Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2023, 12:16 PM   #1
gumbyc

Passport Door Frame Came Apart From Door

I would like to know if any other owners have experienced this problem and have found a solution to it. I have a 2019 model 2210RB. Last year (due to the strong door spring) the metal frame on the hinge side of the door came unglued on that entire side. We took the door off and re-glued that edge, which fixed it temporarily, however it came apart again the first time we used the camper this past weekend.

The strong springs that keeps the door open also puts a lot of force on that side of the door frame which is a small metal strip glued to the edge of the door. The further you open the door the more force you put on that metal strip. The construction adhesive we used stuck to the door but did not stick that well to the thin strip of metal. Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
gumbyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:55 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

It’s a friction hinge door. Thankfully my 2019 Passport didn’t come with one because more people seem to hate them than love them.

Anyway, if you search on friction hinge door there are plenty of folks who have come up with solutions from replacing the hinges with non-friction types, or lubricating the hinges, or drilling out a pin, etc.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:59 PM   #3
LHaven

Strong spring or "stay-open hinge?"
I had to have my whole door replaced.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:31 AM   #4
gumbyc

Thanks for the reply. Was is under warranty at the time? Did you replace the hinges also to prevent it from happening again or have a discussion with the factory on the hinges causing the problem?
gumbyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:26 PM   #5
LHaven

As the thread explains, "The structural warranty as listed in the Owner's Manual does not say that doors are covered and in the "specific exclusions" the list of items NOT covered lists "components not built by Keystone"... The doors are not built by Keystone..."

Lippert cut me a deal where I got the part free and I paid for installation. I didn't modify the hinges afterward since the new hinges were set to a much lower tension. The bedroom door is still set to the original factory tension, but we use it so seldom (maybe 1:40 compared to the rear door) that I haven't bothered with it. If I see space developing between the graphics and the frame, I'm getting my drill out.

Tags
passport