Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #21
Javi

It is wired that way to prevent the discharge of the TV battery...

The gen set will keep the battery charged thru the converter which has a multi stage charger built in....
Old 11-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
camper 2010

On the picture from F6bits, your TV will not charge the battery or your battery will not operate any 12 volt inside lights, ref, or furnace if this braker is open. You can get a replacement braker for under $10.00 at any RV store.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #23
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post

I've never heard that the converter won't pass power to the lights without a battery hooked up. I didn't even think a battery was necessary except for the brakes in an emergency (and boon docking).

If you read your manual, as useless as it is, it will tell you not to operate your slides without a fully charged battery. It is also recommended to have TV connected with engine running or shore power to avoid damage to slide motors from low voltage. Electronics that require "clean" 12v dc power also need the battery to filter the converters dc output. After you arrive at your campsite with your TV connected and running push the battery button on your control panel ... If it reads full everything is working the way it should be, no test equipment required.

Since you have a generator, Take the trip with battery connected (and disconnect on) and see how the system works like Keystone designed it. I think you will find that your battery will charge while towing and you will enjoy your new trailer. ..... Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #24
f6bits

Javi, I know that the truck is wired so the 12V is only active when the truck is running. *That* way is how it stops the trailer from draining my truck battery.

camper_2010, yep, that's the problem I'm facing. I'm working my way up the learning curve in finding out why I wasn't getting power in all the right places. I've been adding/replacing parts as I work my way through the circuit. Looks like a new breaker would be next, but I need to pull the old one to find out what its amperage rating is.

hankpage, yeah, I know the truck should be running when running slides. I've been a good boy and left the truck running as I set up, but only now discovered that it was for naught since the trailer isn't getting its proper 12V from the Tow Vehicle. Once I get a new circuit breaker installed, I'll know for sure what's really going on.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #25
f6bits

Just got back. No, the batteries didn't charge a whit during my 3 hour drive. On Wednesday, I'll remove the breaker and get a new one.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 11-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #26
f6bits

Victory! The circuit breaker was bad. Replaced it and the truck is powering the trailer as it should.

Thanks, all, for the tips and guidance.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
Victory! The circuit breaker was bad. Replaced it and the truck is powering the trailer as it should.

Thanks, all, for the tips and guidance.
f6bits,

I'm glad you found the problem... Now, go back and read post #10..... <wink> The answer was there after a short discussion after the other things that could be wrong were eliminated.....

Now that it's working properly, park it somewhere and enjoy Thanksgiving

Happy Turkey Day to you and yours !!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #28
f6bits

Yep. I remember that post. That was a key piece of information I didn't have before. When I installed my cutoff switch, I utilized that breaker for connecting a cable, but didn't realize it was a breaker and didn't know what all was connected to those posts. After tracing circuits, it all made sense. Thankfully, my local RV parts/repair shop had a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
f6bits,

I'm glad you found the problem... Now, go back and read post #10..... <wink> The answer was there after a short discussion after the other things that could be wrong were eliminated.....

Now that it's working properly, park it somewhere and enjoy Thanksgiving

Happy Turkey Day to you and yours !!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #29
Herkbubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
On your trailer, there is (or should be) a 20AMP circuit breaker on the charge line going into the battery. It looks like an old oil filled capacitor, kind of oval with a red plastic cover. They are notorious for corroding internally and not functioning. You may check there first before you get too far into tearing out the wiring. And, in case you haven't been keeping up with the older topics, there are no wiring diagrams for any Keystone products, so you're pretty much left to your own devices in trying to figure out what goes where.....
Hello... I think I may have the same problem... Posted this thread:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...7586#post57586

and someone told me to look here...

I have a 2008 Sprinter 311 BHS. I looked for what you described but could not find it. Is this something that I'll have to remove the bottom of the RV to find?

I looked near the battery - no dice. All I see is a junction box and when I opened it up I just see the wires connected - no capacitor.

Is this located perhaps by the circuit breaker panel? I opened that up and didn't see anything like you described.

Would appreciate any help... If you click on the link I provided, I described my issue... May possibly be the same thing?

Thanks,
Herk

(Edit - nevermind... mystery solved. Battery was dead - and when I looked at the connectors, noticed there was some electrical tap (???) blocking the wingnut. Removed electrical tape - plugged in trickle charger... presto! Everything works...)
Herkbubba is offline   Reply With Quote