Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
SteveC7010

Added USB ports for charging

We both have iPhones, Kindles ,and several other portable electronic items that can be charged via a 5vdc USB cable. Since we dry camp a lot, we found that there wasn't always time during generator hours to charge our stuff. (Murphy's law says that the iPhone needs a charge after generator hours.)

So I hunted around and found a nifty UBS charging port that is designed to be panel mounted and runs off 12vdc. It's made by Blue Sea which is one of the most respected names in marine electrical hardware. It comes with a waterproof cap as it is designed to be installed on the exposed dash panel of boats with open cockpits so you could install it on the outside of an RV with no problems.

Here's the unit and one source for it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Sea-Dua...-/150833744974

I found a blank area on the front of the entertainment center next to the Jensen radio/DVD unit, drilled the hole and tapped into the hot and ground lines feeding the Jensen. I also added a toggle switch on the +12vdc side so that I can turn the unit off when not in use. It draws current continuously, even when not in use, so I did not want it pulling juice if not needed.

Blue Sea also makes a 12vdc accessory socket which can be used for chargers and such that use a regular cigarette lighter adapter plug. This would be a good item to also install alongside the USB charger socket. I already had a pair of Sea Choice sockets installed so I didn't get the Blue Sea one for this application.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Sea-Sys...-/140750366860

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
f6bits

As an experiment, I checked the current of a similar USB charging port for the cigarette lighter in my truck. Without devices plugged in, I read 50mA. That’s low enough that I’m not worried about leaving it plugged in all the time.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
As an experiment, I checked the current of a similar USB charging port for the cigarette lighter in my truck. Without devices plugged in, I read 50mA. That’s low enough that I’m not worried about leaving it plugged in all the time.
I think there are a lot of circumstances where leaving it hot all the time won't matter very much if at all. But when I dry camp, I try to conserve every mA that I can so I felt that adding the switch was a good move.

For those that camp with hookups most of the time, it may be a moot point anyway because they can use their regular 110vac wall chargers as needed.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
craiglud

Those are awesome sockets! I was thinking of getting a couple to install on each side of the bed. I use the alarm on my phone and way my cubby would not be all filled with charging devices!
craiglud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Clanton24v

Those are cool thanks for the link
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
eds451

I installed a Belkin USB charger (purchased at HD) that also has 3 AC outlets. I put it in the TV alcove, which I thought was a good place to store cells or other USB devices. Granted, the Belkin does not run off 12v, but a USB cigarette adapter can be plugged into the TV antenna booster is needed or left in the TV.

Central Calif.
2010 Dodge 2500HD, 5.7 hemi
2007 Cougar 244rls
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #7
atmo377

Great idea. I ordered one from Amazon. My wife wanted an outlet next to the bed so she can charge the iPhone. This is an easier way to go since the 12 volt line is right behind the wall for the cargo area.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
CincyGus

I bought a 3 outlet 12v power strip. It has a 12v cig lighter type plug to power it which I plugged into the antenna booster socket. I mounted it in the unused cabinet behind the TV and use it to plug my XM snap radio into whcih is only two cabinets away from my jensen so tranmitting the signal over FM freq works wonderfully. It also gives me two addtional cig lighter outlets which we use for cell phone and ipod charging. They make 12v adapters that plug into a cig lighter that give you an USB female plug to use which would work well in this situation.

Luckily for me, my wife, daughter and I all use phones that that the mini usb charger so 1 cord for phones and one for an ipod is all I need to carry in the camper. they get tucked into a little sterlight container in that same cabinet.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote