Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2021, 04:58 PM   #21
Javi

They've been putting the 80 amp circuit breaker in the hydraulic system for about 3 years now, but it never hurts to check.
And if you're not having issues with the jacks popping adding striction fluid is not necessary or recommended.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:41 PM   #22
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
They've been putting the 80 amp circuit breaker in the hydraulic system for about 3 years now, but it never hurts to check.
And if you're not having issues with the jacks popping adding striction fluid is not necessary or recommended.
Sadly your statement regarding the Keystone Alpine is just not factual.. the OEM resettable breaker being installed on 2019,2020, and 2021 Alpines for the Dual Polarity solenoid IS IN FACT 50 AMPS…

Also..on some models of the Alpine (2021 Only) the Lippert six point hyd system has been replaced with..

Equalizer Systems hydraulic level up and hydraulic slide system. I am not certain of what amperage rating the Equalizer system is using .. it also has a dual polarity solenoid..

Some Grand Design units are now coming OEM with an 80 amp breaker for the Lippert level up system

But NOT a Keystone Alpine .

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulinit View Post
I couldn’t remember what the oil was called (stiction). Chad had been told about it by the techs too and was passing all the info on about both the oil and circuit breaker.

My husband wants to get some oil and put in our system and also try a circuit breaker. Reading about all the issues everyone was having sounded like this might help.

Shelley
Haulinit aka The Tiny McMansion
The techs used Maxima 15w fork oil.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #24
haulinit

Hi Javi! Our jacks pop and also shut down due to low voltage errors.

Shelley
haulinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:43 AM   #25
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Sadly your statement regarding the Keystone Alpine is just not factual.. the OEM resettable breaker being installed on 2019,2020, and 2021 Alpines for the Dual Polarity solenoid IS IN FACT 50 AMPS…

Also..on some models of the Alpine (2021 Only) the Lippert six point hyd system has been replaced with..

Equalizer Systems hydraulic level up and hydraulic slide system. I am not certain of what amperage rating the Equalizer system is using .. it also has a dual polarity solenoid..

Some Grand Design units are now coming OEM with an 80 amp breaker for the Lippert level up system

But NOT a Keystone Alpine .
Then my dealer changed it on mine because my 2020 Avalanche (made in Jan 20) has an 80 amp and I didn't change it... I'd have remember it if I had.
Old 09-21-2021, 04:28 AM   #26
ChuckS

Not gonna argue.. Stated the facts about the Keystone Alpine... Not an Avalanche..

The Alpine has an OEM 80 amp breaker for the Inverter circuit but 50 amp OEM for dual polarity solenoid..

Anyone that owns the Lippert hyd level up system and hasn't checked that OEM breaker will have nothing but issues sooner or later if it is 50 amp..

The hyd pump motor will draw north of 70 amps OR more on cold weather days and will cause auto level errors as well as start stop start issues with hyd slide outs.

If the RV has the IN Command system then everytime there is a surge on the dc bus they will have issues with it as well...

Old 09-21-2021, 05:16 AM   #27
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Not gonna argue.. Stated the facts about the Keystone Alpine... Not an Avalanche..

The Alpine has an OEM 80 amp breaker for the Inverter circuit but 50 amp OEM for dual polarity solenoid..

Anyone that owns the Lippert hyd level up system and hasn't checked that OEM breaker will have nothing but issues sooner or later if it is 50 amp..

The hyd pump motor will draw north of 70 amps OR more on cold weather days and will cause auto level errors as well as start stop start issues with hyd slide outs.

If the RV has the IN Command system then every time there is a surge on the dc bus they will have issues with it as well...
I had read about the breaker and questioned my dealer about it during PDI and so both of us looked at it and it was 80 amp... and yes the wire from the breaker goes to the pump motor..

So far in the 52 nights we've spent in the trailer since July 22, 2020 we have had no popping and no unexplained issues with the Level Up system. Admittedly it is a little difficult to find sub zero weather to test the system in Texas but we did survive several weekends of 20 to 30 degree nights..

I specifically did not want the abortion that is the In Command system and that is WHY I bought an Avalanche.

The only issue I've had with the D/C side of my trailer is the auto reset on the awnings. Neither awning will retract fully without the breaker resetting at least once. Both will extend with no problem, but just will not retract.
I've loosened every clamp more than once with no improvement.. Since I rarely deploy either awning it isn't a big deal and one day I'll get around to doing something about it.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:55 PM   #28
ri_truck_guy

Been doing a lot of research and came across this thread. I’ve got a bit of a head scratcher. 2019 Fuzion 419 with the Level Up system. I was getting frequent low voltage errors and the system would just power down. I replaced the factory 50 amp breaker with an 80 amp unit. The low voltage errors disappeared but now I’m getting frequent occurrences of the solenoid just clicking. Checked for loose connections/crimps. Everything was tight. Had the batteries bench tested. Everything was good, and I get a consistent 13v out of them. To make it more confusing, although I can trace only one 6ga wire from the 80 amp breaker to the solenoid, even with that wire completely disconnected from the breaker the Level Up system powers up when on shore power. Any thoughts out there?
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited 103 CI
Everyone has issues...some people's are just more interesting."
ri_truck_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:08 PM   #29
Javi

Most likely the converter is hard wired to the system so it is trying to provide power to it.

The problem may be the amperage of your converter...
Old 05-31-2022, 03:00 PM   #30
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri_truck_guy View Post
Been doing a lot of research and came across this thread. I’ve got a bit of a head scratcher. 2019 Fuzion 419 with the Level Up system. I was getting frequent low voltage errors and the system would just power down. I replaced the factory 50 amp breaker with an 80 amp unit. The low voltage errors disappeared but now I’m getting frequent occurrences of the solenoid just clicking. Checked for loose connections/crimps. Everything was tight. Had the batteries bench tested. Everything was good, and I get a consistent 13v out of them. To make it more confusing, although I can trace only one 6ga wire from the 80 amp breaker to the solenoid, even with that wire completely disconnected from the breaker the Level Up system powers up when on shore power. Any thoughts out there?
When you say "powers up", please clarify for me. Do you mean that the control stuff still works but the pump motor itself does NOT run....or do you mean that the pump motor DOES run, along with the control circuits being operable?
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:02 PM   #31
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Most likely the converter is hard wired to the system so it is trying to provide power to it.

The problem may be the amperage of your converter...
There is almost zero doubt that the converter will not have enough current output (amps) to run the pump motor. I've put a clamp on amprobe on the pump motor wiring and ran the landing gear stuff up and down.....always right at 70 amps being pulled by the motor.....and a bit more if the weather is cold...like in the 30s Many times, the converter/charger is only a 55A unit, so that's a 15 amp overload if the converter is trying to run the pump motor.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:08 PM   #32
ri_truck_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
When you say "powers up", please clarify for me. Do you mean that the control stuff still works but the pump motor itself does NOT run....or do you mean that the pump motor DOES run, along with the control circuits being operable?
The control circuits and the pump both run.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:20 PM   #33
ri_truck_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
There is almost zero doubt that the converter will not have enough current output (amps) to run the pump motor. I've put a clamp on amprobe on the pump motor wiring and ran the landing gear stuff up and down.....always right at 70 amps being pulled by the motor.....and a bit more if the weather is cold...like in the 30s Many times, the converter/charger is only a 55A unit, so that's a 15 amp overload if the converter is trying to run the pump motor.
I’m sure the converter is providing power to the system. I’m trying to figure out how it’s doing that, potentially to disable it and run on the 80 amp circuit only. I can only trace a single 6ga wire from the Lippert solenoid to the 80 amp breaker I installed. Unfortunately, the way the RV is constructed I can’t fully access part of the harness to see if something is somehow spliced in. I’m trying to find where that connection from the converter be located might be located.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:53 PM   #34
Javi

Quote:
I’m sure the converter is providing power to the system. I’m trying to figure out how it’s doing that, potentially to disable it and run on the 80 amp circuit only. I can only trace a single 6ga wire from the Lippert solenoid to the 80 amp breaker I installed. Unfortunately, the way the RV is constructed I can’t fully access part of the harness to see if something is somehow spliced in. I’m trying to find where that connection from the converter be located might be located.
It will be located at the power distribution panel.

Wiring runs from converter to distribution center and out to the battery. Sometimes it will run to a disconnect and then to a breaker and battery..

My OEM 75 amp converter has 6-gage wire from converter to panel, then to disconnect and on to one pole of 50 amp breaker with the 6-gage to the pump sharing the same post along with a 2-gage wire to the battery. No fuse at all.

I'm currently rewiring the entire 12 volt system from distribution center to battery, including converter.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:18 AM   #35
ChuckS

Quote:
The level,up control panel has a direct wire from the fwd control module to the battery..it has its on inline fuse on a single red wire

The solenoid click issue after you have replaced the OEM breaker and batteries and all connections are tight and clean sounds like an issue with the solenoid itself

Some simple checks would verify this..

A video I out together showing how to test the voltsge pevel dir#fly at the solenoid itself while the pump is running

There is an extend and retract terminal on the solenoid.. if t(e corkage drops under 12 volts you will have issues

https://youtu.be/gZaJf7WVLck

Old 06-01-2022, 06:20 PM   #36
texas-traveler

had a similar problem with my 2018 keystone avalanche. intermittently the hydraulics would not work, just click without being hooked to shore power. found that the hydraulic system was connected to a 50-amp inline breaker that intermittently open then reset. changed it to a 80 amp.. still had problems. finally rechecked all terminals again that were crimped at the factory on all the battery cables and power wires negative and positive. found they were not securely crimped on the cables. replaced all connectors, total 17 of them and used a hydraulic crimper to get a good crimp. replaced the short jumper cables between the batteries with new jumpers.
next thing I found was the grounds to the frame from the battery cables were only attached with a self tapping screw. Also found the same condition at the power converter. I remover the ground wires and cleaned the painted surface for a better ground connection and added a stud through metal panel and re-attached the grounds with heavier terminals. with all this rebuild it has not had an issue with drop out of power
still need to go back in and replace the 12vdc power wire terminal to the level up control panel. intermittently it has lost zero a couple of times. Lippert service says that happens when voltage drops intermittently to the control panel
Old 06-01-2022, 06:27 PM   #37
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas-traveler View Post
had a similar problem with my 2018 keystone avalanche. intermittently the hydraulics would not work, just click without being hooked to shore power. found that the hydraulic system was connected to a 50-amp inline breaker that intermittently open then reset. changed it to a 80 amp.. still had problems. finally rechecked all terminals again that were crimped at the factory on all the battery cables and power wires negative and positive. found they were not securely crimped on the cables. replaced all connectors, total 17 of them and used a hydraulic crimper to get a good crimp. replaced the short jumper cables between the batteries with new jumpers.
next thing I found was the grounds to the frame from the battery cables were only attached with a self tapping screw. Also found the same condition at the power converter. I remover the ground wires and cleaned the painted surface for a better ground connection and added a stud through metal panel and re-attached the grounds with heavier terminals. with all this rebuild it has not had an issue with drop out of power
still need to go back in and replace the 12vdc power wire terminal to the level up control panel. intermittently it has lost zero a couple of times. Lippert service says that happens when voltage drops intermittently to the control panel
Exactly why I spent the Memorial Day weekend rewiring my 2020 Avalanche. New Battle Born batteries arrived today and I will try to finish the project this weekend.

A lot of work and expense, but should really help with the DC issues.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:51 AM   #38
MarkEHansen

Looking at the hydraulic diagram for the 6-point leveling system, it looks to me like it can adjust the left mid and left rear (together), the right mid and right rear (together) or the front (landing gear) left and right (together).

When leveling, doesn't it need to adjust the length of the two front (landing gear) legs independently of each other? Say, if it has to raise the right side of the coach?

Same for the mid and rear leg (on either side). Wouldn't it possibly need to adjust the mid and rear legs independently of each other?

I'm referring to the diagram on page 155 of the master Lippert Leveling and Stabilization manual: https://support.lci1.com/master-owne...-stabilization
Old 11-25-2022, 06:28 AM   #39
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Looking at the hydraulic diagram for the 6-point leveling system, it looks to me like it can adjust the left mid and left rear (together), the right mid and right rear (together) or the front (landing gear) left and right (together).

When leveling, doesn't it need to adjust the length of the two front (landing gear) legs independently of each other? Say, if it has to raise the right side of the coach?

Same for the mid and rear leg (on either side). Wouldn't it possibly need to adjust the mid and rear legs independently of each other?

I'm referring to the diagram on page 155 of the master Lippert Leveling and Stabilization manual: https://support.lci1.com/master-owne...-stabilization
The front LG are connected in tandem. If the passenger side of the RV is raised (side to side) the mid/rear levelers do the lifting.. They are also connected in tandem and isolated from the opposite side

Since a liquid cannot be compressed then when the passenger side is raised via the mid/rear leveler the passenger side Frt LG will also extend a bit and the drivers side front LG will retract a bit because of the weight being transferred..