Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2022, 03:53 AM   #1
lindy46

Towing with my Mercury Mountaineer

I have a 2009 Mountaineer with V6 engine. It has the 5000 pound tow package. The vehicle weighs about 4600 pounds. It has a GCWR of 10,000 pounds. I'm looking at a 2016 Venture Sonic 190VRB which is 22' and has a dry weight of 3590 pounds and a max weight loaded of 4400 pounds. Will my Mountaineer handle it?
lindy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:05 AM   #2
Texas Steve

Welcome to the forum! Look in the drivers door of your vehicle for a yellow and white sticker that has payload and tire information. It will say "payload not to exceed XXXX pounds". That is the payload for everything on or in that vehicle that did not come from the factory. So if you have tools, cooler, puppy, anything else the weight of those items comes off that payload number. The TT you a looking at likely has a tongue weight around 700 pounds with battery, propane installed on the trailer. Post a picture of your payload sticker and we can help look at your numbers.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:08 AM   #3
markcee

See below to ensure your vehicle does in fact have those ratings. For instance, you would need the 3.73 gearing to achieve the 10K GCVWR. These are from the 2010 Ford RV Trailer & Towing Guide (didn't see Merc listed in the '09).

I would also check the label on the underside of the hitch to see what the max tongue weight is. A trailer loaded to 4K will likely be over 500 lbs of TW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mountaineer.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	40854  
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:11 AM   #4
lindy46

Dry hitch weight of camper is 330 pounds. Payload of truck is 1288 pounds.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:16 AM   #5
lindy46

Here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220727_090534~2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	40855  
Old 07-27-2022, 05:17 AM   #6
lindy46

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
See below to ensure your vehicle does in fact have those ratings. For instance, you would need the 3.73 gearing to achieve the 10K GCVWR. These are from the 2010 Ford RV Trailer & Towing Guide (didn't see Merc listed in the '09).

I would also check the label on the underside of the hitch to see what the max tongue weight is. A trailer loaded to 4K will likely be over 500 lbs of TW.
Yes mine is 3.73 gear ratio. Tongue 700 pounds with WD hitch.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:18 AM   #7
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy46 View Post
Dry hitch weight of camper is 330 pounds. Payload of truck is 1288 pounds.
Dry hitch weight is worthless. Figure 13% of the trailer GVWR will be tongue weight.

Add that 13%, the weight of all occupants, the weight of any other gear that will be in the vehicle, plus 100 lbs for a good weight distribution hitch (if you are even able to use one on a Mountaineer) together. If you exceed 1288 pounds you are overloaded.

I don't think you are going to receive many positive comments on towing anything but the smallest of pop-ups with that vehicle.
Old 07-27-2022, 05:27 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I wouldn't recommend it. SUVs made the last 20 yrs or so make great people hualers but lousy tow vehichles. I'm guessing you have an SUV to hual children? They come with lots of extra support equipment (cloths, toys, food, etc). SUVs tend to become large closets in that extra space means take more stuff.

So figure you're going to be close to that 4,400 lb trailer weight. At 13% of trailer weight the tongue will be 570 lbs. Add a good weight distributing hitch at 100 lbs and your adding nearly 700 lbs to the tow vehichles load. While the tow number may be under that's not the number that typically limits a TV (tow vehichle) from towing a camper, it's running out of payload. So what is the gvw of just the TV?

My recommendation? Load up the TV and EVERYTHING you would take with you on a trip, i.e. kids, pets, food, drinks, toys, cloths, etc. Go to a scale an weight the TV. Add 700 lbs (the est tongue weight) and then subtract that number from the TV's gvw. Whatever number is remaining will be the estimated remaining gvw. Now with that said, that's based on when that TV was new 13 years and however many miles ago. After 13 yrs springs weaken, body mounts deteriorate, frames rust, things that move wear.

So CAN you tow it if the numbers work? Of course, you can do what you wish. SHOULD you tow it is the question and my opinion is no. That V6 will struggle pulling not only the weight but the wind resistance of a box behind you. SUVs come with P rated passenger tires and shocks designed for ride comfort and not for towing which translates to reduced control vs a truck with LT tires and shocks designed for load control.

Good luck with your ventures.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:35 AM   #9
lindy46

4200# x 13%=546#. Me, my wife, dog, tools, etc. about 500#. WDHitch 100#. That's 1146# total.
Old 07-27-2022, 06:18 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
4200# x 13%=546#. Me, my wife, dog, tools, etc. about 500#. WDHitch 100#. That's 1146# total.
You figured the correct way. I do think you should put some LT tires on your SUV as it likely came with passenger car tires which are a poor choice for towing an RV. Make sure you watch some youtube videos for setting up your WDH. Good luck!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:38 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Your first post listed trailer gvw @4,400 lbs. 4,400X .13 =572 Add a 100 for the hitch and 672 is darn close to 700. I made an assumption on the trailer because it sounds like you may not have it yet therefore I used the max number. You will end up closer to that and if your under well all the better. You are making a an opposite assumption that your TV has all the capacity it had when it left the factory. That means there is NOTHING added to or in your truck since new. Not a map, not a flashlight, not even chang in the cup holder.

Weight your TV so you KNOW where you're at. So far, I can only read this as you are "making the numbers" work because you WANT them to work. If you are looking for a rubber stamp " your good to go" sorry to dissapoint.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:41 AM   #12
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post

I don't think you are going to receive many positive comments on towing anything but the smallest of pop-ups with that vehicle.
Agree....

We had a 1500 Chevy Suburban that we used to tow our first travel trailer, which was a Dutchmen Sport. It was 18 feet long and called "light weight". It weighed in under 6000 pounds.

After 3 months of towing, we had to replace the transmission. The vehicle never operated right again. It was horrible. It was a great people mover, but a lousy tow vehicle.

We traded it for a 1 ton dually and never regretted it. The trailers only got bigger as years went by.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:23 AM   #13
lindy46

No, we haven't bought anything yet. I'm just trying to get an idea of what our Mountaineer will tow. Sounds like we may have to find a lighter camper or go to a bigger truck. I was told by the company that installed the hitch that 3500# would be no problem.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:30 AM   #14
travelin texans

Have you confirmed the max weight rating of the hitch on the Merc? Typically a 5000lb tow rating = 500lb hitch rating, so at even the dry without the WDH you're at the max hitch rating.
Then there's the V6, that poor little thing is gonna be a screaming at every little incline saying "I think I can, I think I can!".
IMHO you're looking at too much rv with not enough tow vehicle.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 08:41 AM   #15
dutchmensport

Quote:
No, we haven't bought anything yet. I'm just trying to get an idea of what our Mountaineer will tow. Sounds like we may have to find a lighter camper or go to a bigger truck. I was told by the company that installed the hitch that 3500# would be no problem.
Your vehicle may be able to tow 3500 pounds, but it also depends on some other factors too.

A low profile utility trailer, loaded with riding lawn mowers may weigh a total of 3500 pounds and you may not have any issues at all towing.

If you attach an 11 foot tall travel trailer, your vehicle may struggle enormously. Why?

It's because of that front "sail" that is hitting head on in the wind as you drive. The utility trailer does not have any front. It's low to the ground. Air moves right over it. With a boxed trailer, the faster you drive, the harder the wind hits all that space which extend beyond the dimensions of your tow vehicle. This "sail" and the weight of the trailer itself will cause your gas mileage to drop from 22 mpg to 10 mpg, and the engine will be reving rpm's off the charts. Add to that hill inclines and now you have an overheated engine or transmission.

For what it's worth, if you ask anyone what kind of fuel mileage they get with their tow vehicles, towing any size of box trailer with any size, type, make, model, or year of tow vehicle, and the consensus will be 10 miles per gallon ... gas or diesel. The difference is, how hard does the engine work. The larger the engine, the less stress on the engine, the cooler it runs. But because of that high profile "sale" we all end up with about the same mileage.

Anyway, it's something else to think about. Good luck!

Edit:

And since I just touched on the subject of the transmission? Does your vehicle have adequate cooling for the transmission? Just because it has a receiver hitch, does not mean the transmission is equipped for towing. Every vehicle that tows a trailer needs an extra cooling radiator for the transmission, or at least, an extra beefed-up one. This is one item, often overlooked, when towing. Automobile "towing packages" will include, ..... not just the 7 pin plug for plugging in the light for the trailer and the receiver hitch. It also comes with the larger capacity, or the second radiator for the transmission. Also, with towing packages, the transmission ratio is also geared different.

All these things are items you need to consider. It about more than just the trailer weight, .... "can I tow it?" It IS about the total vehicle!
Old 07-27-2022, 09:14 AM   #16
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Your first post listed trailer gvw @4,400 lbs. 4,400X .13 =572 Add a 100 for the hitch and 672 is darn close to 700. I made an assumption on the trailer because it sounds like you may not have it yet therefore I used the max number. You will end up closer to that and if your under well all the better. You are making a an opposite assumption that your TV has all the capacity it had when it left the factory. That means there is NOTHING added to or in your truck since new. Not a map, not a flashlight, not even chang in the cup holder.

Weight your TV so you KNOW where you're at. So far, I can only read this as you are "making the numbers" work because you WANT them to work. If you are looking for a rubber stamp " your good to go" sorry to dissapoint.
Marshall, he said the spec for gross weight on the Venture trailer is 4400 lbs. 13 percent of that is 572 lbs. He added up other weights and is under his stated 12xx lb payload. Explain where he went wrong in his thinking. He also accounted for tools in his SUV... I am sure his SUV suspension isn't as perky as the day it rolled off the assembly line but it sure sounds to me that he will be OK.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Some points to consider;

In 2009 the Mountaineer was considered "weak" powerwise, particularly with the V6. It had a hard time getting out of its own way unloaded. The ride was considered "mushy" meaning it rolled and swayed even when nothing was attached to it - great for a soft ride and getting groceries, bad for towing.

At 4400lbs. gvw and 13% tongue weight (572lbs.) plus 100 for hitch = 672lbs. on the receiver. You said it was rated for 700lbs., where did that come from? I've not seen that number that I recall and it would typically mean the hitch would handle up to a 7k trailer. You mentioned someone "installed" the hitch and it would handle 3500lbs. OK; lots of numbers that conflict as best I can tell. From the looks the receiver will either be overloaded or right at it.

On a 13 year old, lightly sprung SUV, suddenly strapped with a 4400lb. tall, slab sided RV some things need to be understood; the OE tires (p rated) are not up to the chore of towing - the soft OE springs and shocks aren't either. Those would all need to be upgraded/replaced. The RV can and will exert a lot of force on the SUV. The shorter wheelbase and relative instability of the SUV will make towing the RV a handful at the least in any condition other than perfect. In a nutshell, I wouldn't tow with the Mountaineer = bigger truck then size the trailer to the truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:17 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Lindy, your Venture camper will NEVER be 3500 lbs. Once it hit the dealer and they added battery, propane tanks and whatever else, it weight MORE. Once you take it camping and put camping junk, food, linens, etc., it will be closer to the gross weight of the camper at 4400 lbs. If you don't need an SUV to haul a family (just a couple), a truck is a better alternative and make sure the payload is north of 1500 lbs for the little camper so you will have some edge otherwise, you can go ahead and use the SUV but as I said, put on some LT tires.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:15 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Marshall, he said the spec for gross weight on the Venture trailer is 4400 lbs. 13 percent of that is 572 lbs. He added up other weights and is under his stated 12xx lb payload. Explain where he went wrong in his thinking. He also accounted for tools in his SUV... I am sure his SUV suspension isn't as perky as the day it rolled off the assembly line but it sure sounds to me that he will be OK.
George,

I thought I explained it clearly. He assumes he has that 1,200 payload available. I'm not a betting man but I'm betting he doesn't and there's only one way to know, that's at the scales.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:25 AM   #20
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Have you confirmed the max weight rating of the hitch on the Merc? Typically a 5000lb tow rating = 500lb hitch rating, so at even the dry without the WDH you're at the max hitch rating.
Then there's the V6, that poor little thing is gonna be a screaming at every little incline saying "I think I can, I think I can!".
IMHO you're looking at too much rv with not enough tow vehicle.
Other potential deficiencies notwithstanding, it looks like this vehicle can accept a WDH and a 740 lb TW...provided it is equipped with a Class III/IV hitch. From the owner's manual:

Do not use hitches that clamp onto the vehicle bumper. Use a load carrying hitch. You must distribute the load in your trailer so that 10–15% of the total weight of the trailer is on the tongue, not to exceed the maximum tongue loads as stated:

• Class II receiver: 350 lb. (159 kg)• Class III/IV receiver: 500 lb. (227 kg) (weight carrying); 740 lb.

Tags
mount, tow, towing