Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2022, 08:48 AM   #21
Nitehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Looking at photos of the OP's model trailer, there is no external vent in the area of the range/oven. So, the only two alternatives are to either "modify the slide sidewall" by cutting an opening for a vented range hood or to install an overhead vent fan in the roof vent. Both will work to remove cooking odors/humidity from the galley area, but there is no "grease filter" on the overhead roof vent option. That will mean the OP will need to stay diligent on keeping the fan/vent area clean and free of grease. Totally "doable" but not always the "easiest to manage option".....
I want to do the hole in the side option.. would it be a simple job to do. I think baring any studs if properly seal outside and the connection to the hood is sealed it would only take an hour or so.
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 08:49 AM   #22
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskim View Post
If cooking fumes or steam repeatedly set off nuisance alarms in the kitchen, install a smoke detector with a “hush” button, like the BRK Electronics 9120 Smoke Alarm. The hush button reduces the alarm’s sensitivity for a short period of time.

We actually have one, but with the newer/higher "curved roof" my wife is so short she has to stand on something to reach it! .... or call me in to do it
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 08:53 AM   #23
Nitehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
This is an image I cropped off of that view on your link and rotated it and high lighted in yellow

If you have the skill sets then a powered vent fan installed would be a great improvement when trying to cook inside

The one issue may be getting 12 volts DC to the powered fan but it can be done with some forethought and patience

Something like this with a powered vent lift might be worth a look see and measurements to see what you might need size wise

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...19-603-00.html
When I installed my power fan I managed to snag the same wire the was powering the stove hood. Had to use a wire fish to pull the wire but not hard to do . Also I noticed that one could take the power from the lights as that wires usually run down the center of the roof. Just have to make sure the wire you take is live all the time and not operated from an auxiliary switch
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:48 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskim View Post
If cooking fumes or steam repeatedly set off nuisance alarms in the kitchen, install a smoke detector with a “hush” button, like the BRK Electronics 9120 Smoke Alarm. The hush button reduces the alarm’s sensitivity for a short period of time.
Make sure that smoke detector is "rated for RV use"... Many/most smoke detectors have a temperature/humidity range that prohibits them from being installed in an RV that is stored without HVAC to "condition" the environment. Nothing worse than installing a "convenient hush button smoke detector", then the following week, your RV is stored where the interior temperature/humidity exceed the limits of the new smoke detector, cause it to fail, but the following weekend, you rely on it to protect your family, and think how "ingenious you are" because all weekend, the smoke detector never alarmed, not even one time.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 03:08 PM   #25
mike95776

Hey John, I found one of those SAM-E vent upgrade units and got it installed... The one I got was a Amazon discounted return ($30off).... When I plugged into my jump battery the fan did not work but the light went on... Rather than send it back I tore it apart and found that a safety switch had not been spot-welded and was laying in the box. I put a pop rivet in it and solved the problem...

You were right.... it is a 110% improvement... The bad news is that the company is no longer in business...so much for the 2 year warranty. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00VAAQ3...roduct_details
mike95776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:51 PM   #26
TimC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
For the most part, we tend to cook outside but there are occasions where we cook indoors and end up (like everyone else) getting some type of smoke, set off the detectors etc. Since our stove has this unvented fan, I was wondering if we actually just upgraded the roof vent to fan would this help.

What are others experiences and/or solutions?

thanks
I considered the installation of the Maxxfan in my old rig to be one of the best upgrades I did to it. It did help a lot with the cooking smoke/odor even with a vented range hood. What I did was switch it to blow air in and opened a window next to the stove. I would use it on maybe 30 to 40 percent of max. That would push the air out that window along with smoke and odors.

That was just a side benefit. The biggest benefit of the Maxxfan upgrade in my opinion was how much air that thing could move. Just open a window and crank that thing up and it’d have the temp in the camper down to outside temp quickly.

I loved that fan so much that I have a brand new one sitting in a box that arrived today. It’ll be going in the new cougar as soon as weather cooperates for an install. This time around it has fhe added benefit of replacing the vent cover that is duct taped together (damn tree got in my way).

TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:10 AM   #27
dljs1941

I had the same issue in my Bullet. Was surprised to find it did nit vent outdoors. I have a ceiling vent close to the stove area and installed a Maxxaire cover along with a Hengs fan (which is installed from inside the TT). I was able to grab power from a nearby light. Only downside is the light switch has to be on, but we typically have that light turned on when using the stove.
Old 03-11-2022, 07:33 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95776 View Post
Hey John, I found one of those SAM-E vent upgrade units and got it installed... The one I got was a Amazon discounted return ($30off).... When I plugged into my jump battery the fan did not work but the light went on... Rather than send it back I tore it apart and found that a safety switch had not been spot-welded and was laying in the box. I put a pop rivet in it and solved the problem...

You were right.... it is a 110% improvement... The bad news is that the company is no longer in business...so much for the 2 year warranty. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00VAAQ3...roduct_details
I've bought some of Amazon's "discount/return merchandise" in the past. Their "like new, original packaging slightly damaged" descriptions are sometimes "wildly incorrect"... At least you got it fixed and working... Quite the improvement over the OEM range fan, eh ??? We still are impressed with how much air it moves, even after 7 or 8 years of use.... I think you'll like the improvement it gives you....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade, vent