Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2023, 11:27 AM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What is the model and brand of your "Verison Internet Gateway" ???

Is it a Verison MIFI or is it some other device, such as their "home internet gateway" or maybe a newer device they are just introducing?????

Lots of Verison customers would be interested to know which device you're using....

Thanks

This may be it. I was unaware of it and looks like it may be 5g only. HDRoadglide is this it and is it limited to 5G only?

sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:37 AM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Here's a link to the Verizon Internet Gateway documentation. It may be $25mo. for the box (gateway) but it says you also have to have their 5G only plan and for streaming that would have to be some sort of unlimited plan....and they get expensive.

https://scache.vzw.com/dam/support/p...guide-6-22.pdf
Old 02-12-2023, 12:10 PM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Danny,

That's why I asked what device he has by model number....

We have a Verizon MIFI, it cost, if I remember correctly, close to $300 for the device, then it's $30 monthly for 15 gigs of data. They do have a "household system" that is 5G, but since there's no 5G in our area, the system won't work. Best they have is a $500 "whole house internet" system that mounts in the attic and has 30 gigs of data for a monthly rate of $79, but that is the data plus the device payments.

What was posted, if available, would be a substantial improvement over what we have available locally. Might be worth the trip, if we could buy it somewhere else and use it nationwide, for $25 monthly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 12:21 PM   #44
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, I was very interested as well. All of our stuff runs on Verizon and I've spent a lot of time visiting with them but this option never came up. 5G only would limit it right now too.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:09 PM   #45
Folkie

I have a Netgear Orbi LTE Router LBR20 that I use at our vacation house where we don't have internet. I added a Verizon Sim card to my cell plan which gives me 50 GB of high speed data in addition to the 15 GB hotspot data on my phone. The unit is portable so I take it with me camping. I bought a small external antenna for it which helps improve reception but it will not work where there is no cell network signal. Fortunately that only happened to us once last year.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:10 PM   #46
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, 5G would limit use at home, but would work when we're in North Carolina and if it's "backward compatible" with 4G, then we could also use it at home on a slower connection.... Actually, it wouldn't really be a slower connection since our current MIFI is a 4G device, so it would be the "same at home and faster in NC" kind of thing (I think)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-12-2023, 01:16 PM   #47
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yes, 5G would limit use at home, but would work when we're in North Carolina and if it's "backward compatible" with 4G, then we could also use it at home on a slower connection.... Actually, it wouldn't really be a slower connection since our current MIFI is a 4G device, so it would be the "same at home and faster in NC" kind of thing (I think)
Looking at the info again I believe it is going to be capable of 4G or 5G. Looks to me like its a hotspot/router in one. Same thing I do on Visible with a dedicated hotspot phone and wireless router - maybe...?
Old 02-12-2023, 01:37 PM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

we're in Mt Airy, so I just called the local Verizon store. They'd be happy to sell me the gateway, but since our "account is in Michigan" billing would be based on the "account location"... Catch-22, the gateway is not available in our area, so the only way they'll sell it to me is if we move our entire account to this location. That would mean giving up our 'grandfathered MIFI billing" and the "old monthly charges for DW's phone" which are about half the current monthly charges.

So, we can get it, but it means almost 40% more for what we already have PLUS the purchase price of the gateway and the monthly charges for data....

So, back to the drawing board <sigh> ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-13-2023, 12:55 PM   #49
jxnbbl

+1 on the above information... I use to have Verizon with an older grandfathered "unlimited data plan". But that means phone data and not hotspotting. When I looked at adding that, it got quite expensive quickly....hence the change to Visible for unlimited hotspotting. So far this works when I'm in the Verizon network as that is the underlying service.

For my internal trailer network, I'm probably going to get the Winegard Osprey to replace the current gateway, tether my Visible "travel phone" to the device and either use the wifi or cellular.

If the cell service is not sufficient, the other project that I'm following threads is a cellular booster. I use this for work when on the road as well as streaming content to the TV.

Akin to that I'm finishing up a trial of Directv Stream with one refurbished streaming box/remote ($49.00). It looks like I will be changing cancelling current cable service except for internet, getting 3 of these boxes for "in home" televisions one box, one box for a family cottage that I own with family (that has internet) and either install one in the trailer or just stream from my phone.

I'm just trying to get the option of the standard "clicker/cable box/guide" paradigm as the primary streaming option at these places for those that don't really understand all of this.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 12:37 PM   #50
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Visible wireless with a ZTE phone used for ONLY data, not for phone, pictures, or texting, with a Gl-iNet (GL-SFT1200) Gigabit Wireless Router that multiple devices can connect to and WeBoost - Drive Reach RV Cell Phone booster.

In addition, we also have our AT&T Samsung Galaxy Hot Spots.

Since we added the WeBoost, we've not had any problems anywhere. We stream videos and my wife connects her company laptop for work, (computer Information Technology software development) which includes "Teams" meetings. Not a problem connecting any more. Of course, there has to be at least 1 bar for either an AT&T or a Verison signal. None of this works in "dead zones."

Let me ask a few dumb questions so I'm sure I understand;

1. The "visible wireless" plan is just another cell phone carrier, but at fairly low cost and with unlimited data. Right?

2. The ZTE phone is just one method of using your visible account and could be done with any cell phone. Right?

3. The Gi-Inet router is there to put out a wi-fi signal so all the wi-fi users in the coach can use the visible connection. Right?

4. And all of this works so long as you have cell phone service. The we-boost device is there only to "boost" weak connections to the cell phone tower(s). Right?

If I'm close to understanding what you've done, it seems like a fairly low cost solution to more reliable internet connections.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 02:41 PM   #51
wiredgeorge

Visible is a subset of Verizon. Cost for unlimited data is low. If you have good Verizon reception, I suspect since Visible uses the same towers/signals, you will have good signal. I use a HiBoost system which is very similar to Weboost. We have an outside antenna which feeds the inside booster and connects to the inside antenna. Hence a marginal 4G signal becomes a strong signal inside the camper. We use Consumer Cellular because it uses AT&T towers and has similar very low unlimited data charges. Consumer Cellular can also use T-Mobile towers but these are not as common as AT&T towers in our area. The Bell family of companies preceded Verizon in our area so AT&T tower coverage is better but I wouldn't hesitate using Visible if Verizon were king in an area you lived.

You can check campgroundreviews.com for data speeds where you usually camp. They now offer WiFi speeds and we often camp where the WiFi speeds allow streaming. We have a set up (outside antenna) for WiFi and the signal goes into our own router where we can stream using our own SSID for 2 or 5 gHz bands. Works great. WiFi is NOT great at every campground but again, campgroundreviews.com can give you an idea. Probably need to set up an account to see the values.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 03:25 PM   #52
Maineiacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You can check campgroundreviews.com for data speeds where you usually camp. They now offer WiFi speeds and we often camp where the WiFi speeds allow streaming.

I have a very active account there and I have not seen any reference to wi-fi speeds in any review, ever. Tried to post a screen shot but it's too big.
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 04:03 PM   #53
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
I have a very active account there and I have not seen any reference to wi-fi speeds in any review, ever. Tried to post a screen shot but it's too big.
Nearly all the campgroundreviews.com reviews that I could check have a "connectivity box" just under the address and map box and to the right of the Features & Amenities box. If you hover your mouse over the listed "speedometer" icons, it will give you the average speed, upload/download information of all the reviewers for that service provider at that campground. If there is a listed provider with only a check under that provider's name, then the reviews for that campground indicate the service is available but no reviewers have provided a speed test. Essentially, having a "speedometer icon" indicates that reviewers of that campground have done "internet speed tests" for their review. Under each reviewer's comments, if they provided a internet speed test, the service provider (ATT, Verizon, etc) and the speeds they achieved will be in a green box at the bottom of their review.

Here are a few sample campground listings, one near you, all of which have "internet review data" available:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIFI.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	42990   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIFI1.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	42991   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIFI2.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	42992   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIFI3.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	42993  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-20-2023, 04:47 AM   #54
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiacs View Post
When campgroundreviews.com started having folks clock speeds it was only for 4G/5G speeds. I whined to the admins to get the WiFi speeds with the other data speeds and they finally have done so although since it is a newer feature, perhaps not all campground WiFi speeds have been clocked. If you are logged in and hover over WiFI on a certain park it will either give you clocked speeds or will say "WiFi Available" if no camper has yet done a speed test on the WiFi.

As an example, we stayed at the Castroville Regional Park in November 2021 and I rated the park. Note in my review (under wiredgeorge) that I mentioned WiFi speeds but they didn't allow WiFi ratings at that time.

https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regio...onal-park-2739

Another park I reviewed some time ago has a WiFi rating if you hover over the WiFi icon:
https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regio...e-rv-park-3583

If more campers contributed to campgroundreviews.com with park reviews and speed tests it would be of even greater benefit to all campers.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:50 AM   #55
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDroadglide View Post
I have switched to a mobile Verizon Internet Gateway. This is a small box that I use at home for my internet, but as the Verizon dealer told me I unplug it take it in my camper and where i get a signal for my phone I will get Internet and I can stream Netflix, it has work great, and is only $25.00 a month added to my cell phone bill.
Are you talking about one of these? I wondered if it had a location chip in it. When we were staying in Western NC in October one of the full timers that had one said that hers was from someplace in South Carolina and iwas wondering if I could take ours on the road with us too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230220_164305494.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	43005  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 04:08 PM   #56
jconforti

I use this HOTSPOT and this ROUTER

Ethernet backhaul from the hotspot to the router. This is a bit more advanced than most may need, but I enjoy quality internet and security.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:01 PM   #57
HDroadglide

It comes in a gray box and on the out side of it says Verizon Internet Gateway with a red Check mark in the right hand corner. But the unit is white and is 5 inches square and 5 inches tall.
HDroadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:39 AM   #58
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Are you talking about one of these? I wondered if it had a location chip in it. When we were staying in Western NC in October one of the full timers that had one said that hers was from someplace in South Carolina and iwas wondering if I could take ours on the road with us too.
i’ve seen some youtube videos where people have taken them on the road but the user agreement/ contract clearly says it’s for your fixed residence only
i’d hate to get a bill a year later with location cell tower pings from all over the country and a bill to go along with it….probably not likely but you never know
Old 02-22-2023, 05:05 AM   #59
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i’ve seen some youtube videos where people have taken them on the road but the user agreement/ contract clearly says it’s for your fixed residence only
i’d hate to get a bill a year later with location cell tower pings from all over the country and a bill to go along with it….probably not likely but you never know
Yep....this discussion came up on another forum with regard to T-Mobile's 5G capable home internet. For now they (T-Mobile) are not enforcing this restriction but the consensus is that its only a matter of time before they do.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 05:34 AM   #60
jconforti

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Yep....this discussion came up on another forum with regard to T-Mobile's 5G capable home internet. For now they (T-Mobile) are not enforcing this restriction but the consensus is that its only a matter of time before they do.
T-Mobile just recently announced that they've abandoned that policy making it a good RV option. The only reason I don't have one is the fact that you cannot use a 3rd party router with their device (so I've read).