Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #21
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
Hi 5J’s
Could you give a bit more detail about pulling the vent? I would like to do the same but cannot see and screws and don’t want to just try prying them off.

Also, has anyone seen aftermarket vents that allow for adjustable flow as well as direction?
MaxxAir fans have variable speeds & the fan is reversible.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:59 PM   #22
Gibber

AC duct vent?

Thanks for the Maxxair suggestion Travelin.

I checked their web site but all I could find were interior to exterior vents. What I am looking for is the type of vent that goes on the ceiling to direct/control the air flow out of an AC duct.

When we got home I did more searching and found one at Valterra. They call it a dampered, rotating, heating/air conditioning register.
Gibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #23
KevinGwin

Did you have to build something around the bedroom
Ac unit on the roof in order to level it out, or is that roof vent already on a level portion of the roof?
KevinGwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #24
KevinGwin

Hey, I finally got the unit. Before I install, is it nice and level on the roof above the bedroom where I’m installing it. My boss had to build a frame to get the correct angle on his 5th wheel, but I’m assuming I can just drop it in?
Old 05-22-2021, 09:33 AM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGwin View Post
Hey, I finally got the unit. Before I install, is it nice and level on the roof above the bedroom where I’m installing it. My boss had to build a frame to get the correct angle on his 5th wheel, but I’m assuming I can just drop it in?
Couple things... first you have a gasket to put under the unit. Piece of foam. Next, before dropping it in, the rubber roof folds into the space you had the vent; take a stapler and make sure it is flush by stapling where the rubber folds over the edges so you don' tear it. Make sure your electrical leads don't pinch and you are able to route them so they will connect readily. Last, at your breaker, make sure it has a black (hot) wire connected and either pull it out or at least shut it off so we will be able to get a follow up (you won't be fried). I am kind of surprised it took so long to get the A/C or are you just getting ready to install?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #26
KevinGwin

Thanks…... I’m assuming it came w the gasket, haven’t opened it all up yet. Just now got around to buying the unit, that’s why it took so long sounds like getting it up on the roof is half the battle
Old 05-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #27
KevinGwin

Also, about to buy some wirenuts on Amazon, so they are there when we get home tomorrow, anyone know why gauge the wires are most likely?
Old 05-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #28
wiredgeorge

I don't remember from installing my A/C but am guessing the yellow wire nuts would be about right; I think 10-12 ga? And yes, the gasket will be in with the A/C. Not sure about the long bolts and they may come with the lower unit.

Easiest way to get the A/C on the roof (my opinion only) is to either have a big strong son-in-law help or put a ladder up on the side, tie around the A/C box and drag the box up the ladder after you get up there. The ladder feet have to be well away from the camper. Two sets of hands obviously make it a lot easier.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:26 PM   #29
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGwin View Post
I believe they have scroll compressors that don’t need to be perfectly level. Probably more important that it is sandwiched evenly in the opening of the rv and completely sealed to prevent water intrusion.
This new cougar A/C Is really at an angle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD275B42-957F-4381-B3E4-CC76FEC13FC1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	33686  

Tags
bed, bedroom