Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #21
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Like many of you my fiver came with towmax tires. When pulling I usually do not go over 65mph except a few instances of long downgrades where I'll coast up to 72mph. On interstates with long gradual curves & bends I make sure to keep my speed at or under 65mph.

Since I'm new to this tire game on trailers I have a few questions...
Noticed many use a point n' shoot infrared thermometer. Where exactly on the tire do you take temp readings? The sidewall, tread? Most importantly what temp reading is considered hot or too hot?

Secondly, for Interstate driving what tire pressure should I be running? My tires have 65psi stamped on the tire. To be safe should I always ensure they're inflated to 65psi at cold? Tires are ST225/75R15, 3 yrs old according to DOT date stamp and still look new. I have less than 3000 miles on them.
there are lots of thoughts on tire pressure. for cars/trucks etc. tire pressure usually matches the load on the tire based on vehicle weights, and seldom is normally the max pressure listed on the sidewall.

My trailer lists the tire pressure at 65lbs which is what I do and is also the tire max pressure. this is consistent with many ST trailer tire manufacturers recomendations as well, run them at max pressure. At 65psi the tire is capable of carrying way more load than it needs to in my case.

Some folks run tire pressure based on tire load. Personally I'll follow the mfg and trailer recomendation and run them at max pressure. In my case, based on tire load, that would mean going from 65pis to about 45psi.

Most mfg claim that they are desgned to be run at max psi and is the way to get max life from the tire, and makes sure that in turns etc. the sidewall doesn't come off the bead. I've also been lucky in that in close to 30K miles doing this tires have worn evenly, never had a flat or blowout even with the china bombs. Once my towmax are worn out, I'll replace them with Maxxis. looks like they will be good for 15-20K miles.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
zman

Thanks for the great advice!
United States Navy Combat Veteran
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
Carlosmodesto

We have Towmaxx Powerking 235/80/16E on our Toyhauler. Tires were manufactured on the 33rd week of 2008. No issues yet. Before that, we had Missions on our previous Cougar Toyhauler without incidents. I hope I don't have to post otherwise, lol.
Turbo Diesel 6.7
06 Yamaha Midnight Silverado 1700
07 Yamaha Classic 650
Carlosmodesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #24
chivas

Well you are not going to believe this. I have a 2012 Alpine and was reading this thread last week. I looked at my tires and they were Towmax. Went camping this weekend and decided on the way home to get a set of Maxxis. About 20 miles after that decision. BAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes a blowout and did about 2K worth of damage. I am the original owner (11 months), not overloaded (just weighed it last week), run tires at 75 psig.

What is funny is I just got the rim (that cracked) replaced by Keystone.
chivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #25
smiller

Yep, I tossed the Towmax and am not looking back (although I have to note that there seem to be fewer problems with these than other Chinese tires... but 'fewer' isn't good enough.) FWIW I will say that there was a noticeable difference in construction when comparing the Towmax 235/80-16E and the Maxxis version side-by-side in that the Maxxis have clearly heavier sidewall construction.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
Well you are not going to believe this. I have a 2012 Alpine and was reading this thread last week. I looked at my tires and they were Towmax. Went camping this weekend and decided on the way home to get a set of Maxxis. About 20 miles after that decision. BAMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes a blowout and did about 2K worth of damage. I am the original owner (11 months), not overloaded (just weighed it last week), run tires at 75 psig.

Man, This has got be nervous. Im about to embark on a 300 mile trip. My towmax tires are 3 years old, and look ok. I am thinking Maxxi's for next year. I hope they make it through this trip.....

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #27
X-Treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post

Tires are supposed to be at 80psi. Also, speeds must NOT exceed 65mph. BUT, I'm starting to get worried about my towmax's as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #28
biglake

16 wheels on raptor 3612

Has anyone replaced the 15 inch wheels and tires with 16 wheels and tires on a 2007 Raptor 3612. Thanks Mark
biglake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #29
smiller

Take it from one (actually, many) who has been there. Replace any tire(s) that you have the slightest question about, period. Do not wait, do not try to stretch one more trip or one more season because that 'one more' is when you will lose a tire. If you do have an 'event' maybe it won't do a couple grand worth of damage but probably it will.

As far as I can tell the best bets are the Maxxis M8008 10-ply if you want to stay in an ST tire and the Michelin Ribs if you want an LT and don't mind the lower weight rating (or can rationalize that it's OK ) Both of these seem to have nearly nonexistent sudden failure reports. But even these should be replaced on a time or mileage basis regardless of their outward appearance. Personally I don't go beyond three years.

Some of the cost is 'insurance' but it is money well spent because... blowouts SUCK. If you have never had the experience then that is great and it is worth some expense to keep it that way, trust me.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #30
biglake

Wheels and tires

Smiller, I agree with you a hundred percent, I bought a raptor friday and didn,t even make it the 30 miles home had a blowout on 15 bct tire , I was wondering if 16 inch tires and wheels under a raptor 3612. Thanks for any info..Mark xxx-xxx-xxxx

Please use PMs to exchange phone numbers, not on open forum. Thanks, Hank
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #31
biglake

Wheels and tires

How much height clearence do I need between tires and top of fender. Thanks Mark
Old 07-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #32
azlee56

if you bought that RV from a dealer, I would be calling a dealer fast! If from a private party....then that just sucks.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #33
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Man, This has got be nervous. Im about to embark on a 300 mile trip. My towmax tires are 3 years old, and look ok. I am thinking Maxxi's for next year. I hope they make it through this trip.....
Well, I did it. I just ordered a set of Maxxis 10 ply Maxxis tires and will have them mounted, balanced and new HD valve stems in time for my trip next week. $800 well spent.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #34
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
Well, I did it. I just ordered a set of Maxxis 10 ply Maxxis tires and will have them mounted, balanced and new HD valve stems in time for my trip next week. $800 well spent.
It will be nice to not have the tire thing in the back of your mind. If you have a chance, compare the construction of both the Towmax and the Maxxis tire when unmounted. I think you might be surprised (and even more certain that your $800 was well-spent ).
Old 07-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #35
gatorrig

We had two Towmax tires replaced before going on a trip from Florida to Virginia. All tires were about a year old and had about 4-5k miles on them. Always parked in covered concrete pad storage. Tires were always inflated properly, and never ran over a curve. One tire separated, the other developd a big bubble. I was convinced those tires needed to be replaced, so I decided to wait until we got back to Florida. Just before getting into Virginia I pulled into a rest area, guess what, another Towmax was separating really bad. Pulled into Richmond, VA with my spare at a place called Mincz Tire, and replaced all Towmax with Maxxis tires. I guess my point is, do not take a chance with this tires, specially on a heavy 5th wheel or toy hauler. And as mentioned previously, construction on the Maxxis is obviously superior.
gatorrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #36
azlee56

question here. I don't know much about tires so be nice. When backing the RV into my yard on a board I noticed one tire seemed to give a bit more then the other as it rolled onto the board. I was on the cell phone directing him in and I said, I think you might look at this one tire when you have a chance. (he made sure the air was right before the trip). But that tire seemed to flatten more then the other one as he hit the board.

Now am I paranoid or this the way it is?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 AM   #37
SAABDOCTOR

HI THERE some food for thought on what you noticed. and i will be nice i promise.one side of you camper may weigh far more than the other that's 1.2 if the bf hit the boards and the trailer was not perfectly squared up so one side my have been a little contortted. but to help you fel better. run your hand over the sidewall of the tire inside and out and see if you feel any bubbles in the side wall. there will always be a slight wavyness to the side wall due to the construction process that is normal.then run your hand carefully over the tread. do you feel a scalloping? or twists in the tread? scalloping is form a balance issue or a slight bend int the axle. the twist is from ply seperation and that is bad. just be careful and go slow because if you run into ply seperation there is a chance the steel belt may be exposed and dam thea hurts when you stick your fingers. hope this will help you feel better about your tires. also when everi stop i walk around to all the tires and feel them for temp you can spend $$ on a temp gun but itrust my hand a bad tire will be to hot to the touch. agood one will be bearable and warm. your a race fan Dick Trickle used to set up his sprint car by feeling the tires with his hand and then make the chassis adjustments. i used to do it that way with my two go karts. my son and i were wka champs in the late 80's. have a great day! notice i let you wake up from your 1:30 am question ha ha barney
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #38
chivas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorrig View Post
We had two Towmax tires replaced before going on a trip from Florida to Virginia. All tires were about a year old and had about 4-5k miles on them. Always parked in covered concrete pad storage. Tires were always inflated properly, and never ran over a curve. One tire separated, the other developd a big bubble. I was convinced those tires needed to be replaced, so I decided to wait until we got back to Florida. Just before getting into Virginia I pulled into a rest area, guess what, another Towmax was separating really bad. Pulled into Richmond, VA with my spare at a place called Mincz Tire, and replaced all Towmax with Maxxis tires. I guess my point is, do not take a chance with this tires, specially on a heavy 5th wheel or toy hauler. And as mentioned previously, construction on the Maxxis is obviously superior.
Just replace my Towmax with Maxxis this weekend and added metal valve stems and a tire pressure monitoring system due to a blowout that cause 2K worth of damage. When they were changing the Towmax look what was waiting for me. A golf ball size bubble on the inside of the tire. Do not know how I missed that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bubble.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1518  
chivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #39
SAABDOCTOR

AZLEE IF You look at the picture on chivas' post you would find that quockly when you rub your hand ove the tire like i said. if you get one of those it i time right then to replace the tire! great picture mr c.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #40
azlee56

thanks! Yes that side is heavier with 3 slideouts on it. I just thought it was strange the back tire on that side didn't do it and the other tire did it. Maybe it hit the board different. I will do as you suggested and see what I feel. I should be doing it too, it really isn't just up to one person to keep this stuff safe is it?

Another racing person, yeah!!! I might need to read up on scalloping, not quite sure what that is, but I am sure the internet has a ton on it. Thanks for being nice ...(big smile).