Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2023, 07:45 AM   #1
ND1C

HAM Operators

How many other Ham operators on here? We are doing a VE test session at the Montana Owners national rally this year and FMCA has a ham chapter.
Let's get more RVers on the air
ND1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 04:03 PM   #2
TXiceman

Ham operator here......de KE5DFR.
We spent 10 years on the road full-time. I had an HF rig in the truck as well as the trailer. While RVing, getting a decent antenna up is the chore. If you have trees nearby, an end fed wire does pretty good. Many campgrounds think you are messing with their trees, or you will cause problems with their crumby WiFi.

My go to antenna was the Alpha HD FMJ vertical on a tripod. It covered 6m to 80m and it is easy up and easy down.

I always watched for ant "strange" antennas in campgrounds and like to visit.

Ken
Old 08-24-2023, 04:10 PM   #3
Rick

I’m one, although I spend my time on local repeaters (2m/70cm). For fun, go to Quartzfest (Quartzfest.org) this coming January in Quartzsite, AZ. It’s the best of both worlds…RV’ing and ham radio. A week full of seminars and presentations. Not all are ham related. I gave a presentation on the Quartzsite Rock Alignment (aka the Lost pilots sign) and tank tracks in the desert nearby (both now available on YouTube by Desert Rick). There’s also the giant RV show and swap meet in town. Lots of people there, but ok if yo go early in the morning. Free camping and a lot o fun.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
Stumpy75

N8WGB here. Mostly on local repeaters, but always have a handheld for severe weather coverage in my trailer, like I'm in in central Michigan right now.

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 05:01 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If you cut pork chops with surgical precision are you a ham “operator”?

Sorry couldn’t resist. I was into CB’s in my younger days.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 05:57 PM   #6
GlasNav

HAM gear

This equipment was left to me by my father-in-law KC5PSF whom passed last year.

As a retired merchant marine officer, and FCC licensed GMDSS operator, I spent way too much time with radios, and satellite equipment to be interested in amateur radio, besides fighting stage 4 cancer.

However, while overseas or in the middle of an ocean and before reasonable satellite equipment, I was glued to AFRTS shortwave retransmissions of the news and sporting events, even the Challenger disaster live, BBC was always too full of themselves, and VOA was all propaganda.

Is there any interest in this equipment? I’m located in Onaga, KS, approx 45 miles NNW of Topeka and 45 miles NE of Manhattan.

TEN-TEC OMNI VII Model 588
TEN-TEC DYNAMIC DESK MIC
TEN-TEC POWER SUPPLY 963
YAESU 2Mt HANDHELD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7653.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	44960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7654.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	44961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7655.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	549.6 KB
ID:	44962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7656.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	44963  

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 02:13 PM   #7
Traveler2017

Hi There Canadian Ham Radio Operator VE7HSQ also have US KN6HSQ. We travel south in the Fall from BC to Imperial Dam Recreation Area (BLM). It is located in Southern California, and is really close to Yuma, Arizona. We use Arizona time there because of its proximity just over the Colorado River.

We have a very large group of Ham Radio Operators there and call ourselves the Desert Ratt Pack. We located on the Mesa on Ratt Pack Row. If your down our way put out a call on 146.520 we monitor it 24/7. We also have a nightly Net that starts at 7:30 pm on .52. Last year we set an all time record of recorded visits to the area with 89 Hams checking in over the course of the Season. The Season runs from Sept. 15th to April 15th.

Cheers everyone and 73
VE7HSQ
Traveler2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 06:25 PM   #8
Kf4mnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
This equipment was left to me by my father-in-law KC5PSF whom passed last year.

As a retired merchant marine officer, and FCC licensed GMDSS operator, I spent way too much time with radios, and satellite equipment to be interested in amateur radio, besides fighting stage 4 cancer.

However, while overseas or in the middle of an ocean and before reasonable satellite equipment, I was glued to AFRTS shortwave retransmissions of the news and sporting events, even the Challenger disaster live, BBC was always too full of themselves, and VOA was all propaganda.

Is there any interest in this equipment? I’m located in Onaga, KS, approx 45 miles NNW of Topeka and 45 miles NE of Manhattan.

TEN-TEC OMNI VII Model 588
TEN-TEC DYNAMIC DESK MIC
TEN-TEC POWER SUPPLY 963
YAESU 2Mt HANDHELD
Hi GlasNav,
I’d be interested in the Yaesu HT if you still have it. I’ve sent you a message.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 08:02 PM   #9
locomech

N9TBG here, I'm not as active as I once was since retiring. I mostly use my dual band HT to monitor weather nets. I got into amateur radio with a group of co-workers as a way of keeping in contact without being monitored by the company. It worked out well for many years as this was before cell phones became the preferred means of communication.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 09:59 PM   #10
Billyk

Km6thy

I have a Kenwood 70. 2 meters 70 Centimeter. In the truck. I got a Ed Fong antenna I throw rope with weight on it up in a tree and pull my antenna and coax up. And run it into Trailer. Not a whole lot of action though.
Billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 04:20 AM   #11
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Breaker breaker 1 7 0...hey good buddies...camping convoy leaving tomorrow @10:35 am sharp...heading to Sandbanks Provincial Park for Thanksgiving long weekend....no turkey this year but lots of ham I'm sure 10 4, copy that good buddies...over and out
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote