Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2020, 11:53 PM   #1
chunker

PDI spoke too soon

Things went well Wednesday on the delivery inspection but I missed something, hopefully not much more. The next day I got to work installing the Progressive Industries hard wired EMS, surge guard. The transfer switch is visible on the forward wall of the basement so a rather straightforward install. I decided too install the EMS after the transfer switch. Biggest hassle was making connections and working with the #6 wire which is very stiff, but I got it done. Was late, getting dark when I finished so waited till the next day to power up. Friday morning, checked thing again and plugged in and closed the CB on the pole barn. Went through diagnostics, 16 second delay, and got a fault. Reverse polarity. Unplugged, ran again, same fault. Rechecked all connections, compared the transfer switch connections with the picture I took before taking anything apart, checked my pedestal power, 50 amp. All good.

Since the EMS is wired after the transfer switch, I disconnected, started the generator and NO power. Top leg CB tripped, reset, tripped again and no power to the transfer switch and to the EMS. Called PI tech support and the tech had me recheck all connections and my pedestal. He then had me check the volts at the transfer switch. Results, L1 to ground-120v, L1 to L2-0v, L2 to ground-240v. That's the shore power to the transfer switch. Also on the output and at the EMS, L1 and L1 to ground-0v. L1 and L2 to neutral 120v. Somewhere in the factory supplied wiring there is a fault and crossing of power legs. No breakers in the inside tripped.

Reference the generator, my error for not noticing that when the tech started the generator he didn't close the 2 CBs and I didn't check that the trailer was supplied power by the generator. Called dealer and towed back in for them to figure out.

Of course the first suspicion is that I didn't install it right or that the EMS wasn't the right one. That conversation was before they looked at anything. Service manager had a more of "deer in headlights look" when I described the voltage test results but was going to have their "electrical expert" (my interpretation) troubleshoot it. So now we wait.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote