Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2019, 10:53 AM   #21
atkinsb3

We have a 2018 2670BH.

It took me about a year not to hate it.

Had a lot of problems with it that the dealer couldn't seem to get around to fixing and ended up fixing most of them myself and writing off the warranty as worthless. Actually ended up waiting for the initial warranty to expire so another dealer could fix some of the appliances under the appliance warranty. I quickly learned a warranty on a camper is not like the warranty on an automobile.

It is an ultra light trailer so construction is thin. If you put your knee on the dinette benches while making it into a bed, you'll fall through. If you put your knee on the night stand that covers the water pump and stores the shore power cord while making the master bed, you'll fall through (plan to reinforce both of those).

The fold out couch is uncomfortable to sit on and if you fold it out for someone to sleep on, it butts up against the kitchen counter. So whoever sleeps in the main bedroom (you and the Mrs.) will be cut off from the bathroom unless you want to crawl over whoever is sleeping in the bed. I plan to eventually replace the dinette with a free standing table and chairs and the fold out couch with a futon or recliners.

Plan to replace all the mattresses or buy at least 3" toppers, and the dinette is uncomfortable to sleep on

I could go on and on...(think I already have) but I'm sure you get the picture. The family likes it and I've accepted what I have and am dealing with it. Bottom line, don't be fooled by the looks.

Also, don't know what your experience is pulling a trailer, but with the tongue, this one is right around 30'...that's a lot to drag.

I guess this could be classified as a negative review!?!?

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsb3 View Post
We have a 2018 2670BH.

It took me about a year not to hate it.

Had a lot of problems with it that the dealer couldn't seem to get around to fixing and ended up fixing most of them myself and writing off the warranty as worthless. Actually ended up waiting for the initial warranty to expire so another dealer could fix some of the appliances under the appliance warranty. I quickly learned a warranty on a camper is not like the warranty on an automobile.

It is an ultra light trailer so construction is thin. If you put your knee on the dinette benches while making it into a bed, you'll fall through. If you put your knee on the night stand that covers the water pump and stores the shore power cord, you'll fall through (plan to reinforce both of those).

The fold out couch is uncomfortable to sit on and if you fold it out for someone to sleep on, it butts up against the kitchen counter. So whoever sleeps in the main bedroom (you and the Mrs.) will be cut off from the bathroom unless you want to crawl over whoever is sleeping in the bed. I plan to eventually replace the dinette with a free standing table and chairs and the fold out couch with a futon or recliners.

Plan to replace all the mattresses or buy at least 3" toppers, and the dinette is uncomfortable to sleep on

I could go on and on...(think I already have) but I'm sure you get the picture. The family likes it and I've accepted what I have and am dealing with it. Bottom line, don't be fooled by the looks.

Also, don't know what your experience is pulling a trailer, but with the tongue, this one is right around 30'...that's a lot to drag.

I guess this could be classified as a negative review!?!?

I think this would be classified as a post that illustrates to others the importance of knowing what you are buying and what you think are important vs buying something and THEN checking it out. Most things you are pointing our are things that would/should be known prior to purchase and/or checked out during pre purchase inspection or pdi IMO.

Choosing a dealer is also on the purchaser and can't be blamed on construction or Keystone - just another thing a new owner needs to brush up on. As far as the warranty being worthless, mine has worked well and I have no complaints, but then again, that is generally dependent on the dealer as well. I'm glad the family likes it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #23
atkinsb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think this would be classified as a post that illustrates to others the importance of knowing what you are buying and what you think are important vs buying something and THEN checking it out. Most things you are pointing our are things that would/should be known prior to purchase and/or checked out during pre purchase inspection or pdi IMO.

Choosing a dealer is also on the purchaser and can't be blamed on construction or Keystone - just another thing a new owner needs to brush up on. As far as the warranty being worthless, mine has worked well and I have no complaints, but then again, that is generally dependent on the dealer as well. I'm glad the family likes it.
We previously owned a 24' Sunline Solaris Lite trailer that was great.

The PDI at the dealer when we decided to "upgrade" was good and everything worked with the promise of "bring it back for 30 day check and we'll take care of any other issues you find." They failed to add "...but it may take 2 - 3 months before we even look at it and if we happen to get to it, then we'll screw up a few other things around the area we work on".

My big mistake was thinking it would be like an automobile warranty where they would turn it around in a short period and it would be relatively hassle free.

I didn't really know what I was getting into with the ultra-lite models, and that was my bad.

Hindsight being what it is, your statements are absolutely correct.

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #24
duh1

We have a 2910bh and have put 80,000 miles on it. About 60k with a Chevy 2500 diesel. First 20k with a 1500 pickup. Like everyone says, you are right at the limit. Scale down or get a bigger truck. We have had excellent service from our keyston e but it's nearly ten years o!d and may be replacing it and not sure what I would.buy. Look at lots of reviews and take all with a grain of salt. Do lots of online pricing we are in florida and bought at north side rv in Lexington and don't be concerned about buying local.
duh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #25
wa5ngp

Here is a suggestion to get you calibrated. Start paying attention to campers going down the road and what is towing them. Fortunately, most of RVers get it right. I am by no means an expert but after towing a couple of BPs in the 6K lb range with a 1/2 T suburban I told my wife no more towing until we get a 3/4T something to tow with. I think that ratings on the 1/2 trucks is way more optimistic than 3/4T. When the engineers put the pencil to the paper they say oh...1/2T they are gonna tow something ocasionally. When they design a 3/4T the thinking is more like they are gonna tow ALL THE TIME. So everything is beefier. I went low budget on a used '06 Duramax WT and difference compared to the 1/2T suburbans is night and day. Its old fashioned now and I"ll have to spend some repair money soon but towing my 30ft Keystone thru the mountains of Utah was a breeze. As long as I'm towing anything it will be with a 3/4T. The diesel, I may have to give that up for a v10 gasser next time around. That's another story.
wa5ngp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #26
CaptnJohn

800# the salesman said for a family of 4!! He is not smoking he is injecting. Kids often carry more than adults, Then they want to bring friends and items to entertain themselves. Closer to 1500# from my past experience. Now just my wife and I long term with 2300# +.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

It's just the two of us. Our 2011 Springdale 242FWSSL had a cargo capacity of just under 1900 pounds. I thought we'd never fill the storage spaces or come close to the weight limit. I WAS WRONG !!!!! By the third trip we were taking things out of the trailer to stay under the weight limit and making "hard choices" whether to leave the toolbox in the trailer, try to find space in the truck or leave it at home and hope we didn't break down.....

800 pounds for a family of 4??? you'll be much closer to double that weight, especially when your girls refuse to leave home without their bicycle, their favorite pillow and their 4 changes of clothes for every day.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:22 PM   #28
RickClayton

I have a Passport 234, and just wanted to alert you of a few things. For one we went to TACOMA RV (Tacoma Washington) and were able to get a "LIFETIME" warranty. TACOMA RV has a basic lifetime warranty with their RV's. We saw not enough was covered so opted for a few more $$ to get a life-timer. First year they resealed the roof. Another option that I did was to mount a propane genset over the propane tanks frwd. We plan to boondock and our trailer didn't come with a generator. Also "where are you going to camp"? Not asking to be smart. We are going to be at state and national parks. Was not interested in "camping-out" at Walmart. Good luck, safe travels
RickClayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #29
Rubicon100

We have a 2017 2670bhs and absolutely love it. We have 3 kids and I think the storage space is pretty decent and for an ultra light trailer the quality seems pretty good. Ask me anything you want about the camper and I will answer as best I can.
Now comes the bad news, this model seems to have a pretty hefty tounge weight and I used to pull ours with a 2012 Silverado 4x4 4 door with every available option for towing from the factory. My truck is pretty modified so power was never a problem and I never had any issues with sway at all.
I'm pretty good at going to the scales often and unless the camper was empty and no other family members I was at my maximum payload every time.
I had axle reserve but I didn't like pulling the camper having to leave stuff at home because we were maxed out. Again my truck pulled the camper without issues but it will surprise you how much weight you end up with no matter what you do. We love our camper but I now have a 2500 4x4 gas Silverado with 2800lbs of payload. It's nice taking the generator and extra propane tanks or anything else we want to take. I still have my 2012 and it is my middle aged crisis muscle truck. You really need to listen to the guys on here who have been very honest people who are not judging you, just trying to keep you and your family safe. Sorry for the long post but it's the best way to explain it.
Again thanks to all of you guys who helped me out when I got started. Good luck and be safe.
Dan
2017 2670bh pulling with a 2012 Silverado crew cab 4x4 with the factory tow package. Upgraded to 3.73,s after market trans cooler. All fluids changed to valvolene synthetic. Air lift 2000 bags and an equalizer 4 point hitch.
Rubicon100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passport