Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2023, 01:40 PM   #1
Maineiacs

Let's talk about the internet!

Been on the road since 1/1. 90% of the CG's have weak or non-existant wi-fi connections. When we are able to pick up a wi-fi connection, the bandwidth is usually so small that keeping up with the world is difficult if not impossible. CG owners seem completely unwilling to upgrade their systems to match todays demands.

So as I understand it, a wi-fi booster is pointless because we would still be chasing a poor internet connection.

So as I understand it, the only way to connect with the internet is through a cell phone hot spot or by purchasing one of the Star-Link systems.

What other options might there be that I'm unaware of? What works for you?
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:19 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

You have listed the two main options for high speed internet if the campground wifi is inadequate. I have asked campgroundreviews.com to add wifi tests to the 4G data tests as this would be extremely helpful in selecting a campground and might pushed campground owners towards upgrading and updating their service. One of my favorite campgrounds locally is owned by an older gal who used BEC fibre internet and had BEC come to the campground and set this up (2G & 5G) for campers and when last I camped there, she was dumbfounded by the fact that 5G was almost non-existent 50' from their antenna. BEC techs had obviously not done much, if any testing to see if the signal was adequate around the campground. I do use a WiFi signal booster with an antenna on the roof as well as the same for 4G AT&T tower booster/router. I use Consumer Cellular and the base data plan and when we exceed whatever the base data is the dynamically just add bandwidth (at additional cost but not expensive) and we go back to the basic plan at the next billing cycle. I could have purchased unlimited data for about $20 more a month but the way we do it has proved cheaper.

Since we camp mostly at fairly local campgrounds (less than a day's drive) as we have a bunch of dogs at home my sister takes care of I know ALL the local campgrounds that have wifi adequate for streaming 1080P television.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:24 PM   #3
jxnbbl

I use a wifi signal booster just to pick up a wifi signal at a campground (winguard) with I think works fine, but does not increase the bandwidth. A good percentage of the time it works fine, but then is not great when people start waking up or trying to stream things, etc. I've used cellular in those situations and it has worked great. It is fairly rare now that I dont have access enough to work with those two options.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 03:52 PM   #4
dutchmensport

Visible wireless with a ZTE phone used for ONLY data, not for phone, pictures, or texting, with a Gl-iNet (GL-SFT1200) Gigabit Wireless Router that multiple devices can connect to and WeBoost - Drive Reach RV Cell Phone booster.

In addition, we also have our AT&T Samsung Galaxy Hot Spots.

Since we added the WeBoost, we've not had any problems anywhere. We stream videos and my wife connects her company laptop for work, (computer Information Technology software development) which includes "Teams" meetings. Not a problem connecting any more. Of course, there has to be at least 1 bar for either an AT&T or a Verison signal. None of this works in "dead zones."

That's where "satellite" internet works so well. But then with satellite, you've got the problem of setting up and changing locations with your provider.

Each has their good points, each has their weakness. None are 100% perfect all the time.

If "camping" you just have to expect complete "dead zones". After all, the pioneers in the 1800's didn't have any of this fancy technology and they still traveled clear across the USA.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:54 PM   #5
jasin1

i wonder if life would be better if we went back to flip phones and checking the mailbox for letters from friends and family…get a good book to read or even further back in time …go to the local video rental and peruse thru the vhs videos looking for a good movie….check your answering machine when you get home and actually go to someone’s house and knock to see if they were home…feels like we opened a door that can never be closed with wifi and social media and smart phones at our side night and day

i do like my youtube videos but the world is much more complicated now
Old 02-06-2023, 04:07 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Before smart phones or even flip phones we had one of those black handsets on a table with no answering machine. If it rang we either picked it up or ignored it as we felt like. If not home, if it rang and no one answered eventually the caller figured out no one was home or we didn't want to pick up. If someone called and they got a busy signal, they could figure out we were talking to someone else and they could call again later if there was need. You could say crazy and pre arranged things on the phone if you knew that old lady on your party line was listening in and BEST there was hardly ever someone trying to sell you a car warranty or help you get out of debt with a student load or much phone spam at all. When you called, the person answering generally said hello and their name. Today folks don't like to identify themselves; not sure why. Well anyway, we have progress with the smart phone as it gives me something to look at when we go out to eat with my in-laws or the pastor gets really longwinded/boring...
Old 02-06-2023, 04:13 PM   #7
jxnbbl

We still have a red dial wall phone with a 4-5 ft cord that works. Keep it active for the entertainment of when "new" younger people come over.

On another note... is there a non-contract, unlimited wireless provider to use with (for instance) the wifiranger product that is integrated with the winegard 360+? Think it is called osprey.

Also looking at boosting the signal with a iphone.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:15 PM   #8
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Since we added the WeBoost, we've not had any problems anywhere. We stream videos and my wife connects her company laptop for work,...

So this works well. What product do you use and can this be mounted "neatly" in a trailer?

We use Visible now, but like the internal routing that we have with the winegard gateway. The osprey (think that's what it calls) allows tethering but that will not help the signal.

thanks
Old 02-06-2023, 06:37 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
So this works well. What product do you use and can this be mounted "neatly" in a trailer?

We use Visible now, but like the internal routing that we have with the winegard gateway. The osprey (think that's what it calls) allows tethering but that will not help the signal.

thanks
I use HiBoost which is similar to WeBoost. Suggest you search the tech section and see the install with an external antenna. Here is the one I use. When the HiBoost product is on sale it is priced better than the similar WeBoost product:

https://www.hiboost.com/vehicle-signal-booster/
Old 02-07-2023, 07:49 AM   #10
dutchmensport

jxnbbl, "So this works well. What product do you use and can this be mounted "neatly" in a trailer?"

See the post above with the links to each product in my daisy chain of "stuff".

WeBoost consists of an antenna (outside), and wire (outside from antenna to power device). Another wire from the power device to an inside antenna. And the inside antenna that send the signal (wirelessly to your phone). Everything (can) be portable. Ours is.

I made a stand and used PVC pipe as an antenna mast. I use the stand (or block of wood) on the top of the trailer and it actually catches under my air conditioner shroud and keep it from moving or falling over. But it is pretty heavy on its own.

I then stick the antenna shaft with at (outside) antenna attached in the slot for the stand. The antenna wire is fed through a window and the other end is connected to the power supply. I have not found a permanent way to bring the wire in the camper. On a different forum I asked how to do this, and the consensus of the audience said, push the wire through one of the slide seals. I didn't like that idea too well. So, I'm still using it through a window.

Once inside the trailer, the wire is long enough (both outside wire and inside wire to the inside antenna), the inside antenna can be placed anywhere. We just leave the inside antenna and the cell phone on a ledge right at that window.

Now, attached to the phone is a wireless router. It's only about 3.5 inches square and about 1 inch high. It sends out a wi-fi signal that the computers and the smart televisions pick up, enabling everything to access the internet.

It sounds like a lot, but really is not. The whole thing is so portable, when we first got the WeBoost, we took it (without the trailer) to some of our favorite Indiana State Parks where we absolutely knew there was absolutely NO phone service for either Verison or AT&T and set up on a picnic table as close to the camp host site as possible. Everywhere we went (and we tested at several state parks) we were able to connect one of our small Roku televisions and stream a movie at the same time my wife could connect to her work via her company laptop and at the same time I could connect my personal laptop and everything worked great! No buffering on the streaming videos, no pauses or breaks or disruptions with the wife's connection to her company, and I watched YouTube videos on my laptop ... all at the same time.

So now, we have scheduled more trips to some of these parks we haven't been to in a quite a while so the wife and "work from camper" and I can walk the dogs on trails and enjoy retirement at places we've not been in quite a while!

The antenna and my antenna stand. Since this photo, I painted that block of wood black black and sprayed the bottom with a rubber spray on so it will grip the roof of the trailer better and that removed any risk of sharp edges or rubbing.

Here's the whole set up on a picnic table (This photo was Oubache State park in North Eastern Indiana), 2 campsites from the camp host site.

In the photo you can see the Roku Television, my wife's company laptop connected, the red power device for the WeBoost, and the ZTE phone. Behind that yellow extension cord reel is the wireless router hard wired connected to the phone.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:29 AM   #11
vorkszoo

We have Starlink. Been on the road since 11/1. Hubby works remotely 5 days a week from wherever we are with little to no problem. We have a huge computer setup for him to work plus I am on my laptop all day doing stuff and we still rarely have problems. We never even use the CG wifi.
Starlink has even worked well though a big windstorm ( that made it so we couldn't travel) and 28 degree temperatures (and TONS of rain!) in many of the locations we've been at
Hubby runs a HUGE setup for work with a laptop, a server, 2 monitors, plus I have a laptop going all day as well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	boss desk.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	42872
vorkszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:42 AM   #12
jxnbbl

Quote:
jxnbbl, "So this works well. What product do you use and can this be mounted "neatly" in a trailer?"

See the post above with the links to each product in my daisy chain of "stuff".

WeBoost consists of an antenna (outside), and wire (outside from antenna to power device). Another wire from the power device to an inside antenna. And the inside antenna that send the signal (wirelessly to your phone). Everything (can) be portable. Ours is. ....
Thanks for the post. The pictures are a thousand words, since reading this post yesterday I've done some research and it might be my first project before out spring trip this year (well our second as I have an inverter thing to take care of) and will preempt my 2nd AC project.

I'm kind of the person that doesn't like any extra setup other than flipping a switch....so I'm thinking about mounting the external antenna to an extendable pole attached to the ladder with excess cable zip-tied/velcro to the ladder all the way to the bumper. On a quick stop it is usable and when necessary/stopped can be extended and rotated to the best position.

Inside I have a closet in the back corner that I can run the cable to with a TV outlet nearby to power. I have a way to run the internal antenna to a central location already due to the arched roof space and the access via ducts/speakers/etc.

For cell service I will probably do something with Winegard again, maybe the osprey with a tethered phone. Although initially I would use my standalone phone. I've used a small router with the phone that works but I found the current winegard gateway router when it is both wifi and cellular to be very convenient. I figure the osprey/tethered cellphone can take its place but give me the $25/month unlimited data instead of the more costly options that exist for them today.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:47 AM   #13
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorkszoo View Post
We have Starlink....[/ATTACH]

For me, it is about 'just enough' connectivity to stream an occasional TV show and do some work. But only pay for the service when I'm traveling. If I was a full timer this is probably the way to go.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:49 AM   #14
wiredgeorge

Here is a pic of my installed outside antennas; both WiFi & 4G LTE... both on the same mast and both antenna leads go through same penetration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anatenna.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	42873  
Old 02-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #15
dutchmensport

jxnbbl,

When I asked what does every one else do to get the wire inside the camper, I had multiple suggestions to mount the antenna on the outside ladder and drill a hole from the outside to the inside of a cabinet and then lead the wire where ever it needs to go. That is a good way to do it.

My problem is, I have a front living room and my ladder is 41 feet to the rear. That was too much length for my wire (or my whit's). I needed the antenna closer to the front.

I considered a permanent mount on the side of the trailer like wiredgeorge posted in his photo above, but ruled that out too. I "still" did not want to drill a hole and "really wanted to keep my entire system completely portable. We travel so much, and often head out without the trailer. Having a system that is completely portable allows me to just unhook, toss in a box, head out, reach our spot, set up on the tail gate of the truck and we've got full internet anywhere. (This works exceptionally well when visiting relatives... especially then!) (My wife has close relatives that are of a much more ultra conservative religious background that are not very accepting of modern technology very much. It's those times our set-up is beyond every penny spent on hardware.)
Old 02-07-2023, 12:38 PM   #16
vorkszoo

We run the wire from the dish to the router (? sorry hubby is the tech guy and does set up lol) though the rubber around our slideout that the desk sits in. No need to drill holes or run wires across the entire camper. No need to "find" the best signal either. All hubs has to do is go in the app and turn it on and the dish finds the best signal automatically. (we don't have a ladder and couldn't get the antennas to work anyhow)
vorkszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:31 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
jxnbbl,

When I asked what does every one else do to get the wire inside the camper, I had multiple suggestions to mount the antenna on the outside ladder and drill a hole from the outside to the inside of a cabinet and then lead the wire where ever it needs to go. That is a good way to do it.

My problem is, I have a front living room and my ladder is 41 feet to the rear. That was too much length for my wire (or my whit's). I needed the antenna closer to the front.

I considered a permanent mount on the side of the trailer like wiredgeorge posted in his photo above, but ruled that out too. I "still" did not want to drill a hole and "really wanted to keep my entire system completely portable. We travel so much, and often head out without the trailer. Having a system that is completely portable allows me to just unhook, toss in a box, head out, reach our spot, set up on the tail gate of the truck and we've got full internet anywhere. (This works exceptionally well when visiting relatives... especially then!) (My wife has close relatives that are of a much more ultra conservative religious background that are not very accepting of modern technology very much. It's those times our set-up is beyond every penny spent on hardware.)
Winegard makes a penetration cover and since I own an old 2002 Cougar don't have a problem with a hole in the side. The mast extends another few feet and the picture shows it in its "down" position. I had a hole in the same place for the Dish antenna as my camper only had a spigot for "cable" located at the very rear and the feed wires from the antennas were too short. The 4G system has the outside antenna and an inside antenna and in our system they must be physically separated as far as possible and on on horizontal planes for best performance.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:09 AM   #18
jxnbbl

Thanks for all the ideas. With them I will probably do a "soft install" at first and figure out the permanent install. The way my trailer is with slide outs on both sides I can run cable to the exterior via the slides temporarily and snake it in/out of a cabinet on either side to keep it out of the way. I will be time pressed on our first trip this year to get the projects I want done + taking out of storage + packing.

Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:12 AM   #19
Maineiacs

Some really excellent thoughtful ideas. Thanks everyone!
CRE3000 w/wet bolts

2021 F-350 4x4 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab
Maineiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:48 AM   #20
wegone

WOW.....

I am such a dinosaur, are you guys speaking english?

I can't even find the knobs on my smart TV.

When I try and ask Alexa a question after I ask my wife and she tells me to just ask Alexa, she says to me: "This is what I found, I will talk real slow and loud to you.......

I think I am going to go back to my "bridge post"
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote