Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2023, 08:13 AM   #1581
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Replace it, already woke you up once.
Yeah, now it's twice, so bye Felicia. The 45-741 is discontinued and out of stock, and the replacement is a completely different size and aspect ratio, so it looks like I get to do some more needless cosmetic foolishness.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:48 PM   #1582
LHaven

Replaced the propane/CO alarm today. Date on the new unit is May 2023.... date on the old unit is May 2018. When they say these things need replacement in five years, looks like they're not kidding.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:08 PM   #1583
sourdough
Site Team

Put it off long enough; finally finished washing, buffing and waxing the traiier this morning - about 3 days. Looks great, I feel stiff. Fell off the ladder once stepping off 2 steps above the ground. Lost balance, held onto one leg of the ladder as I twisted and landed SQUARELY between the legs of DW who was sitting on a chair watching. Tried to catch me, let me slide through and hit the ground on my butt and like a pro ball player caught both sides of that 12' ladder as it came down on us - fantastic! Bruised butt and tail but man, that was pretty cool!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 08:24 PM   #1584
LHaven

Video, or it didn't happen.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:50 PM   #1585
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Video, or it didn't happen.

It would been one of those u tube moments I figure. She actually had her phone out but was not taking a video. Probably best it wasn't on video....I surely didn't feel graceful. She however handled that like a pro....it was pretty amazing; I just wish she could have grabbed some sort of pad to put under me before my butt hit the concrete footing running across the front of the entry! Ahhh, the grace of aging. I've climbed thousands of miles up and down on ladders from 7' to 36' and never fallen - I'm glad it was only 2 steps up.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 04:59 AM   #1586
Skillet173

Dropped it off AGAIN at dealer for front Schwintek slide repair. It failed in middle of summer and dealer replaced entire rack and system but the bottom rollers had already worn through the plastic covering under slide. Now they are replacing that and found rollers have failed also. Of course, they are fighting with Keystone and warranty company about who’s paying…

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 12:46 PM   #1587
Living Like Nomads

Quote:
Didn't help. I ended up evacuating and deodorizing the entire passthru, then gave everything a sniff test on the way back in. I suspected my red gray-water hose was the culprit, but nope. Imagine my surprise to find it was my short-length "extension" drinking water hose stanking up the hole -- a hose I don't believe I've used since well before I got this rig. And it was connected to itself, so it wasn't trapped water, but the outer surface smelling all rubbery/plasticky. So I did a complete inside and outside bleach flush on both that and my red hose, and stuffed them into vacuum shrink bags (not for shrinking, but the bags are airtight).

While I had the passthru vacant, I knocked together a storage board for some of the larger, heavier hitch tools I use at every CG stop, tools that were overwhelming my tool bag anyway. Now I can move the toolbag out of prime real-estate so I can access my black and fresh water items with less strain.
I like the idea of that drill holder. Does it actually stay in place while you are moving? Tired my mine taking up all the room in the tool bag.
Living Like Nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:29 PM   #1588
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Like Nomads View Post
I like the idea of that drill holder. Does it actually stay in place while you are moving? Tired my mine taking up all the room in the tool bag.
Doesn't move. The black widgets at each corner are screw-in "footies" I took off computer keyboards 35 years ago and saved in a can (waste not, want not). They put enough stress on the board to keep it happy to stay where it is.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:09 PM   #1589
LHaven

My Cougar came with a pair of Nova Pro slam latches that like to lock up on people. (They've been discontinued for this flaw.) Inside, there's a little plastic cap on a metal pin that has a very short operational life -- it cracks, falls off its pin, and then the latch handle is frozen. So I bought a pair of Nova XL Pro latches, which Lippert assured me were a compatible replacement.

Installed the first one today, and discovered that the "latch tongue to door inner surface" spacing on the new unit was about 3/8", while the old unit was 1". So the hatch shuts with the latch tongue only halfway along/atop the 7/8" wide striker block, never reaching the far end, meaning the hatch doesn't latch at all.

I have a call in to the nice Lippert lady who assured me it was a compatible replacement.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:33 AM   #1590
jsb5717

Quote:
My Cougar came with a pair of Nova Pro slam latches that like to lock up on people. (They've been discontinued for this flaw.) Inside, there's a little plastic cap on a metal pin that has a very short operational life -- it cracks, falls off its pin, and then the latch handle is frozen. So I bought a pair of Nova XL Pro latches, which Lippert assured me were a compatible replacement.

Installed the first one today, and discovered that the "latch tongue to door inner surface" spacing on the new unit was about 3/8", while the old unit was 1". So the hatch shuts with the latch tongue only halfway along/atop the 7/8" wide striker block, never reaching the far end, meaning the hatch doesn't latch at all.

I have a call in to the nice Lippert lady who assured me it was a compatible replacement.
On a positive note...it makes it easier to open

Lippert is pretty helpful, I'm sure they'll make it right.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 06:29 PM   #1591
LHaven

Lippert swung and whiffed. I found a solution that cost me all of $1.50 and some elbow grease, and I'll be returning the incompatible Nova Pro XL latches tomorrow.

The problem with the original Nova Pro slam latches is a plastic bearing cap that cracks and falls off its pin (photo 1), and then the latch locks up or flaps loosely (depending on where the cap lodges) but will not open in either case.

I went to the hardware store today and found these nylon collars (photo 2) in the vast Hillman array of shallow parts boxes on slide-out trays: Assortment box 98469, "Metric Nylon Spacers," part #403674-F, "10mm OD, 5.3mm ID, 15mm L, for M5 screw." They press onto the shaft with satisfying firmness and won't be falling off.

I had to sand a flat along one side to thin it down, otherwise the latch mechanism's locking arm won't sink low enough to allow the lock's bar to climb on top of it (photo 3). There's enough slop in the mechanism that the flattened side can still be a whole lot beefier than the original cap was and still engage the lock.

Maybe someone looking to repair his faulty Nova Pro slam latches (because there is no ACTUAL drop-in replacement available) will find this posting in a web search and save himself a lot of grief.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110E97C4-E315-4E7E-AE5B-20D367E3F8F0.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	45991   Click image for larger version

Name:	865D8DA8-9F73-43E3-87DC-1C602CC20078_1_201_a.jpg
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	45992   Click image for larger version

Name:	3B81AFD7-BC04-464B-9F11-5ECB628922EA_1_201_a.jpg
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	45993  
Old 01-08-2024, 11:07 PM   #1592
jsb5717

Sweet! I love a good MacGyver solution. Well done!
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 02:07 PM   #1593
LHaven

Well, not "my" RV, but...

We hosted a nice retired lady at our park this weekend, a newbie with her first rig, a Mercedes class C. She called yesterday evening to tell us she'd be leaving early because her water heater wasn't working. Assuming it was most probably the outdoor winterizing switch, I motored out to show her where it was.

When I got there, I found that her rig was outfitted with an on-demand heater instead. (An image search today matches the Truma Aqua-Go.) I had her run some "hot" water and listened for a gas flow and an igniter click and heard neither. There was an ON-OFF-ON switch on the right (which I found extremely odd, but she didn't have a manual -- research today shows the two ONs to have no particular significance, weird engineering). In any event, the little green LED at the switch lit in both ON positions, so it wasn't a fuse.

I unscrewed the inside hatch to see if there was some sort of winterizing bypass. There was a two valve loop but they seemed to be in the proper positions. Tweaking the release valve outdoors produced cold water under pressure, so there was water available. In the rear was a "comfort plus circulation line" which was on a red tube and valved off. I opened it but it changed nothing (my intuition told me to leave it open, which turned out to be correct according to the manual).

In any event, the major symptom seemed to be no gas relay noise or igniter snap. I verified her gas stove worked, so it wasn't propane. Every time she opened or closed a hot faucet, I heard a chunk noise from a round fixture on the upper left that appeared to me to be a flow detection turbine that should have opened the gas relay, but no gas, no heat. I could find no loose connections. I finally told her the problem was beyond me.

We had a little talk about how to get it repaired. She was from NM, but bought the rig in Tucson, and Lazydays was telling her they would only service it in Tucson. The rig looked brand new, but she tells me it is second-hand, so manufacturer intercession seems to be out of the question. Plus the selling dealer had problems demonstrating the hot water at walk-through but managed to make it work through some magic she didn't understand.

A sad first camping experience for a newbie.
Old 02-11-2024, 02:57 PM   #1594
dutchmensport

It's been a while since I posted on this thread. But TODAY (Feb 11) I fixed both front slides on my fifth wheel (front living room). The front wall (forward facing wall) of both slides separated at the bottom where the outside wall and the outside bottom join. Keystone sure didn't add an extra milimeter of length to those side panels so they'd actually catch under that metal trim. They just butted up to it and then filled the gap with clear calking.

Well, it spearated and water got in, under the bottom causing the plywood to swell.

I used the blow dryer to dry out the wood. I blew both sides for over an hour before doing anyting. I cut a new piece of L bracket (aluminum) to length. Both sides of the "L" are 2 inches wide. Drilled holes in them so they'd actually catch the aluminum frame. I used ratchet straps to hold and pull that aluminum L bracket up and squish everything back to together as much as possible, then drilled in new metal screws (after pumping an entire tube of Gorilla calking glue into the walls and under that L bracket.) Then used the Gorilla calking to run a final bead around the edges of the L bracket to completely seal everything from water. I'll spray paint everything black again after I can get to the store and get more paint.

The next project, in the next couple days, is to fix another broken slide cable. This will be my 7th cable since we purchased the camper new! No, it's not the same cable every time, it's always a different one making new challenges to reach each one in very, very tight spaces!
Old 02-11-2024, 04:40 PM   #1595
Kojac

I replace front door lock with new RV Lock, replaced Vent cover that got busted during a Thunder/Hailstorm and replaced water heater electric element with a new thermostat!
20K Reese Goosebox
Kojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:10 AM   #1596
tallen

New things done

Finally got warm enough to put in the 2nd stinky slinky holder, then installed LED light bars as added reverse lights while backing up RV, and last. I got the battery charges hung up out of the way, along with installing the dimmer box, to control them very very bright LED in the RV. (shout out to Dave727 for this information) Link here Link

Next up installing Nautilus shower doors
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2nd Stinky Slinky holder.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	46240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup lights installed.jpg
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	46241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Charges & LED Dimmer.jpg
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	46242  
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 08:07 AM   #1597
flyingjack

LHaven: deflecting sunlight issue; any chance you could post pics. We've always used the bubble wrap with silver reflective coating in our windows and no issues; but, sounds very real and don't want to take any chances with our 2022 HC.
Thanks
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:33 AM   #1598
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjack View Post
LHaven: deflecting sunlight issue; any chance you could post pics. We've always used the bubble wrap with silver reflective coating in our windows and no issues; but, sounds very real and don't want to take any chances with our 2022 HC.
Thanks
Here's a photo of the simple tinfoil barrier I made up to shield the interior plastic bezel from the concentrated sunlight, and another of the deformation that happened before I installed the shield, which is identical on both our doors. This deformation occurred in just a couple weeks of after installing the Camco reflective shades, while parked stationary at our place in desert Arizona.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51178749-2F44-4B82-B2EE-66B3484B7E1B.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	46245   Click image for larger version

Name:	B53A9982-C9CC-4653-89E7-B61C64FAC194_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	46247  
Old 02-17-2024, 08:48 AM   #1599
Jonahex2099

Stared longingly at the covered up rig *waiting* for uncovering day...
Old 02-17-2024, 08:53 AM   #1600
Camping family

Changed water filter
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote