Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2022, 12:28 PM   #1
Cougar25

Upgrade the solar panel??

Hi. We have a 2021 Cougar 25RDS (love it, by the way). Before taking delivery, we had the 170 W RF Kit with one solar panel put on. On a trip last summer, we had to park the rig for two days while we stayed with friends about a mile away. Sunny weather, but the one solar panel couldn't keep the battery charged enough to keep the 12v 10 cu ft reefer running.

Does anyone know if the solar controller that came with that kit could handle a larger panel? Or 2 panels?

Thanks in advance.

Curt
Old 04-25-2022, 01:47 PM   #2
pasayten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar25 View Post
Does anyone know if the solar controller that came with that kit could handle a larger panel? Or 2 panels?

Thanks in advance.

Curt
We have a 2021 Cougar 26RBS with the 1 175 watt panel solar option... It came with a Zamp 30amp controller to be able to handle more panels on the roof. I believe 3 total. We bought an auxilary Zamp 100 watt portable "suitcase" panel that came with a 15 amp controller that plugs intp the side solar port.

What is the energy consumption rating on the refrigerator??? Are we talking a 12v/propane typical refrigerator? Or a full 12v (no propane) refrigerator? Thay can use 1000-1500 watt per day.

We have the 10cuft standard 12v/propane refer... It does not use very much power... about 400 watts per day and the solar panel easily handles that and keeps the batteries charged on sunny days. Wonder if you had some other items using current?

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:05 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd first ask if you're sure the dealer actually installed "the Zamp kit" or whether , to save a few bucks profit, he may have used an aftermarket system????

If he used the Zamp components that are "supposedly designated by Keystone" then it should have a 30 amp charge controller. That does not mean that what's in your trailer is "what's supposed to be there"....

Zamp sells a "170 watt extension kit" that is designed to "tie into the existing Keystone OEM Zamp solar system. https://www.zampsolar.com/products/k...-expansion-kit

Doing the math, at full power, the 170 watt solar panel can provide 13.49 amps at 12.6 VDC which is 11.64 amps at 14.6 VDC.

The actual panel specifications say that the maximum output amperage is 9.19 amps (apparently at a voltage output of 18.5 VDC. That "output rating" would allow the "maximum of 3 of the 170 watt panels added to the controller input" as stated in a previous post....

But, I'd urge you to verify that what you "think the dealer installed" is actually what "he really installed".... I can't start to count the number of times I've heard, "Keystone sent the dealer X" and when we look into it, we find that "The dealer got Keystone's authorization to install OEM, but elected to install an aftermarket product instead".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:10 PM   #4
GlasNav

Yes, it can handle a total of three, Zamp which is now a division of Dometic has an expansion package for the legacy units. I have installed the kit, on ours. If you go with the full three, make sure that you purchase the splitter plug adapter since there are only two sockets on the roof. Ships from Oregon.
Also upgraded to a pair of 100AH LiFePO4 batteries.
Let me know if you want some pictures.
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:05 PM   #5
GHen

Upgrade the solar panel??

The solar panels will only help charge the batteries for about 6 hours a day. A 100watt panel will average about 24 amps a day with sun, you could be using 100.

What will really help you is a strong battery bank that can power your refer for the full 24 hours. The more powerful the batteries the more days you can be without power.

What do you currently have for batteries? Brand model and size?
I have 4 interstate, CG2 with total 420amphours, 210amphour usable. If your refer uses 100 amps a day that would give me 2 days. Solar will help, I have 300watts on the roof.
2 100amp lithiums would give you about the same.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:19 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
Yes, it can handle a total of three, Zamp which is now a division of Dometic has an expansion package for the legacy units. I have installed the kit, on ours. If you go with the full three, make sure that you purchase the splitter plug adapter since there are only two sockets on the roof. Ships from Oregon.
Also upgraded to a pair of 100AH LiFePO4 batteries.
Let me know if you want some pictures.
Hey not to derail but what is that on the back of your trailer in your signature pic?
Old 04-26-2022, 12:51 PM   #7
Cougar25

Thanks for the reply.

The Norcold owner's manual and installation instruction manual don't quote the Amp draw. There is a 15 Amp in-line fuse, so that's the max.

I found another place on the Norcold website for a reefer that is the same size as mine, but has the LED panel on top, instead of between the freezer and frig. It says the draw is 5.7 amps in Normal mode, and 3.7 in Night mode. One battery - OEM. Seems like I need a second panel.
Old 04-26-2022, 08:35 PM   #8
BandT

I added 2 more panels, will probably add more. My mistake was I didn’t want to spend the $$$ for Zamp panels, so I bought another brand. OK so what? Well do a little reading first, mixing and matching solar panels can go bad. I got lucky where I am at, but I will have to take a step back in order to add more. So a word to the wise, add the Exact same panel, or do your home work to find other compatible ones.

Tags
solar, upgrade