Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-04-2024, 06:31 PM   #41
rhagfo
Senior Member
 
rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
Do I ďfeelĒ a wind blast from said cattle truck? Yes. Does it cause my rig to sway? No. You obviously havenít pulled a fiver with a capable tow vehicle compared to your bumper hitch. I suggest trying it before making sweeping generalizations about something you appear to have no experience with.
The sad part is the TV doesnít need to be truly capable! As a park host I have seen many towing mid sized 5th wheels with 1/2 ton TV! Knowing that likely all were overloaded.
As mentioned I for several years towed our 5th wheel wit a 2001 Ram 2500 CTD with 5 speed manual. It scaled 1,700# over TV GVWR, within axle and tire ratings
The physics of a 5th wheel are far superior, those of a TT, it eliminates the leverage of the pivot point being 3í to 4í aft of the rear axle. About the same as trying to loosen a nut with 2í breaker bar, or a nut driver (like a screw driver).

Just an FYI to the OP, our 5th wheel has a 2,800# pin and with a SRW 3500 we would have been tight on numbers, as DW, myself, and my in bed tool box adds 1,400# to my payload so total payload is 4,200#!
__________________
Russ & Paula and Belle the Beagle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 14,000# GVWR (New TV)
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS 32í GVWR 12,360
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 06:36 PM   #42
jfk69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Owosso
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The sad part is the TV doesn’t need to be truly capable! As a park host I have seen many towing mid sized 5th wheels with 1/2 ton TV! Knowing that likely all were overloaded.
As mentioned I for several years towed our 5th wheel wit a 2001 Ram 2500 CTD with 5 speed manual. It scaled 1,700# over TV GVWR, within axle and tire ratings
The physics of a 5th wheel are far superior, those of a TT, it eliminates the leverage of the pivot point being 3’ to 4’ aft of the rear axle. About the same as trying to loosen a nut with 2’ breaker bar, or a nut driver (like a screw driver).

Just an FYI to the OP, our 5th wheel has a 2,800# pin and with a SRW 3500 we would have been tight on numbers, as DW, myself, and my in bed tool box adds 1,400# to my payload so total payload is 4,200#!
Agreed. Been down that road myself. The fact is, the stability of a fifth wheel can absolutely overshadow inadequacies of the tow vehicle (often until it’s too late). With that said, when you have an adequate tow vehicle, fifth wheels are a dream to pull relative to any bumper hitch with the best hitch in the world. That’s a fact.
__________________
Joe & Mary
2015 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.7 PS
2018 Cougar 344MKS
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 07:20 PM   #43
GlasNav
Senior Member
 
GlasNav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: Onaga, KS
Posts: 272
I used the wrong word, it isn't a shockwave, it is actually a pressure wave, that causes the bang / whoosh, whatever. However, IF you read my post I didn't mention sway at all, I was simply discussing the "blast" that is encountered!

I've ridden in semis, and know what those trucks experience in the meeting situation, they hear the bang but with the truck weighing in the 20K lb range isn't affected much either.

I will leave it at that, this was a mere statement that it is impossible not to notice the effect and all of those replying verified this!
__________________

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 07:26 PM   #44
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 20,137
I shake my head sometimes when a customer comes in for service and itís obvious they are an accident waiting to happen.

True story: previous dealership, sold a triple axle Grand designs Momentum toy hauler. Customer didnít want to pay for it to be delivered 5 miles. Picked it up with a 90ís Chevy 1500. Put 100 psi in the rear tires, and off he went. The rear suspension was non functional and the front tires were barely touching pavement.
__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:52 AM   #45
jfk69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Owosso
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I shake my head sometimes when a customer comes in for service and itís obvious they are an accident waiting to happen.

True story: previous dealership, sold a triple axle Grand designs Momentum toy hauler. Customer didnít want to pay for it to be delivered 5 miles. Picked it up with a 90ís Chevy 1500. Put 100 psi in the rear tires, and off he went. The rear suspension was non functional and the front tires were barely touching pavement.
My brother in law pulled a 40í Cedar Creek Hathaway edition for 3 years with an F150 in spite of his sons and I railing on him constantly. My sis finally heard us telling him that in an accident his insurance could hose him and put an end to that. Crazy.
__________________
Joe & Mary
2015 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.7 PS
2018 Cougar 344MKS
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:03 AM   #46
rhagfo
Senior Member
 
rhagfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfk69 View Post
My brother in law pulled a 40í Cedar Creek Hathaway edition for 3 years with an F150 in spite of his sons and I railing on him constantly. My sis finally heard us telling him that in an accident his insurance could hose him and put an end to that. Crazy.
I can't believe that was at all a pleasant experience at all! Sure hope he didn't take any long trips.
__________________
Russ & Paula and Belle the Beagle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 14,000# GVWR (New TV)
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS 32í GVWR 12,360
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 11:46 AM   #47
jfk69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Owosso
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I can't believe that was at all a pleasant experience at all! Sure hope he didn't take any long trips.
He enjoyed it. Crazy eh?
__________________
Joe & Mary
2015 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.7 PS
2018 Cougar 344MKS
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 01:19 PM   #48
jsb5717
Senior Member
 
jsb5717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Milwaukie, OR
Posts: 1,374
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. There will always be 2 kinds of folks who drive mis-matched setups

Ignorant - Not a bad word...just means you don't know what you don't know. Their danger is proceeding without getting educated. But, they don't know and proceed off of gut thinking all is well. Many of these will self-correct once educated.

Foolish - some might say stupid - they DO know, or have been informed of the truth and choose to ignore it. I think there is a high percentage of mis-matched drivers in this category. You can't tell them anything and they think they know better than the data. Scary and dangerous

This is why I wish that there were a more regulated, standardized requirement for the TV to fall within the legal parameters for the trailer. I further wish that RV dealers were held accountable for making sure the accepted safety regulations were met before allowing a trailer off the lot. There are already so many laws and regulations in an attempt to keep the roads safe for everyone. And yet people are allowed to connect anything they want behind anything they want and speed down the highways. There's a huge disconnect somewhere.
__________________
Jeff & Sandi (and Teddy - 7lb Schnorkie)
2018 Montana High Country 305RL
2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 02:54 PM   #49
flybouy
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Joppa, MD
Posts: 11,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. There will always be 2 kinds of folks who drive mis-matched setups

Ignorant - Not a bad word...just means you don't know what you don't know. Their danger is proceeding without getting educated. But, they don't know and proceed off of gut thinking all is well. Many of these will self-correct once educated.

Foolish - some might say stupid - they DO know, or have been informed of the truth and choose to ignore it. I think there is a high percentage of mis-matched drivers in this category. You can't tell them anything and they think they know better than the data. Scary and dangerous

This is why I wish that there were a more regulated, standardized requirement for the TV to fall within the legal parameters for the trailer. I further wish that RV dealers were held accountable for making sure the accepted safety regulations were met before allowing a trailer off the lot. There are already so many laws and regulations in an attempt to keep the roads safe for everyone. And yet people are allowed to connect anything they want behind anything they want and speed down the highways. There's a huge disconnect somewhere.
Those that you label "Foolish" I prefer to label as ARROGANT. We've seen some come and go here and certain that we've all encountered them in person. In reference to the topic at hand, some will even brag about "running overweight " and getting away with it. It's the arrogant disregard for others that bothers me the most. If you don't respect or value your life and safety that your right, but heaven help you if you inflict damage to my family.

I apologize for the soap box speech, this type of attitude is very disturbing to me. JMHO, YMMV
__________________
Marshall
2012 Laredo 303 TG
2010 F250 LT Super Cab, long bed, 4X4, 6.4 Turbo Diesel
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cougar, tundra

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.