Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND1C View Post
I have a 2010 Keystone Laredo 245rl it is well within the half ton towing. it's about 7k lbs and won't exceed the half ton pin weight limits of a half ton. There are many others. but watch pin weight as well as trailer weight.
I hate to inform you that if someone has told you that you're within the weights of your 1/2 ton you've been misinformed.
The specs for that 5er state it's 7200+ lb dry with a 9800 lb GVWR of which 23% calculates to 2000+ lb pin weight which is NOT within the weight limits of most 1/2 ton trucks, typically 1500-1800 lb payloads depending on level of options.
FYI the dry weight for any rv is a totally useless number as is the max tow weight of any truck in the real rv world.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:09 AM   #22
Spock123

I was stopped at a Cracker Barrel in Nebraska one time and I saw a Ford F-150 pulling a Forest River Blue Ridge bunkhouse, the camper was at least 40ft long. I talked to the owner and he told me the truck pulled the fifth wheel great. A Ford is a pulling machine, most of the time when I’m passed pulling my Cedar Creek it’s a Ford. I normally run 70mph and a Ford pulling a fifth wheel will blow me off the road. If you are worried about stopping the camper just install disk brakes on the camper
Spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:00 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Whilebyou CAN find a light-weight fiver for a 1/2 ton truck you will be compromised in size and storage. You're likely be close or at your truck's maximum capacity and limited in your choices. To me this goes back yo the best advice I've ever heard and that's "to buy the camper first, then buy a truck to tow it." I know that's easier said than done hut many ofbus have been caught in "chasing your tail" by reversing that proceedure.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:04 AM   #24
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock123 View Post
I was stopped at a Cracker Barrel in Nebraska one time and I saw a Ford F-150 pulling a Forest River Blue Ridge bunkhouse, the camper was at least 40ft long. I talked to the owner and he told me the truck pulled the fifth wheel great. A Ford is a pulling machine, most of the time when I’m passed pulling my Cedar Creek it’s a Ford. I normally run 70mph and a Ford pulling a fifth wheel will blow me off the road. If you are worried about stopping the camper just install disk brakes on the camper

As a whole, this post was seriously irresponsible, far from truthful, and, I better let it go at that or face 30 days suspension.
(The story could have been worse. He could have been towing with a new Ford Maverick)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #25
Spock123

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

As a whole, this post was seriously irresponsible, far from truthful, and, I better let it go at that or face 30 days suspension.
(The story could have been worse. He could have been towing with a new Ford Maverick)
It was the truth and it didn’t bother me because I was going to eat in Cracker Barrel and he was driving on. He said most people look at his tires, there was about inches of rubber on the wheels. I saw a truck pulling a travel trailer that the bumper was less than a foot off the road. You can’t fix stupid.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #26
markcee

Quote:

In re-reading the post I think Spock was just relating everything the F150 driver told him. The way it’s written it does sound like the disk brake/tow beast parts were Spock’s .02, but don’t think so after a second read.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:

Just wait! I'm sure that's going to happen sooner than later!
They'll be like the F150s & the Rangers with an absolutely ridiculous tow rating that every salesman will be quoting.
And as the guy in the Cracker Barrel parking lot said "Ford's are towing beast!"
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:11 PM   #28
Spock123

It was just a joke about a Ford being a pulling machine. My buddy has a Ford F-250 that he pulls a Wildcat fifth wheel with. He is always getting on me, he pulls his Wildcat at 70mph and he gets better fuel mileage than I do running 63mph, he has deleted his Ford. I have a GMC 2021 Denali Dually and my buddy rags me all the time about how much better his Ford is.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:19 AM   #29
notanlines

Jimmy, the way it was written I thought the last half was your part of the conversation. My bad.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:33 PM   #30
asherdav

Yes there are several out there. Take a look at the cougar line of 1/2 ton towables. We have a 2018 25 res and factory weight is 7400. What you'll need to look at is the pin weights and the weight of your hitch. Then look at your factory weight placard and decide what is best for you and what you are comfortable with.
asherdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #31
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherdav View Post
Yes there are several out there. Take a look at the cougar line of 1/2 ton towables. We have a 2018 25 res and factory weight is 7400. What you'll need to look at is the pin weights and the weight of your hitch. Then look at your factory weight placard and decide what is best for you and what you are comfortable with.
Unfortunately loaded up to it's 10K GVWR the 25RES will have a pin weight north of 2K. That pin weight, plus the weight of a couple of occupants, plus the weight of the hitch and any other cargo in the truck will easily exceed the payload of 99% of the 1/2 ton trucks out there.

As a Cougar '1/2 ton' owner (albeit a travel trailer), I've BTDT. My advertised brochure tongue weight is 810. In real life it's over 1200 lbs.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:10 PM   #32
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourbtgait View Post
Best style 5th wheel. Miss our Kit like that. Easy to pull.
I look at the ones now and no wonder you have to have a diesel with the noses.
Another misconception about modern diesels, our 2016 Ram is just as quiet as a gas and doesn’t smell. Currently diesel is cheaper than gas and I get better mileage.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote