Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2021, 07:40 PM   #1
Karen & Heather

2021 Carbon36

OK. Frustration level is at max.
BRAND NEW Keystone Carbon36. This baby has been in the shop almost as much as it's been out camping in the past year. WTH?

What I am asking: How 'normal' is this? Brand new rig and all sorts of issues: Generator, lights, rails for dropdown bed, loose screws refrigerator, leak in the water tank, J wrap, etc....

Getting my drift? I have been told it's pretty normal for a new trailer but am skeptical. Maybe a COVID lemon?

I need some feedback from folks in the know. This is my first Keystone, first trailer, first toyhauler.
Karen & Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:50 PM   #2
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen & Heather View Post
OK. Frustration level is at max.
BRAND NEW Keystone Carbon36. This baby has been in the shop almost as much as it's been out camping in the past year. WTH?

What I am asking: How 'normal' is this? Brand new rig and all sorts of issues: Generator, lights, rails for dropdown bed, loose screws refrigerator, leak in the water tank, J wrap, etc....

Getting my drift? I have been told it's pretty normal for a new trailer but am skeptical. Maybe a COVID lemon?

I need some feedback from folks in the know. This is my first Keystone, first trailer, first toyhauler.
I typically expect at least 1/2 dozen small fixes and a couple large fixes within the fist year.

Your issues seem to be a bit heavy on the larger side…. But without details as to each “issue” it’s hard to say how abnormal it is. Sad to say but yes, COVID builds have been hit and miss. I’m sorry for your frustration, Keystone is one of the better manufacturers and the bright side is you are getting this all repaired under factory warranty so hopefully you will have smooth sailing going forward
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:09 PM   #3
Karen & Heather

THANKS!! So yes, some issues I think we should not have had. Freezer seal that doesn't, (frost!) a fuel gage for the generator that doesn't work, etc. It sure has been frustrating and I've wondered if I should trade in and start over. I know that COVID has affected areas and industries that most folks don't think about, and I want to believe what I read about Keystone (being top line, etc) but I have to admit that I have had second thoughts. I really want this to work.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:17 PM   #4
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen & Heather View Post
THANKS!! So yes, some issues I think we should not have had. Freezer seal that doesn't, (frost!) a fuel gage for the generator that doesn't work, etc. It sure has been frustrating and I've wondered if I should trade in and start over. I know that COVID has affected areas and industries that most folks don't think about, and I want to believe what I read about Keystone (being top line, etc) but I have to admit that I have had second thoughts. I really want this to work.
Stick it out, your on the right path. If you trade it in, you’ll start the process over again. Probably different issues but the cycle is the same

If it makes you feel better my Fuzion is currently in for its second round of warranty work. 4 small items and 1 big one. (Landing gear mount welds)

Also, with this being your first experience you’ll learn that many things can be caught during your PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection)

Moving forward, don’t hesitate to ask here if something is wrong. Chances are one of us have seen it and fixed it
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #5
Karen & Heather

I am SO grateful to hear this, and thank you for your quick reply and positivity. I am feeling less torn now about a trade in.

Positive thoughts!
Old 10-29-2021, 05:46 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Without knowing the specifics of your issues it's hard to say. You say this is your first camper so I suspect a mix of things may have happened. First you bought a trailer likely built during the Covid pandemic. Quality was an issue throughout the industry before that and the challenges of the pandemic have exacerbated that.

Additionally, I would suspect many issues may have been found pre-delivery with more experience, wuich you now have. Lastly I have to ask, what are your expectations? By that I just saying if you expect the quality and "ruggedness " of a sticks & bricks house then you're in for further disappointment. Trailers zre made of 6hin, lightweight materials to accommodate being towed down this country's glass like roads. That lightweight construction combined with the "earthquake " from travel means more maintenance in screws loosening, maybe things breaking. That lightweight construction will also result in issues if you treat the camper in a "rough" manner much faster than a S&B house.

As for the future? No one knows that. Some folks 3ill get everything fixed and loose trust and trade or sell off. I love folks that do this. I've bought several vehicles over the years that iether were perfectly fine because everything was fixed or that just needed one mijor item replaced. They were some of the most reliable, trouble free vehichles that I evered owned and I bought them at a great price. I agree that in todays market huying new now would most likely end with the same reults.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote