Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2023, 03:18 PM   #1
Bob N

Another Chapter in "Your New RV is Broken Again?"

Without going into all of the details, my 2022 Cougar 25RDS spent 43% of my first year of ownership in my worthless dealers shop, or more correctly on the lot. Now I am sitting in a campground 5.5 hrs from home with a slideout that has a seriously frayed cable at two connection points. I discovered it when doing a walkaround looking for sealant gaps on the exterior. With the slide out, I wondered if the 2 strands (of 6) still connected would let me bring in the sofa slide and get home. I still have three days left on my reservation. Well, after calling Keystone to ask some questions, I decided that it would break today or Tuesday when packing up to go home. I determined that I needed to know now if it was going to work. It came in OK, and I secured it in the closed position in case the cable broke traveling home. Now to fix the problem when I get home. My questions are: can I replace the cable myself, where do I get the correct cable kit, and will my "platinum" extended warranty cover the repairs if I have a Mobile RV tech repair it. There is no way in hell I am going back to my purchasing dealer, and I doubt if another Keystone approved dealer can get it in for repairs. What would anyone out there suggest? I am open to suggestions, because I'm about to give up on this thing. I like my Cougar, but am tired of continual problems having to be addressed. I have done other work and added modifications to make it better, but it gets a little tiresome. Suggestions?
2022 Cougar 25RDS with
600i-L Package
Blue Ox Track Pro WDH
Bob N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:13 PM   #2
peanut

This was the subject of a post just 3 days ago.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=54797

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:28 PM   #3
German Shepherd Guy

So the other post covered "can I do it myself" pretty well. Sounds like Yes. But question 2 and 3 are still unanswered. Where can OP get a replacement cable kit, and will his "platinum warranty" cover a mobile RV repair? #2 I do not know the answer to. #3, I suspect the answer is no but hope some out there can answer both #2 and #3 definitively.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 06:58 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Take your pick:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bal+accu+..._ts-doa-p_3_10

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:07 PM   #5
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
So the other post covered "can I do it myself" pretty well. Sounds like Yes. But question 2 and 3 are still unanswered. Where can OP get a replacement cable kit, and will his "platinum warranty" cover a mobile RV repair? #2 I do not know the answer to. #3, I suspect the answer is no but hope some out there can answer both #2 and #3 definitively.
These five sources came up with a simple, two second google search.

https://www.amazon.com/BAL-22305-Cab.../dp/B00303EG7M

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/BAL-2...-p/46-8005.htm

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bal-22305...176230&veh=sem

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30478284672...hantid=6296724

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bal-Cabl...7468&gclsrc=ds

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 07:31 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

To answer the question, "Will my platinum extended warranty cover a mobile RV tech to repair the broken cable?"....

That's like asking, "Will my Allstate insurance policy cover the same things as a Progressive policy or a State Farm policy?" Every insurance policy (extended warranty policies are aftermarket insurance not usually a "factory supported repair program") is slightly different from other company's policy and different ones protect different things and have different procedures to file a claim or obtain a repair...

The ONLY way to determine what your "Platinum extended warranty" will or will not cover is to read the actual small print or call the claims center and ask the question.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:16 AM   #7
Bob N

Thanks for the reply. I don’t know why I phrased my question that way. I should have said: do you think my extended warranty will cover repairs, based on your previous experience. I have contacted my carrier to check with them, to get the process started before I get into the repairs.
Old 06-03-2023, 04:13 AM   #8
notanlines

Bob, I believe most of the regulars on here have experienced your same feelings. I believe it was King Solomon who once said “This too shall pass.” You stated how much you love the RV but were worn down with the fixing everything. Soon you will have covered most everything and will enter a period of normalcy. Rv ownership is a seemingly lifetime of little repairs. Rewarded with cold beer, rare steaks, camp fires and other people’s screaming kids. (Nothing is perfect!)
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:37 AM   #9
Bob N

Thanks for the upbeat reply. I would be okay if not for the 22weeks that the dealer had my trailer for a warranty issue and never fixed it. This was over three different visits between my few great trips last year. I finally told them that they were done with me and my business. I’ll get over it. Suck it up and move on eh?
2022 Cougar 25RDS with
600i-L Package
Blue Ox Track Pro WDH
Old 06-03-2023, 06:16 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
Thanks for the upbeat reply. I would be okay if not for the 22weeks that the dealer had my trailer for a warranty issue and never fixed it. This was over three different visits between my few great trips last year. I finally told them that they were done with me and my business. I’ll get over it. Suck it up and move on eh?
You would be astounded or amazed (well, maybe not) at the number of very simple fixes I help owners with that their RV dealership was not able to (or simply didn't) fix. One recent repair was a fan switch on the range exhaust hood. The dealership had the trailer for 8 weeks, sitting behind the service department. The owner asked me if I could fix it. I suggested he go into that dealership, get the switch which was hanging on a peg in the electrical supply part of their store, buy the switch and bring it to me with the trailer. I pulled the old switch, installed the new one in about 5 minutes.....

The dealership said the part was not available due to supply chain problems, but they had 5 of them sitting 15' away in their own store all while the trailer sat behind their shop, "dead in the water" (the batteries were dead when he picked it up)...

So, in his case, they either didn't care or are totally incompetent, and with the dead batteries, they literally made his trailer worse by saying they were repairing it.

I've heard hundreds of stories like this, so it's no surprise that you've added "just one more saga to the list of incompetent, uncaring, profit hungry dealerships"......

That said, there are some very good to excellent dealers, so don't paint every dealer as being bad.... Some are great. The "trick" is being lucky enough to connect with a great one the first time..... Some are lucky, most buyers, well.... Better luck next time.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 09:15 AM   #11
travelin texans

These stories are the reason it's been recommended to shop for a new rv not from the dealer with the best sales prices, but rather with the best service department. You only need that sales department once & they won't remember you afterwards, but you quite possibly will need that service department for an entire 1st year. If they can't screw in a light bulb without messing up 3 other things then your rv experience is going to be very very unpleasant.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 09:29 AM   #12
jasin1

I recently bought a new Ford transit van…i called the service dept from the showroom to see how long to schedule a warranty repair on a fictitious problem i made up….They had something for the following week which i thought was pretty good…I’d advise to do the same with rv dealers.
I’d also advise to make a list of the things you need repaired under warranty and categorize them on “can i do this myself for under $200?”
anything that falls into the expensive category like roof issues or structural problems i would take it into the dealer to get it looked at and then bring the trailer home until they can give you a pretty firm date for repairs and parts acquisitions after approval….this way you can still use the trailer but your concerns are noted by the dealer.

They could really care less how long your rig sits waiting and chances are that people who screamed louder then you got bumped ahead of you on the list…and i wouldn’t let them off the hook so easily…you probably made their day by saying you would never come back…they probably wish all customers with warranty problems would just go away….i’d ask to speak to the owner or dealer manager and tell them you will be a thorn in their side until they do what’s right and honor the warranty in a timely manner.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:33 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Anyone who is willing to wait for a dealership service department for 22 weeks and has bought a "platinum" aftermarket service plan has just paid for some valuable education. I personally feel that if I do it myself it is more likely to be done right. There are probably great service departments out there but we sure don't hear about those on this forum.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:10 AM   #14
Bob N

Thank you for the thoughtful reply.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:02 AM   #15
German Shepherd Guy

Thanks for the links to the cables guys. Looks like they are all universal fit? Also not as expensive as I thought it would be.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:25 AM   #16
Bob N

Thank you for the information.
2022 Cougar 25RDS with
600i-L Package
Blue Ox Track Pro WDH
Old 06-04-2023, 09:28 AM   #17
Bob N

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry I didn't check recent posts before I dared to ask question. I could have saved everyone's time
2022 Cougar 25RDS with
600i-L Package
Blue Ox Track Pro WDH
Old 06-11-2023, 08:59 AM   #18
Readi2Roll

I have a 2017, 26RBS. My slide is made by BAL . It is an ACCU-SLIDE. They have all the info on how to replace the cable, and parts on their website: www.norcoind.com
For example:
https://balrvproducts.com/product/ex...placement-kit/
Down load the SERVICE MANUAL for all kinds of info.
Readi2Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:17 AM   #19
Bob N

Slide out progress

Thanks for all the great info. I have 2, and possibly three cables fraying due to the stand-off brackets being placed in the wrong place at the factory. I have four kits in hand and have removed the upper valance on the slide out. What an *** backwards way to trim out the slide. Probably 75 long randomly placed staples and 8 long Chinese wood screws, plus someone added some glue at one of the joints. The whole thing is trimmed out with vinyl tape covered 3/4” LDF with a light plywood insert, and LDF manufactured trim caps and splice cover. The info from the Norco website is excellent, as were their videos on YouTube. There was a good video by a mobile RV tech out of Washington State that was pretty informative on YouTube too. There were several others too, but they were pretty scattered and disjointed. I should have the cables replaced tomorrow, and the stand-off brackets repositioned where they should have been initially. I am going to carefully check all 8 brackets and cables and adjust as needed. Now that the removal of the cheap *** fiberboard trim is complete, I don’t want to have to reinstall it and then have to remove it again for another adjustment. My advice to Keystone is to do a better job lining up the stand-off brackets with the cable entry paths. That trim will not make it through many installs, removals and reinstalls. But then again, they can sell more parts and send business to one of their lame non-service dealers. I appreciate all of the comments and help. Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2023, 10:20 AM   #20
tanglemoose

Hello, being lazy and not reading all the posts..... our slide broke two days before big trip.. our terrific service department fixed in 2 days on our extended warranty and costs us zero...

You need to find a good service department that services Keystone and start doing business with them........ and your problems will be solved. We work so well with our service department, and because of that, we bought our 25rdswe from them. Even though cost us a little more $$. We kill with kindness our service advisor! never yell, not her fault. We had 45 things that needed to be addressed with our new "covid" made 25rdswe.. but all is great now, and we love the floor plan! Keep trying.. and yes, I think if you are so many miles away from your extended warranty place you can have mobile rv fix... That is what our extended warranty says..... Good luck and happy camping!
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote