Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
Javi

Anyone looking for a good 1/2" impact wrench and batteries

Here is a good DEWALT DCF899HB 20V MAX XR Brushless High Torque 1/2" Impact Wrench with Hog Ring Anvil with 20V MAX XR 5.0Ah Lithium Ion Battery, 2-Pack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3Q5YHD...6TYSAH32K4Q86X
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Here is a good DEWALT DCF899HB 20V MAX XR Brushless High Torque 1/2" Impact Wrench with Hog Ring Anvil with 20V MAX XR 5.0Ah Lithium Ion Battery, 2-Pack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M3Q5YHD...6TYSAH32K4Q86X
Interesting you post this, Javi. A few weeks back we made a run from the campground to help my son-in-law on the side of I-95. They had a rear wheel blow out on their Forest River Salem Hemisphere while inbound to the campground. As we (brother-in-law and I) pulled up, I jumped out of the truck and grabbed my breaker bar and sockets (while in the FD I would do something similar except with an axe or halligan tool in my hand). SIL didn't have the right size socket with him, hence the call for help. I went to break loose the lug nuts and the aluminum wheel just turned on the torn up china bomb. Every blow out I've ever encountered (trailer or TV) I was always able to break the lugs loose. Not this time. My BIL handed me his Dewalt 20v impact over my shoulder and said, "here, try this." 20 seconds later all lugs were loose. Never thought about packing heat in the back of the truck with 20v impact.

I bought one a few days later as a "tool only" and tossed in one of my other 20v batteries - it's the new "don't leave home without it" item.

That's good price especially with two 5ah batteries. Oh, BTW - SIL is now ordering a set of 5 Carlisles. I warned him a year ago to change tire brands.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Interesting you post this, Javi. A few weeks back we made a run from the campground to help my son-in-law on the side of I-95. They had a rear wheel blow out on their Forest River Salem Hemisphere while inbound to the campground. As we (brother-in-law and I) pulled up, I jumped out of the truck and grabbed my breaker bar and sockets (while in the FD I would do something similar except with an axe or halligan tool in my hand). SIL didn't have the right size socket with him, hence the call for help. I went to break loose the lug nuts and the aluminum wheel just turned on the torn up china bomb. Every blow out I've ever encountered (trailer or TV) I was always able to break the lugs loose. Not this time. My BIL handed me his Dewalt 20v impact over my shoulder and said, "here, try this." 20 seconds later all lugs were loose. Never thought about packing heat in the back of the truck with 20v impact.

I bought one a few days later as a "tool only" and tossed in one of my other 20v batteries - it's the new "don't leave home without it" item.

That's good price especially with two 5ah batteries. Oh, BTW - SIL is now ordering a set of 5 Carlisles. I warned him a year ago to change tire brands.
Good for him, you live and learn if you're lucky
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #4
Roper46

Trailer King tires made in China are "China Bombs", correct? What if the Trailer King tires are made in Vietnam? Are these also "China Bombs"?

Just curious as the Vietnam made ones came on my 5er.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:08 PM   #5
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Good for him, you live and learn if you're lucky
The pisser of it all was that his spare carrier lug nut was a different size than the axle lugs. My old Jayco was like that, I just happened to try the axle socket on the spare carrier one day and discovered it. Why in the world... never mind, no sense in thinking over that one.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
Trailer King tires made in China are "China Bombs", correct? What if the Trailer King tires are made in Vietnam? Are these also "China Bombs"?

Just curious as the Vietnam made ones came on my 5er.
Still a Trailer King. Go with Carlisle, Sailun or Goodyear. Just my two pennies on that question.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:09 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
The pisser of it all was that his spare carrier lug nut was a different size than the axle lugs. My old Jayco was like that, I just happened to try the axle socket on the spare carrier one day and discovered it. Why in the world... never mind, no sense in thinking over that one.
The reason is the spare tire carrier is not trailer specific. They are built on an assemnly line with the parts ordered for uniformity and simplicity. One that trail of thought, I'd suggest everyone with a different spare than the other wheels on the axles confirm that the lugnuts will work with the spare tire/rim. Some folks with aluminum wheels and a steel spare have found that with a steel spare rim the "acorn nut" (clsed end) may not be deep enough to tighten up against a thinner rim.

The prudent thing IMHO is to carry spare lug nuts that you have confirmed fit the spare and a set that fit the OEM wheels on the axle. I carry the more capable Dewalt battery impact tool as well as a set of "flip sockers" that store in a plastic case. My set has 4 sockets (8 sizes) and the extension all in one case. I've found that this prepares me for any "spare tire install event". Impact gun in one hand, soket set in the other and no suprises.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote