of our 5th wheel had developed cracks. The spare was installed for the trip home to CA, but now I don’t know what to do about getting another wheel. As you can see there is no damage to the wheel or tire other than its own failure.

https://ibb.co/6WwNYq8
https://ibb.co/wR1GJHX

Anybody else had this? I was scared of the Chinese tires and went to Goodyears right off, not figuring a wheel would fail. Is this a freak to have crack or am I looking at the others likely failing too? Also I remember reading somewhere here that these are lifetime warrentied but can’t find a thread stating so or with contact info.

Thanks for any guidence,

Bryan

2016 Raptor 355TS
2015 GMC Duramax Denali 1 Ton
2017 Polaris RZR XP1000 Matte Gold Edition
2012 Harley RoadGlide Ultra
Wildhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:17 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would contact the wheel manufacturer for clarification. Hopefully the other rims are ok, I would be looking real close at them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:47 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

There was a similar thread just yesterday with a member reporting a cracked weld on one of his wheels. He reported it to the company, even though his wheel warranty had expired and the company sent him 4 new rims. You can read about his experience here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...highlight=weld

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:14 AM   #4
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There was a similar thread just yesterday with a member reporting a cracked weld on one of his wheels. He reported it to the company, even though his wheel warranty had expired and the company sent him 4 new rims. You can read about his experience here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...highlight=weld
Sorry, see next post.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:16 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhorse View Post
When we arrived at a campground in Utah I noticed the rear wheel on the drivers side of our 5th wheel had developed cracks. The spare was installed for the trip home to CA, but now I don’t know what to do about getting another wheel. As you can see there is no damage to the wheel or tire other than its own failure.

https://ibb.co/6WwNYq8
https://ibb.co/wR1GJHX

Anybody else had this? I was scared of the Chinese tires and went to Goodyears right off, not figuring a wheel would fail. Is this a freak to have crack or am I looking at the others likely failing too? Also I remember reading somewhere here that these are lifetime warrentied but can’t find a thread stating so or with contact info.

Thanks for any guidence,

Bryan
I would tactfully contact Keystone and provide them with those pictures. I'd inform them if they don't take action you'll mail the same evidence to NHTSA.

It's much less expensive for Keystone to control their own recall rather than a forced recall from NHTSA.

Even though the wheels are considered OEM equipment, Keystone would have to manage the recall, they installed them.

Bottom line: Tell the industry of the failure. There is no telling if it's a one-of-a kind failure or all of a kind failures yet to happen.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
Wildhorse

We have resolution in the works. Tredit is the supplier of these wheels to Keystone and the aluminum wheels carry a lifetime warrrenty. They required proof that we purchased to Raptor new, the VIN, photos of the cracks, and a warrenty claim to be filled out online. About an hour later I was emailed with an apology for the inconvenience, was notified that they were shipping a new one out to me, and that I could submit a receipt within 60 days and they would reimburse for mounting the tire up to $45, or $65. I can’t recall which is right. LOL

Overall this has been pretty painless actually. So far I’m giving Tredit two thumbs up, but the wheel isn’t here yet.

2016 Raptor 355TS
Old 10-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
Snoking

That looks like a wheel supplied by Tredit. Contact them. https://www.tredittire.com/wheel/a1411/

YF1166867BM

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel Tredit.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	24117  
Old 10-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
Wildhorse

Thanks for the heads up Chris. It looks like we were typing at the same time last night regarding this, me offering closure, and you offering help. Thanks again, you’re spot on with the correct path on this...

2016 Raptor 355TS
Old 04-06-2020, 07:17 AM   #9
triplebvalp

Cracked wheel resolution

Folks, probably most of us have had to endure the dreaded warranty claim issues associated with a new RV. On March 24th, 2020, we purchased a new Montana High Country. After getting her home, I discovered a small air leak in one of the tires/wheels. After taking it to my local tire guy, he discovered that the aluminum wheel had a very small crack in it.

So, I contacted Camping World to arrange for the warranty repair. To my displeasure, CW required me to pull the FW to their facility for "diagnosis". I explained to them that I had already put the spare on and that I could bring the tire/wheel to them but nooooooooo, they have to have the FW for documentation.

I searched this Forum and found this thread which lead me to Tredit. I called Tredit last Friday, filled out the on-line warranty form, and received this email today (Monday):

"Good morning,

Thank you for submitting your warranty claim. I apologize for the issues you have experienced! After reviewing your claim, you qualify for our Guarantees Simplified program which covers all of our customers within the first year of ownership, no questions asked. I will send a new wheel to the address provided in the claim. It will ship out from my Indiana facility today or tomorrow.

Once you receive the wheel, you will have 60 days to submit a labor receipt for remounting. We will cover up to $45.00. You may dispose of the damaged wheel.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you for your time."

The above response is how a warranty claim should be handled.
Reese M5 - 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #10
skids

When I bought my camper from Camping World last year, they tried to talk me into buying an enhanced warranty and I just grinned and said "no thanks." They also tried to talk me into buying an external protective coating. Again, "No thanks."
Old 04-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
Folks, probably most of us have had to endure the dreaded warranty claim issues associated with a new RV. On March 24th, 2020, we purchased a new Montana High Country. After getting her home, I discovered a small air leak in one of the tires/wheels. After taking it to my local tire guy, he discovered that the aluminum wheel had a very small crack in it.

So, I contacted Camping World to arrange for the warranty repair. To my displeasure, CW required me to pull the FW to their facility for "diagnosis". I explained to them that I had already put the spare on and that I could bring the tire/wheel to them but nooooooooo, they have to have the FW for documentation.

I searched this Forum and found this thread which lead me to Tredit. I called Tredit last Friday, filled out the on-line warranty form, and received this email today (Monday):

"Good morning,

Thank you for submitting your warranty claim. I apologize for the issues you have experienced! After reviewing your claim, you qualify for our Guarantees Simplified program which covers all of our customers within the first year of ownership, no questions asked. I will send a new wheel to the address provided in the claim. It will ship out from my Indiana facility today or tomorrow.

Once you receive the wheel, you will have 60 days to submit a labor receipt for remounting. We will cover up to $45.00. You may dispose of the damaged wheel.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you for your time."

The above response is how a warranty claim should be handled.
They have wheel repair shops that could repair your cracked wheel then you'd have a matching spare.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:48 AM   #12
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
They have wheel repair shops that could repair your cracked wheel then you'd have a matching spare.
Maybe I am superstitious, but i would never use a repaired wheel that would be subject to cyclic stresses (repeated stresses). Welding can also cause weakening from heat stresses. I am sure there are repaired wheels in use, but not for this kid!
Old 04-07-2020, 04:50 AM   #13
skids

P.S. Maybe it depends on where the crack is and its orientation.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:46 AM   #14
Hblick48

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Maybe I am superstitious, but i would never use a repaired wheel that would be subject to cyclic stresses (repeated stresses). Welding can also cause weakening from heat stresses. I am sure there are repaired wheels in use, but not for this kid!
I owned a wheel repair shop for over 10 years. I personally have successfully welded thousands of cracked wheels. Some cracks are not repairable, but if it's the inside lip, no problem. You do need to know how to do it in order to not compromise the integrity of the wheel. Safe and permanent if done properly.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Was merely a suggestion!
Otherwise it's worth about $15 at an aluminum recycler.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack, raptor