Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
oldfamer

Carlisle Tires

Has anyone put these tires on their camper? Pros or cons
oldfamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
matthewc45

I have a springdale 303bhssr that came with carlise tires on it. Done blow out three of them.I am changing to a new brand of tire.
matthewc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
chuck&gail

Admit I've not checked in a few years, but they used to hold the honor of the most tire complaints on record with the government. To each his own, but I would not put them on anything I planned to use on the street.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

oldfamer -
If you were to browse through all of the RV forums, you will find all sorts of threads about Carlisle RV tires - most of which are not favorable. They have a poor reputation and you will read many posts written by former Carlisle owners who have their own "horror" stories to tell.
Many owners of these tires have replaced them right away or when they show the slightest sign of wear. If you do a forum search here, you will find numerous threads about tires - some of them about Carlisle.
The problem that many are facing when it comes to replacing their present tires is finding an RV tire with a good reputation. Many seem to favor Maxxis. One of the Michelin trailer tires is also highly rated but it is pretty pricey.
If you are looking to replace your RV tires, be prepared to do some research but if I were looking to replace mine, Carlisle would not be one that I would consider.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
gbsb

My Carlise tires had 85 miles on them when I replaced them, good luck with your choise . I wouldn't even use a carlise for a tire swing but I have been known to be very opionated. George
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfamer View Post
Don't do it.......They are known for blow outs
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
hoffbrew

I have had zero problems with them on my triple axle.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
chain_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfamer View Post
Just a couple of many......
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/25930945.cfm

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...3.cfm#25707233

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...0.cfm#25332540
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
hoffbrew

Under inflation is a huge problem, I RV with 8 other families on a reg basis, they are all in the same negative boat about Carlisle but 3 of them have had blow outs; Goodyear and Mich tires. I ALWAYS check tire pressure whenever my trailer gets connected to truck, not everyone in my group does, esp the 3! Carlisle is a trailer tire so I go with that. Every mfg has production problems at one time or another period and when they do.... People like to bash. Check tire pressure often and don't drive 65+ mph. My magic speed is 58.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

hoffbrew -
You are quite right in that proper tire maintenance, not overloading your RV and driving sensibly all can prolong the life of any tire - Carlisle or otherwise. As you know, once a product gets a "bad rap" - deserved or not - it is next to impossible to get rid of that poor reputation. I am guilty in this case and have a negative bias (no pun intended) towards Carlisle tires - based solely on their reputation and the negative comments that abound on the forums about them.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
hoffbrew

Don't get me wrong, when I go to get new tires again and my tire guy recommends a different brand, I would more than likely put on what he recommends do to his knowledge. Carlisle's have given me no problems, so I would not hesitate to put them on again. Knock on wood. LOL!!!
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
RVUSA

So far I have gone from fl. to ca. and then to pa. ~8K miles on a set of carlisle radial trails. I went up from D rated tires to E, and along with their being radials vs. bias ply and always running them at max psi, I hopefully will get some good mileage out of them. I run 55 - 70 mph, but usually right around 66 as that's where the motor likes it best.
RVUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
KenBob

If we didn't have tire problems very early in each of our previous RVs, I would defend Carlisle tires. However, since that was not the case, our latest rigs have had the tires replaced before their maiden voyages. I should have requested the selling dealer replace the tires as part of the deal. But I was able to choose the tires I would be comfortable with.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
matthewc45

Carlisle will stand behind there tire just went throgh all of the RMA crap with two of the tires that blow out on my camper and with in a week found out that Carlisle is going to send me a check for the two tires. I just wish I would have keep the first blow out.
matthewc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
CincyGus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffbrew View Post
Under inflation is a huge problem, I RV with 8 other families on a reg basis, they are all in the same negative boat about Carlisle but 3 of them have had blow outs; Goodyear and Mich tires. I ALWAYS check tire pressure whenever my trailer gets connected to truck, not everyone in my group does, esp the 3! Carlisle is a trailer tire so I go with that. Every mfg has production problems at one time or another period and when they do.... People like to bash. Check tire pressure often and don't drive 65+ mph. My magic speed is 58.
I take the following steps to avoid problems:

1) Check tire pressure before leaving on any trip (both from home and the campground) and adjust as needed at first gas station if not at home.
2) Check tires for cracking, bulging, peeling or any other visual sign there is a problem as I check each tires air pressure each trip.
3) Drive a reasonable speed (60-65mph).
4) Don't abuse them. Park on drained ground, keep them covered when in storage to prevent UV damage.

I've used Carlisle for extended periods of time over the years and not had issues with them because I take extra steps to take care of them. I've used other brands without issue also so I think my good luck has been more about my preventative care than anything else. Clearly others have had bad experiences with Carlisle so weigh my opinion lightly. Point is, take care of whatever you buy and you likely will be rewarded with few issues.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
allentx1

I can vouch for the others that say check tire pressure AND do NOT drive over 65mph. I had 2 trailers with TowMaxx tires for over two years with plenty of miles on them. Didn't realize it until I had a blowout but those are all short trips where the speed limit is 60 mph. Once I got out on the interstate and a 75 mph limit, I blew one. I am certain it was speed, not air pressure. But now I drive no higher than 65 and just returned from 700 miles to the coast and not a single issue or hint of ana issue.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #17
sbmarks3

Carlisle Tires

I am worried now about my tires. I bought my Fuzion 403 in September, took off on a trip from GA to MA, had a blowout and decided to replace all 6 as there were signs of dry rot on the side walls. I ended up putting on Carlisle Radial Trail RH, ST235/80R16 3520LBS @85psi cold. The original tires (that blewout) were Ultra CRT, Radial Trail ST235/80R16 3420LBS @80psi cold. 100 LB more capacity per tire, 600 LBS over all. I only have 2400 miles on them so far with no trouble. So Far So Good. Maybe they have turned things around with their quality. I hope. I will post if I have any trouble with them. I know this is a very old thread.

2012 F-350 Super Duty King Ranch 6.7 diesel
B&W Roll Over Hitch
2009 Fuzion 403 Toy Hauler 5th wheel
1969 Harley Electraglide (Mine)
2005 Harley Lowrider (The Wife's)
sbmarks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
Martydonna

Had them on my TT and they lasted almost 7 years. Great tire.
Martydonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #19
Chinomax

I used to think the same thing before talking to my tire guy at Discount. Of all of the trailer tires they sell the only ones not to fail are the new Carlisle Radial Trail RH. That's what I'm buying whan I need them. Chino
Chinomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #20
CWtheMan

About Carlisle tires.

http://www.carlisletransportationpro..._Practices.pdf

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote