Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #1
AbHDToyHauler

Battery storage in the tool box on ramp

I was wondering if anyone had used the steel tool box that comes on the ramp of my Fuzion for battery storage?? I was thinking if setup right it would be perfect . Have batteries on a rail system to allow easy access for service. I don't really use the tool box now. Tried keeping my power cord there but it's a pain. Any thoughts?
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Batteries typically are located as far forward as practical as that provides the "smoothest ride" for the liquid filled batteries. The rear of any trailer is the roughest riding location. Installing liquid acid batteries in a steel box, located at the extreme rear of a trailer may be a 'recipe for disaster' …

That part addressed, the length of wiring from the battery location to the converter/charger and the additional wiring needed to power the trailer's 12 VDC electrical system are currently installed in the forward section of the trailer. Attempting to move all that wiring would be a "daunting task" and the simplest way to "relocate the batteries would be to run two "extremely large gauge wires from the new location and tie them into the existing wiring at the front of the trailer... Doing that would mean either "devising a means to protect the large gauge wires under the trailer or removing the coroplast to run the wiring inside the "belly area".

Then there's the issue of "battery gassing inside a steel compartment" and the potential corrosive effects of that gassing. Couple that with the need to vent the battery gasses away from anything that might be a source of ignition/explosion....

While it's a "doable mod" I'd suggest thinking through all the potential issues before "cutting wires and moving battery boxes"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
roadglide

I added 2 batterys right front center in the storage area . I used 1inch alumaumn angle iron screwed to the floor holding the AGM batteries sung aganist the front wall.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I added 2 batterys right front center in the storage area . I used 1inch alumaumn angle iron screwed to the floor holding the AGM batteries sung aganist the front wall.
Jerry,

Do you mean in the front storage area, just behind the pinbox ?? or a storage area in the front of the garage ??

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
notanlines

Jerry, "I used 1inch alumaumn angle iron" We can tell you've been retired too long!
And we can tell it's a slow day when readers like me pick out phrases like aluminum angle iron.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
roadglide

I should leave a thank you to john and Jim your both doing a fine job and its comments like yours that make the forums great. John's question yes in the front storage area behind the pin box. Yes Jim no iron just alumiumn angle .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I should leave a thank you to john and Jim your both doing a fine job and its comments like yours that make the forums great. John's question yes in the front storage area behind the pin box. Yes Jim no iron just alumiumn angle .
Reminds me of the Naughty Neighbor...

Hi, George, this is Richard, next door. I've got a confession to make. I've been riddled with guilt for a few months & have been trying to get up the courage to tell you face-to-face. At least I'm telling you in this text, & I can't live with myself a minute longer without your knowing about this.

The truth is that, when you're not around, I've been sharing your wife, day & night. In fact, probably much more than you. I haven't been getting it at home recently & I know that's no excuse. The temptation was just too great. I can't live with the guilt & hope you'll accept my sincere apology & forgive me.

Please suggest a fee for usage, & I'll pay you. Regards, Richard

NEIGHBOR'S RESPONSE: George, feeling enraged & betrayed, grabbed his gun, went next door, & shot Richard dead. He returned home, shot his wife, poured himself a stiff drink & sat down on the sofa. George then looked at his phone & discovered a 2nd text message from Richard.

2nd TEXT MESSAGE: Hi, George, Richard here again. Sorry about the typo on my last text. I assume you figured it out & noticed that the darned Spell-Check had changed "wi-fi" to "wife." Technology, huh? It'll be the death of us all.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:35 AM   #8
CedarCreekWoody

Well this thread hit the basement in a hurry!
To the OP I also suggest you seriously consider if moving the batteries is perhaps not a good idea.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:17 AM   #9
AbHDToyHauler

Ok. I should have elaborated a bit more. LOL If i was to do it (IF) , i would use Lithium batteries so venting etc wouldn't be an issue. I had thought to mount them in such a way as to have them slide over to the opening (Like a drawer) for access through the flip up hatch lid. My batteries are in the front compartment but all the power currently runs from there to the Garage where the fuse box and power distribution are located so it would actually be a shorter run. I am installing solar panels so I would run them to whichever makes more sense.
My first worry was whether they are meant to be accessible from outside so power can be removed (unhook battery/pull disconnect) and if that's a code thing? I also thought about creating a new battery storage area under trailer with slide out drawer to hold batteries. Of course I would make it weather tight.
The last two years here, thieves have been hitting the RV storage places and stealing all the batteries out of the RVs. That got me to thinking of a better way. Thanks for feedback. Just kicking ideas around for now.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

See in the part about battery theft I have to mention this. Years ago I was working in a not great neighborhood. The cars in the parking lot were hit by thieves stealing batteries (back when hood releases were on the outside). The police warned everyone that the thieves would most likely return the next night. The reason? The thieves would know the following night they could hit the same cars and get brand new batteries. The cops staked out the place and caught them the following night.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, storage