Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #21
sauerld

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjack View Post
geok171 +1; exact same thing. Filled holes with wooden toothpicks and epoxy. Put original screws back in and still working after 5+ yrs in our 2013 Mountaineer basement door.
Glad to hear it.
sauerld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:06 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankipoo View Post
Magnets should be here tomorrow. Has to order from Amazon because e-trailer couldn't get them in stock. I'm going to give them a good look and make sure that's what I want to do before I start making more holes. The one strut that is still on mine won't hold it up by itself. I have always thought since we bought the 5'er that there was a lot of pressure on that door when closing with the two struts. They come up at an angle and one side of the bracket starts pulling out before the other side. No idea if they are the original struts.
I guess you'll have to remove the one strut to get the door up 180 to get to the magnet. Just a side note, our camper has a very large outside kitchen door. It has 2 struts, each 80 lb rating. A couple of years after purchasing I read of others having issues with the strut mounts pulling out of the door. Fortunately we never had an issue.

After seeing a few other units in campgrounds I started watching how folks opened and closed the door. I would see some open or close by pulling or pushing on one corner. I always did this in the center to distribute the stress evenly. I put a pull handle under the center lock to make it easier to open. Anyway, I'd notice this and ask these folks if they had any issues as I hear they could be problematic. Nearly everyone I witnessed doing this said they had a problem with the front hinge, the side they were opening?closing from. The folks I witnesses opening theirs like I do from the center said nope, no issue. Strictly anecdotal but but thought I'd mention it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:10 PM   #23
Nankipoo

Got the magnets. Haven't had a chance to install. Those things are strong when put together. Hope they don't pull the screws out like the struts did.
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:23 PM   #24
mikec557

Quote:
Got the magnets. Haven't had a chance to install. Those things are strong when put together. Hope they don't pull the screws out like the struts did.
LOL! They won't. Just remember to install as a matched pair. For example, take two that don't attract and try pushing them together.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:32 PM   #25
RogerThat99

Quote:
I bought stick on magnets by AP Products on (on Amazon) for my entry door. They also are for cargo doors. I was going to use two, but thought I would try 1 first. I was in 25 mph wind, and 1 magnet held my door fine.

You may want to try them first, since you don't need to drill holes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211007_143549.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	36771
RogerThat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:36 PM   #26
Nankipoo

Got them installed today. It was windy and I left it up for several hours with no problems. I like this way better than the struts. The door goes back up out of your way. Time will tell if they hold up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211031_173213.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	36846  
Old 10-31-2021, 03:39 PM   #27
Roper46

I did the same thing to mine yesterday. Posted in the thread "What did you do to your RV today". Much better without the struts.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 05:17 PM   #28
Nankipoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
I did the same thing to mine yesterday. Posted in the thread "What did you do to your RV today". Much better without the struts.
Looked for it and couldn't find it.