Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2023, 07:48 PM   #1
vampress_me

What happened to Maxxis?

Or, more accurately, why does it not seem like Maxxis tires are being recommended as often as they used to be on here? A curious mind wants to know.

I’m trying to decide if I want to replace tires this summer before our next trip out west, or if I could eke out one more year on them. They do sit all winter in an indoor storage building on concrete, and stay covered whenever the camper is down at our seasonal site. This is the Paradigm’s third summer, tires have a date code of 4520 (so beginning of Nov, 2020). The tires are currently the Westlake ST235/85R16, load range G, that it came with. They have been a good tire, lasting for about 10,000 miles so far, and I have not heard of a blowout from anyone on the Alliance FB pages. But, close to aging out so looking at replacing. I will admit, I would prefer one more year on them, but that’s only because the truck does need new sneakers this fall. And my bum already hurts over that one. LOL

Lately, the most common tire I see recommended on here is mainly Goodyear Endurance. Still some Sailun and maybe Carlisle. What happened to Maxxis? I had them on our Cougar ever since 2015, and they did well over the years/ miles on it. Granted, that was only 2 sets. But, you all are making me question going with them again in case I haven’t kept up enough to have seen problems with them. So, any input to help make a decision? Thank you!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:10 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know if Maxxis makes a load range G in that size. I looked for a while but could not find one. I didn't, and haven't, read of a lot of Maxxis failures but for me they're not in the running because they are special order everywhere around me. I prefer something on hand that is readily available if I should need one.

Goodyear Endurance has a good reputation because they are American made and there haven't been many reports of failures. For double the cost (approx. depending on size) of other tires like the Carlisle, Sailun and even Hercules (I have no personal experience other than what I read) I wouldn't consider them until the other brands run into some sort of quality issues.

As far as your existing tires I'm not a fan of Westlake...BUT, I had a flat in FL and the tire store I went to really sang the praises of the Westlake trailer tires...of course that's what they had. If they are decent tires and have been cared for as you indicate I think I would try to get another year so the hit wouldn't be so hard if you are having to replace the tires on the truck. Just my thoughts..
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:11 PM   #3
bobbecky

Your rig has a GVWR of 16,500 lbs, and the heaviest Maxxis can not make the 7,000 lb axle rating much less the new RVIA requirement of the tires having an extra 10% weight reserve. Your best bet would be to go to maybe the Sailun S637 tires. Our rig weighs almost 1,000 less than yours and we have been running G range tires almost the entire time we have had it. Before Sailuns became widely available we ran the Goodyear G614, but even those don't make the weight capacity anymore because they are not an ST tire.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 07:49 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Lynette,

Maxxis makes two ST tire brands. One is the M8008Plus. That's the one we're most familiar with, and in recent years, it's fallen from the "preferred choice" to a "might consider" tire. The reason is due, IMO, the speed rating. While most ST tires are now rated "above 65MPH" with many being rated at 78 and 85 MPH, Maxxis has left the M8088 max speed rating at 65MPH.

So, many buyers have moved on to "higher speed rated tires". Those that haven't moved on, sort of treat the speed rating like that 45MPH Speed Limit decal found on every UHaul trailer fender well.

Now, the "good news" is that Maxxis does build a "all steel ST tire rated at G loading".... It's the UR-275 ST RADIAL. In ST235/85R16 it's rated 4400 pounds and in ST235/80R16 it's rated 4080 pounds....

So, Maxxis does build G rated tires, but I can't find the speed rating and the prices start above $250 per tire. So, Sailun is still a "better priced tire" and all reports indicate Sailun performs reliably for that cheaper price. Then there's Goodyear, Hercules, Cooper and Carlisle to consider.

But, IMO, to answer your question: What happened to Maxxis?, I think it was the refusal to increase the speed rating to compete with the other ST manufacturers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:38 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Lynette,

Maxxis makes two ST tire brands. One is the M8008Plus. That's the one we're most familiar with, and in recent years, it's fallen from the "preferred choice" to a "might consider" tire. The reason is due, IMO, the speed rating. While most ST tires are now rated "above 65MPH" with many being rated at 78 and 85 MPH, Maxxis has left the M8088 max speed rating at 65MPH.

So, many buyers have moved on to "higher speed rated tires". Those that haven't moved on, sort of treat the speed rating like that 45MPH Speed Limit decal found on every UHaul trailer fender well.

Now, the "good news" is that Maxxis does build a "all steel ST tire rated at G loading".... It's the UR-275 ST RADIAL. In ST235/85R16 it's rated 4400 pounds and in ST235/80R16 it's rated 4080 pounds....

So, Maxxis does build G rated tires, but I can't find the speed rating and the prices start above $250 per tire. So, Sailun is still a "better priced tire" and all reports indicate Sailun performs reliably for that cheaper price. Then there's Goodyear, Hercules, Cooper and Carlisle to consider.

But, IMO, to answer your question: What happened to Maxxis?, I think it was the refusal to increase the speed rating to compete with the other ST manufacturers.
Care to expand on Cooper making ST tires? Have never heard this before. Have Cooper truck tires on my clunker and they seem to be fine....
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:55 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Care to expand on Cooper making ST tires? Have never heard this before. Have Cooper truck tires on my clunker and they seem to be fine....
Looks like Cooper is only marketing to the HD trailer applications now. The smallest I see currently on their website is 17.5" tires. https://coopertrucktires.com/tires/work-series/rht-2

I thought they were still in the "RV tire market" but apparently only in the heaviest applications.... Oh well, "strike Cooper from the list in my previous post.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-28-2023, 09:02 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Looks like Cooper is only marketing to the HD trailer applications now. The smallest I see currently on their website is 17.5" tires. https://coopertrucktires.com/tires/work-series/rht-2

I thought they were still in the "RV tire market" but apparently only in the heaviest applications.... Oh well, "strike Cooper from the list in my previous post.
I would consider Cooper ST tires if made in my diminutive 15" size. My truck tires were manufactured in Arkansas.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:15 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I would consider Cooper ST tires if made in my diminutive 15" size. My truck tires were manufactured in Arkansas.
Cooper was bought by Goodyear in 2021. "They" (whoever that might be) made the statements that Cooper would remain independently managed (whatever that means). One of Cooper's "claims to fame" was that their products were "made in the USA"... I haven't checked recently, so I'm not sure if they can still say that..... Maybe so, maybe not.....

If you look, most Goodyear tire stores now list themselves as "Goodyear/Cooper"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-28-2023, 09:22 AM   #9
bobbecky

And then Cooper and Sailun are also linked together. https://www.tirereview.com/cooper-ti...venture-plant/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:57 AM   #10
vampress_me

Thanks guys. I, obviously, hadn’t been looking real hard yet since I didn’t know about our typical Maxxis tires not being load rated high enough for the Paradigm. It had started as just a general question of why no recommendations of Maxxis anymore, and veered off into the my camper territory. I also appreciate the heads up on speed rating for them compared to other tires. It’s a reminder to check that with whatever brand I end up going with. I have to admit, it was easy just to buy a new set of the same tires ( Maxxis) for the Cougar whenever it needed them, and have one less thing to think about. Oh well, thinking does me good, right?

Unless I chicken out before the middle of June, I still am leaning towards trying to get one more year out of these tires and replace next spring. But, we will see.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:42 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Thanks guys. I, obviously, hadn’t been looking real hard yet since I didn’t know about our typical Maxxis tires not being load rated high enough for the Paradigm. It had started as just a general question of why no recommendations of Maxxis anymore, and veered off into the my camper territory. I also appreciate the heads up on speed rating for them compared to other tires. It’s a reminder to check that with whatever brand I end up going with. I have to admit, it was easy just to buy a new set of the same tires ( Maxxis) for the Cougar whenever it needed them, and have one less thing to think about. Oh well, thinking does me good, right?

Unless I chicken out before the middle of June, I still am leaning towards trying to get one more year out of these tires and replace next spring. But, we will see.
You feel like the current Maxxis tires are aged our or worn out. What is the manufacturing date on the sidewall of the tires? Just curious. Most ST tires are good for at least four years and unless you have a zillion miles, can't imaging worn out unless there was alignment or tires not aired up correctly.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:57 AM   #12
pakuma

I had a set of Maxxis tires on my 5er. Took it in to get a wheel replaced and discovered all 4 had tread separation. I have replaced them with Carlisle,
pakuma is offline   Reply With Quote