Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #1
Shasta Bob

Security ideas needed

I was camping in a state park, and others in the park were hit by thief's of camping equipment. now I'm looking for some type of security , Camera or motion lights , trail cameras.
We were not hit by the vandals as i expected the possibility of rain my camp was picked up but the bins were not locked, so now i need ideas. Help
2019 Cougar 315 RLS
Shasta Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Bob View Post
I was camping in a state park, and others in the park were hit by thief's of camping equipment. now I'm looking for some type of security , Camera or motion lights , trail cameras.
We were not hit by the vandals as i expected the possibility of rain my camp was picked up but the bins were not locked, so now i need ideas. Help
Cameras won’t do much good these days…even with photo proof it seems people aren’t being charged if thefts are under $1000..I have heavy duty motorcycle chain locks..bought from a motorcycle dealer..probably get on Amazon now…maybe get some solar powered security lights and place them around the camper…everything of value locked in the trailer and get a beware of dog sign and put it on the camper…I lock my grill and bikes up..would take a lot of time to cut through them
Old 09-25-2021, 05:14 PM   #3
retiredusps69

security lights

Son mounted solar powered motion detector lights with velcro, he didn't want to drill holes. they are sort of wedge shape. they light up enough if you go out at night and not to bright to disturb your neighbors. he pulls them off when traveling.one night we went for a walk ,he pulls out of his pocket made walking a trail easier. no one thought to bring a light.
retiredusps69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
Essvar

Cameras are always an “after incident” in hopes of identifying the person. First line of defense is alway don’t leave a “low hanging fruit”. Second is lock that fruit and light it up.

Solar 12v motion light and heavy duty chain will deter 90% if they go past those then they will get your stuff no matter what, and only then is when cameras would come into play.

I lived in southern Oregon for 25yrs, camped in Hornbrook a lot…. I learned the hard way about how meth heads operate.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:15 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

JMO....State parks and other "public" access areas for RVers are rife with folks that "hit it and get it". Been to many, love the areas but don't like the "wildlife" they attract. The best place to stay to see my son is on a lake with a COE campground; pretty, nice spots but so many drunks I have no use for it.

If and when I choose to stay in such a place I carry a long, heavy chain that I intertwine through my cookers and tables. Between the aluminum legs, chains, locks etc. I'm not too worried about someone coming in to take something in the middle of the night. Puppy is there as well and let's me know long before anything is going to happen so I can grab "Python". During the day I assume (hope) most campers are decent and would be a deterrent in and of themselves if I'm gone. I've never lost a thing (knock on wood) and I leave a LOT of stuff out (generally with no deterrents).....but I'm selective in where I stay. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #6
GaryUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Bob View Post
If your trailer has the CH751 locks on any of the storage compartments change them. I changed all the locks on my trailer even the ones that weren't the 751's. I put a lock on the propane compartment. (I know it's not supposed to be locked). Don't leave anything valuable out when you are not at the trailer. Talk to your neighbors, at least introduce yourself or say hello, that way you know who should be at their trailer.

Even with that, expensive items, cameras, computers, firearms, they all go in the truck with us when we go out for the day.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:57 AM   #7
Stumpy75

Security cables

I use cables instead of chains. Bolt cutters can take out a chain fairly quickly, but will choke on cables. Most thieves don't carry a cable cutter...

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:26 AM   #8
notanlines

Let's remember before all this talk goes 'macho man,' you can't shoot an individual stealing your bicycle, your car, your laptop or anything else. Fire in the air if you think a meth-head will be scared off (you'd be wrong) but you cannot shoot a thief.
Richard Pryor once said "A wino ain't afraid of nothin' but running out of wine." Guess who meth-heads emulate?
On another note, I simply cannot imagine going through life loading up all my electronics, cameras, watches, etc into the van every time DW and I leave the RV. That's living/camping in fear. No, it is NOT being careful, it is living in fear.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:26 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy75 View Post
I use cables instead of chains. Bolt cutters can take out a chain fairly quickly, but will choke on cables. Most thieves don't carry a cable cutter...
I have two of these…they came with locks though..can’t rememeber what I paid for them…bought them about 10 years I guess, for my kids dirt bikes and four wheelers…they are heavy duty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCD7C4AC-1AD2-43CF-92C2-F171A1CF0698.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	36029  
Old 09-26-2021, 04:35 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
JMO....State parks and other "public" access areas for RVers are rife with folks that "hit it and get it". Been to many, love the areas but don't like the "wildlife" they attract. The best place to stay to see my son is on a lake with a COE campground; pretty, nice spots but so many drunks I have no use for it.

If and when I choose to stay in such a place I carry a long, heavy chain that I intertwine through my cookers and tables. Between the aluminum legs, chains, locks etc. I'm not too worried about someone coming in to take something in the middle of the night. Puppy is there as well and let's me know long before anything is going to happen so I can grab "Python". During the day I assume (hope) most campers are decent and would be a deterrent in and of themselves if I'm gone. I've never lost a thing (knock on wood) and I leave a LOT of stuff out (generally with no deterrents).....but I'm selective in where I stay. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw as well.

I hope by "python" you are not referring to a body part!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:09 AM   #11
Stumpy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I have two of these…they came with locks though..can’t rememeber what I paid for them…bought them about 10 years I guess for my kids dirt bikes and four wheelers…they are heavy duty
They look like they would do the job!

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:10 AM   #12
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Let's remember before all this talk goes 'macho man,' you can't shoot an individual stealing your bicycle, your car, your laptop or anything else. Fire in the air if you think a meth-head will be scared off (you'd be wrong) but you cannot shoot a thief.
Richard Pryor once said "A wino ain't afraid of nothin' but running out of wine." Guess who meth-heads emulate?
On another note, I simply cannot imagine going through life loading up all my electronics, cameras, watches, etc into the van every time DW and I leave the RV. That's living/camping in fear. No, it is NOT being careful, it is living in fear.
^^^x 2
What Jim said.
I do lock my bikes to RV, and I do take laptop with me.
Other than that, they can have at it.
Taking revenge on a thief will far worsen your life than theirs.
Keep a tidy camp site, which should be done anyway, is probably the best advice I can give.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:22 AM   #13
jasin1

I’ve been using these locks lately..didn’t pay this much for them..I bought a pack of two for around $40 a year or two ago
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA880376-673A-4F99-A4D3-C0309387273A.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	36030  
Old 09-26-2021, 05:58 AM   #14
ChuckS

Trail cameras and such are ok I suppose... Its all after the fact stuff so I don't use any of it... Also over the last ten years boon docking ain't like it used to be..

There was an unwritten rule of respect for another mans property and you didn't mess with another camper's gear... Nowadays if you leave lots of nice things on display around your RV and go off sight seeing you are a target of opportunity...

We cable lock our two generators and keep them covered and not visible from the road, etc as best as possible..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:59 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’ve been using these locks lately..didn’t pay this much for them..I bought a pack of two for around $40 a year or two ago
Lowe's sells a similar lock for about $16...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Master-Lock...adlock/3056623

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:45 AM   #16
Ken / Claudia

We are talking campgrounds here and I would say mostly close to a large city. We called the thefts "Grab and Go" I and the other officers took all reports in 5 state parks in the Portland area and many times in Forest Service parks when no one else was available. It happened in day time and night. Mostly night. Our thought was the area was checked during the day and targets picked out. I do not recall a RV or vehicle broken into. Unlocked vehicles were targets. Bicycles, stoves, lanterns, generators, WDHs lying on ground were type of stuff normally taken. Go into a pawn shop and see what they have in large numbers and that's what will likely disappear.
Just don't leave all the stuff out without putting it back or lock it up. If you want cameras to solve the crime you need vehicle license plates and good shots of the suspects. Otherwise they really will not help at all, unless the victim knows the perps in the pictures, as in the loud mouth drunks from space xx nearby.
Is this a new problem? Not that I know about. It was happening in the 80's and really old cops might say in the 60s and 70s. It would be more now as more people are camping and there are more crimes in many places not being investigated or prosecuted. Their are always those I met who would not report low level crimes always stating the police don't do nothing. They were never cops that said that. The evidence room gets thousands of items that get found one way or another and never connected to a theft because of no report filed. I always did something, that does not mean all crimes get solved.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:54 AM   #17
BookPaul74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Trail cameras and such are ok I suppose... Its all after the fact stuff so I don't use any of it... Also over the last ten years boon docking ain't like it used to be..

There was an unwritten rule of respect for another mans property and you didn't mess with another camper's gear... Nowadays if you leave lots of nice things on display around your RV and go off sight seeing you are a target of opportunity...

We cable lock our two generators and keep them covered and not visible from the road, etc as best as possible..
Mine stays in the bed of the truck because being an old person and not able to lift it in and out. I have a cable lock that I lock it in the bed, underneath the tonneau cover and when not running the tailgate is closed and locked.

I also rarely have anything out, the more you pull out, the more you have to put away. I do have a satellite dome on the ground but try to place it where it’s not out in the open and I’ve not come up with a good way to lock it up. I need to take the dome off and see if I can make an anchor point. I don’t want it on the roof incase I’m camping in the woods.
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:13 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I hope by "python" you are not referring to a body part!

Ever watch "Next of Kin" with Patrick Swayze? Might want to keep a "python" by the bed.....

As far as Jim's comments on use of force and locking up everything every time you leave....I agree. Don't want or need the thread veering off into the "macho man" territory but Texas does allow use of deadly force to protect personal property;

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm

That said, I can't imagine trying to get one's self embroiled in such an iffy situation over a bbq pit or bicycle. If they are armed and threatening a loved one or myself is one thing, the little things aren't even kind of worth it....file a police report. The slope is WAY to slippery and unknown to take that kind of chance.

As far as locking up everything when you leave, again I agree with Jim. If I have to do that I don't need to be going anywhere because as he said, I would just be "camping in fear" everywhere. Nah, I've got other things to worry about.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:04 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

It seems to me that the "public funded recreational sites" around larger cities have become more of a "homeless camp" than a "campground". On our last trip, state parks and municipal campgrounds that were "really nice" were "not so nice" this past trip. We have stayed in several of these parks in the past and were looking forward to them this past trip. Some of them were the same as before, but some of them, typically those close to large cities, were entirely different from past visits.

Many showed more run down bath houses, full trash cans, older RV's with lots of "older camping equipment set up around them (obviously semi-permanent residences). Along with that came more crowded camping, more noise, more traffic, and even higher prices.

At many of them, I questioned the "intent of some fellow campers". No, I'm not an "old fogey" just someone who tries to keep my head out of the cockpit and who takes notice of changes that happen around me. I didn't feel comfortable in some of the same campgrounds that we looked forward to visiting again. It was "who was camped around us" that caused my concern.

No, we didn't leave anything laying around if we weren't outside using it..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:37 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It seems to me that the "public funded recreational sites" around larger cities have become more of a "homeless camp" than a "campground". On our last trip, state parks and municipal campgrounds that were "really nice" were "not so nice" this past trip. We have stayed in several of these parks in the past and were looking forward to them this past trip. Some of them were the same as before, but some of them, typically those close to large cities, were entirely different from past visits.

Many showed more run down bath houses, full trash cans, older RV's with lots of "older camping equipment set up around them (obviously semi-permanent residences). Along with that came more crowded camping, more noise, more traffic, and even higher prices.

At many of them, I questioned the "intent of some fellow campers". No, I'm not an "old fogey" just someone who tries to keep my head out of the cockpit and who takes notice of changes that happen around me. I didn't feel comfortable in some of the same campgrounds that we looked forward to visiting again. It was "who was camped around us" that caused my concern.

No, we didn't leave anything laying around if we weren't outside using it..... YMMV

The more we travel during this "new age" that has been foisted upon us we have noticed LOTS of changes in "who" is camping and "what" they are camping in. Lots of folks have literally moved into their RV as a home for one reason or another so campgrounds actually become mobile home parks of yesteryear instead of an RV campground. In some populated areas that spells possible trouble. The biggest trouble we find is all the new folks have no idea about "camping" in an RV, they have moved their city ways into a small area then impose them on everyone there to the detriment of everyone else.

As far as "security measures" I would just note something I may have before; the first time we went to FL (without an RV) and stayed in this little fishing village I was amazed at all the folks that didn't have anything (to me) and seemed to work to live hand to mouth. We rented a place there and everyone was just so nice. We decided to start staying a much longer time and needed a place to put the RV so I asked my SIL that lived there. He knew me well and just told me I would not like anything/anyone in that place and needed to stay in a "nicer" place. I disregarded that recommendation and decided to stay at a campground that everyone said was "sketchy".....and it "looked" VERY sketchy when I pulled in.

On that maiden voyage I took all kinds of "security measures" assuming the worst. As the months passed I found those folks to be just as nice and outgoing as the other townfolks (with the exception of the occasional drunk bunch that moved in then were promptly kicked out). I chained everything down, locked and double locked everything just waiting. Over time I removed those security measures and have never needed them. I leave all my stuff out unlocked and never put anything away - if it disappeared it's just "stuff" anyway and replaceable. I've put things out (brand new in the box) with FREE - Please Take Me and no one would take it until they came to my door and made sure it was OK. I could go on but you get the picture.

In the end, for me, it was a needed experience that sure helped me understand that you can't judge a book by the cover. It also impressed upon me that what I think has no bearing on reality in a situation like that; that fellow that works from daylight to dark fishing, tonging, whatever and has nothing (to me) in reality probably thinks he's on top of the world and has no wants. I spoke to one of the fishermen one day and asked why he didn't move to a place that had more opportunities. He looked at me as if I was crazy, "What! I've got the best life in the world! We've been here for generations. I love what I do, love this place and would never leave."

Nah, I don't need security measures for my "stuff" and if part of it disappeared (NOT my truck ) I figure someone needed it more than me - and it's replaceable. I want to feel that way but it doesn't mean I'm not ever vigilant and aware (wary) of what goes on around me....because I am.