Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
Camping family

Slide out. Out of alignment

Okay took my 2020 29 rks to dealer cause of a slide out problem. Dealer said it is out of alignment is the problem. Can someone tell me what causes a slide to get out of alignment? Of course it’s not under warranty so I will have to pay for the fix. Along with the repair of the underneath where it caused the black stuff to start to fray.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Bob what kind of slides do you have; cable, ram etc. and which type is "out of alignment"?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

What caused it to be out of alignment can be anything from a stretched cable, a pulley that came off the wall, a "skipped gear" or even a small piece of 1x2 trim that fell on the floor and got caught under the slide. Any number of things, some normal occurrences, some from breakage, some from "bad luck" can cause a slide to get out of alignment.

Keystone's warranty only covers adjustments/alignments for the first 90 days of ownership. After that, it's the owner's responsibility. I know, I know, but agree with it or not, read your owner's manual, it's there in black and white....

If there was a component failure and the component is covered by warranty, then repairing the trailer, including realignment of the slide "should be covered". If it was anything "you would be responsible for" then chances are Keystone won't approve the warranty repair.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I figure the OPs issue will be "self paid" but the causes and resolutions depending on what type of slides and particular situation needs to be known by the members to help. The videos I've seen of that particular model show one ram slide and one cable slide so know what's what is imperative. To compound matters as I've looked at that line of trailers with E and W models the types of drives on the slides can change. OP needs to specify what's going on IMO.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:28 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny,

I think the entertainment slide is a rack and pinion (ram) slide, the main slide is a cable slide and the closet slide in the bedroom is a Schwintek slide....

Nothing like a little variety to spice up life....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Danny,

I think the entertainment slide is a rack and pinion (ram) slide, the main slide is a cable slide and the closet slide in the bedroom is a Schwintek slide....

Nothing like a little variety to spice up life....

Yeah that's what I saw as well. Why they do what they do????

OP needs to clarify what it is that's an issue for definitive suggestions to be given.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #7
Camping family

I don’t know the difference in slides. I do know it is not cable driven. From reading the answers I’m guessing the alignment issue occurred from the slide catching the side drawer awhile back while opening it. That was my question what would cause a slide to,get out of alignment and I knew someone on hear would be able to answer my question. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:24 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
I don’t know the difference in slides. I do know it is not cable driven. From reading the answers I’m guessing the alignment issue occurred from the slide catching the side drawer awhile back while opening it. That was my question what would cause a slide to,get out of alignment and I knew someone on hear would be able to answer my question. Thanks everyone for the help.

Bob if you don't know the difference in the various slide mechanisms how do you know it's not the cable slide? IMO that would be the one that would be most liable to cause problems to your darco. Your big living slide is cable. Your others are ram and schwintek. Catching a drawer, by looking at the floorplan, would seem to be something that would happen with the big slide. What is in the slide that is messed up?
Old 10-18-2021, 06:26 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Depending on how long you tried to extend the slide when it got stuck, you may have “jumped a tooth”. Its an easy fix as long as the teeth and gear pack are both intact. If in fact that’s the issue, I think an hour labor is fair.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:31 AM   #10
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Bob if you don't know the difference in the various slide mechanisms how do you know it's not the cable slide? IMO that would be the one that would be most liable to cause problems to your darco. Your big living slide is cable. Your others are ram and schwintek. Catching a drawer, by looking at the floorplan, would seem to be something that would happen with the big slide. What is in the slide that is messed up?
I know it’s not a cable slide cause it doesn’t have any cables like the other slide does. Yes the living room slide is cable driven. The one I’m having issues with is not.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:36 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I know it’s not a cable slide cause it doesn’t have any cables like the other slide does. Yes the living room slide is cable driven. The one I’m having issues with is not.
So, there are two other slide mechanisms in your trailer. Which slide is having issues? Hell, we're playing a "guessing game" with "no, but you're getting closer" type answers. Just tell us (or post a photo of the slide) so we can know as much as you do about which slide is not working.... Then, someone will have enough information to at least address how to fix (or avoid problems) with a specific slide type.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-21-2021, 07:52 AM   #12
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
So, there are two other slide mechanisms in your trailer. Which slide is having issues? Hell, we're playing a "guessing game" with "no, but you're getting closer" type answers. Just tell us (or post a photo of the slide) so we can know as much as you do about which slide is not working.... Then, someone will have enough information to at least address how to fix (or avoid problems) with a specific slide type.
The slide in question is the entertainment slide. The problem with it is when closed water is leaking underneath of it. I took it to the dealer to have it repaired was told slide is out of alignment. Reason for the post was to see what suggestions someone had as to how the slide get out of alignment. I just want to avoid this issue again if I can.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:57 AM   #13
adeakins

Slide alignment is 2-dimensional: vertical or horizontal. If vertical, it’s typically the result of the slide not pulling in enough. More common is horizontal alignment where one side is nit even with the trailer in one side. Assuming the slide is a two-motor electric mechanism, pulling the slide in (or, out depending on where it is when you start) about four inches and then back .… and doing that four to six time before fully closing (or extending) the slide will fix that. If the slide is a single motor or hydraulic, the solution is different. Google the problem and you should find several informative DIY solutions to try before going to a dealer or, worse; somewhere like Camping World.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out