Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Randy_K

Question May i suggest ?

I have only been a member for a short time and have found lots of helpful people. I really appreciate that.

For other new people to the towing game it would be nice if someone with more knowledge then myself could come up with a check list. Something that explains tow rating vs GVWR vs GAWR vs tire weight rating. The fact the tongue and trailer weight may not be what is claimed. Gas and people have to be taken as part of the payload. How and what to check in what order. I'm confused just thinking about it. Making it a sticky would be a bonus .

I am a new TT owner as well as the owner of a newer TV. I was told but both salesman the rig i wanted was no problem. Seams they did not know what they were talking about or did not care.

Thanks for thinking about my suggestion.

Randy.
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
fla-gypsy

"Something that explains tow rating vs GVWR vs GAWR vs tire weight rating. The fact the tongue and trailer weight may not be what is claimed."

We would probably never agree on any of it, LOL. There is a lot of subjectivity in those discussions. Me, I am a never exceed any rating whatsoever guy, some are not. With 29 years of industrial safety training, hazard recognition, consequence awareness, and accident investigation I could never go any other way. Great topic to discuss though
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Randy K, I am working on exactly what you think would be helpful. I've been putting it together for a few months now. It seems that summer, fishing, yardwork, camping and a host of other "priorities" keep getting in the way. It's in the works though, maybe not soon enough to help you through the muddy waters, but it is on the way.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Randy K -

In response to your suggestion about a sticky .............. There are a couple of members who are starting to put together a "sticky tutorial" on this very topic. It will take some time before it appears on the forum but it is in the works. Hopefully, it will help answer many of the questions that members have and clear up some of the confusion that exists when trying to determine what you need to know when matching up a tow vehicle with an RV.
Thanks for suggesting this.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_K View Post
I have only been a member for a short time and have found lots of helpful people. I really appreciate that.

For other new people to the towing game it would be nice if someone with more knowledge then myself could come up with a check list. Something that explains tow rating vs GVWR vs GAWR vs tire weight rating. The fact the tongue and trailer weight may not be what is claimed. Gas and people have to be taken as part of the payload. How and what to check in what order. I'm confused just thinking about it. Making it a sticky would be a bonus .

I am a new TT owner as well as the owner of a newer TV. I was told but both salesman the rig i wanted was no problem. Seams they did not know what they were talking about or did not care.

Thanks for thinking about my suggestion.

Randy.
Randy; for now I would read up on the 2012 Guide for Towing that Trailer Life publishes. They publish this supplement every year which list everything that you are asking for. Just need to read the supplement thoroughly. Also keep in mind that all of the vehicle tow ratings for new trucks are going to change in the next few years as the new SAE J2807 spec is implemented.

Here is a link to it.
http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

I have also included this link also.
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...t/viewall.html

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
zuley

In regards to Jim W's post re new "SAE J2807 spec" coming down the line can you give us a brief heads up as to what the new ratings will be and how they will effect tow ratings. Just curious. Thanks.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
In regards to Jim W's post re new "SAE J2807 spec" coming down the line can you give us a brief heads up as to what the new ratings will be and how they will effect tow ratings. Just curious. Thanks.
The new standard includes a performance based tow test as a requirement for tow rating. It applies to "Max tow rating" and GCWR. Apparently it now includes all optional equipment "normally installed in the model" and a driver and passenger in the weight rating.

There are five engineering characteristics that strongly influence any tow vehicle's performance:

•The engine's power and torque characteristics.
•The powertrain's cooling capacity.
•The durability of the powertrain and chassis.
•Handling characteristics during cornering and braking
maneuvers. •The structural characteristics of the vehicle's hitch attachment area.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...#ixzz2CDVgHaDQ

It is important to note that GVW is not a specified part of the max tow rating. However, I'm sure it will continue to be important as will RAWR and FAWR

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote