Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #1
joe pasint

wiring diagram

Anyone have access to wiring diagram for 2004 Keystone Cougar 285EFS ?

Thanks
joe pasint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:40 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

That would be like finding the pot at the end of the rainbow.

I can tell you from first hand experience working on these things, even if you did it probably won’t be right. My trailer in sig, was mislabeled, and I found out when I replaced my AC. The microwave breaker was the AC.

What are you looking for?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:30 AM   #3
joe pasint

wiring diagram

Nothing particular. Just wanna see how it's wired. There is a diagram on a Google search but way too blurry. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:38 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Keystone did start to use “standardized” wiring, I don’t remember what year it started:

https://www.keystonerv.com/innovatio...r-coded-wiring

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #5
joe pasint

wiring diagram

Thanks much . Appreciate the effort. Looks great. I will call KS and try to find out when color coded was adopted.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:48 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe pasint View Post
Thanks much . Appreciate the effort. Looks great. I will call KS and try to find out when color coded was adopted.
Standardized color coding started in 2016 with the model year 2017 trailers. Prior to that, there was "some fashion of color coding" on some trailers, but nothing leaving the factory had any "customer guides for wire colors".

As an example, on my 2014 Cougar XLite, at the 7 pin umbilical, the left brake/turn signal is green, the right brake/turn is yellow and the running/tail light is brown for both sides.

At the actual lights on the rear of the trailer, the left brake/turn is black, the running/tail is brown and the ground is black. The right brake/turn is red, the running/tail is orange and the ground is white.

The license light (should be the same as the running/tail wiring) is blue.

So much for anything being "standardized" on my 2014.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:08 AM   #7
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Standardized color coding started in 2016 with the model year 2017 trailers. Prior to that, there was "some fashion of color coding" on some trailers, but nothing leaving the factory had any "customer guides for wire colors".

As an example, on my 2014 Cougar XLite, at the 7 pin umbilical, the left brake/turn signal is green, the right brake/turn is yellow and the running/tail light is brown for both sides.

At the actual lights on the rear of the trailer, the left brake/turn is black, the running/tail is brown and the ground is black. The right brake/turn is red, the running/tail is orange and the ground is white.

The license light (should be the same as the running/tail wiring) is blue.

So much for anything being "standardized" on my 2014.
I have a 2014 Cougar 337fls and have started to chase some of the wiring for the remote control. I can see on the top of the slides the color for the motors but need to confirm if it is going to the control panel in the hall first and if the same color is going to the relay panel underneath the vanity.

I’m still trying to get the landing gear to work on the remote but it’s not a high priority since the switch on front still work.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
I have a 2014 Cougar 337fls and have started to chase some of the wiring for the remote control. I can see on the top of the slides the color for the motors but need to confirm if it is going to the control panel in the hall first and if the same color is going to the relay panel underneath the vanity.

I’m still trying to get the landing gear to work on the remote but it’s not a high priority since the switch on front still work.
You've probably got a burned out IC circuit on the remote control receiver that's located in the battery compartment (at least that's where it is in my trailer_...

You can bypass that IC circuit and both the manual switches and the remote control will work. To do so, you'll need to connect the black and white wires into the remote receiver on one terminal.

Here's a photo of those two IC circuits and the black/white wires on my "5 channel remote system". To bypass the faulty IC circuit, jumper the two wires (black and white) that I'm pointing to in the 3rd and 4th photos to the two wires (black and white) that are on the terminals just to the left of where I'm pointing.

Essentially, there's 4 wires, move the two on the right to the terminals on the left so all 4 wires are on the left terminals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CONTROL BOARD 1 (1).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	36032   Click image for larger version

Name:	CONTROL BOARD 1 (2).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	36033   Click image for larger version

Name:	CONTROL BOARD 1 (3).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	330.3 KB
ID:	36034   Click image for larger version

Name:	CONTROL BOARD 1 (4).jpg
Views:	645
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	36035  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #9
BookPaul74

My controller has 7 circuits So one is not used. I just need to find out which one is for the landing gear. That’s why I need to work out the color codes to the switch and then the wires going to the remote control panel. But laying on the floor and sticking my head into the vanity is not easy.

It’s just a project waiting on ambition.

I just reread your message and I have a set of jumpers with alligator clips so it should be an easy test. ��
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0159CEE0-FBC8-4338-8ACE-231158A747D6.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	338.7 KB
ID:	36036  
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring, wiring diagram