Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2023, 01:37 PM   #21
Wilks

A little background..... I'm a trade driver for a local GMC/Chevy dealer in my spare time so I get the opportunity to drive different vehicles from time to time. Last week I delivered a 2022 Cadillac Blackwing (668hp and a 6speed) to a customer about an hour and a half away...absolutely amazing. Today I delivered a 2023 GMC AT4 2500 w/Duramax truck to Paducah,Ky. about 2 1/2 hours away and picked up a 2023 3500 Denali w'Duramax.

Both trucks drove quite well but that 3500 rode like a log wagon on anything worse than a perfectly flat asphalt road. Of course the Duramax motors were amazing power wise and both got around 17.2 mpg for the 120 mile distance. They both started with like 50 miles on them so I expect mileage will get better as miles are driven.

Just reporting my experience for those here.

Still on track for a 2500 gas motor truck...I'm sure sometime in the near future I'll get an opportunity to deliver one...those diesels sure were nice tho.
Old 06-18-2023, 03:59 PM   #22
captbozy

I recently purchased my first Chevy. I chose the 2500 HD gas for several reasons.
1- Cost. I would love the diesel but could not put out for it.
2- Maintenance. A good friend who is a mechanic ( I trust) chose the gas and pulls a 12000 lb rig with no issues. Maintenance, It does cost a lot more.
3- At this point in my life my wife and I only get to pull 3 times a year. If I was full time or going every other week , I think I would go for the diesel.
captbozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:09 AM   #23
Wilks

Yep I've definitely decided on a gas 2500 when the time comes. Since starting this thread things have changed tho....we've now decided on a 2023 Jayco Jay Feather 26RL....weighs a little less (6010) and less hitch weight (700)....I will be pulling it initially with my current truck (2014 GMC Sierra w/5.3L 3.42 rear)....9600 tow and 1650 payload. I know it's not optimal but it's just the way it's gonna have to be....we'll be short trip camping till the 2500 comes into the picture.

Once again thanks for all the comments.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:56 AM   #24
Pull Toy

As mentioned already, a half ton won’t safely do the job. Also mentioned was the minimal price difference for 3/4 vs one ton. You get a lot more truck for that minor additional investment by going straight to the one ton. Another part of the decision process, in my opinion, should be, what are my future plans. Very few of us downsize. We usually go bigger, therefore needing more “motive power”. Another secondary consideration is resale. The one ton will hold its value better. The 32 foot fiver is getting rarer, while the 40 foot + triple axle toy boxes, and deluxe apartments on wheels are becoming more and more common. There is a huge market for clean used trucks that are up to the job.

The choice between gas or diesel should be made based on cost versus return, and what your current and future needs are. We have all heard the stories about how the current “perfect truck for me” didn’t meet the new needs, and traded a new truck, for a new truck $$$!

My current TV is a Ford 350 with the 6.7 turbo diesel. I keep hearing how expensive it is to run. Diesel is 35 to 40 cents a gallon more than reg. unleaded in my area. I generally average 16.5 mpg as my daily driver, and 10 to 12 towing 15,000 pounds depending on terrain. My oil changes cost me $110 for synthetic oil and all filters, but that’s only every 10,000 miles. My wife’s Explorer also averages 16 +/- mpg, and gets oil and filter every 5000 miles for about $40. Not much difference there, considering that her car isn’t recommended for towing. My long time experience of towing with both gas and diesel has been:

1. The big block gassers will get the job done. My last one averaged 12 empty, 8 towing.

2. My 6.7 doesn’t even know the trailer is back there. My running total MPG towing over all terrain has been 11.4.

The up front additional investment is a considerable part of the thought process for most of us. My day to day costs are negligible, and if I keep my truck clean, I’ll see quite a bit more when it’s time to sell. For me the diesel gives me a value added to my tow when it comes to a relaxed trip.

Good luck,
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling