Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2012, 03:08 AM   #21
mguay

I have almost 15k on my TowMax's. I have had the alignment checked. I check the pressures everytime I leave and adjust to max pressure and rotate them every time I change the oil in the TV. I too was reading posts that scared me....then I priced a set of new rubber to soothe my thoughts! I then came to the conclusion that when the first one blows...my insurance will pick up the tab on the damage and I will replace all 4 of the tires.
When I bought the rig....I bought the tires! I think if you take care of what you have....it should last.....I hope! (fingers crossed)
Old 05-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

You might consider that when you have the first blowout and your insurance "picks up the tab" that your part, the deductible, will most likely be the price of a set of tires. And, you'll still be facing buying those tires with the deductible already paid for damage caused by the blowout....

Somehow, it seems "You never win" <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #23
Exsailor

who besides me has some really nasty pictures of the damage a blown tire can do? we need to upload those... not for those with a weak stomach but it will really make you appreciate those tires.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Exsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #24
mguay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You might consider that when you have the first blowout and your insurance "picks up the tab" that your part, the deductible, will most likely be the price of a set of tires. And, you'll still be facing buying those tires with the deductible already paid for damage caused by the blowout....

My deductible is only 10% of the cost of a new set of rubber.

Oh yeah the other thing I forgot to add is I'm the guy running 70 with his 65mph rated, got his moneys worth set of china bombs!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #25
SamG

Tire Confused

I have a 2011 Keystone Raptor Triple Slider 3812 model 5th wheel. The tires are Towmax and after a blowout last week along I75(S) I have spent days reading about tires because I must make a decision to keep what I have or replace them. I am inclined to replace them. Keystone directed me to the wheel mfr Tredit. Tredit was very good about educating me on searching for the weight capacity of my wheels which are size 16. Max weight is 3,580lbs. Weight limitations of the axles are 7,000 lbs. Size tire 235/80R16E.
Seems like there are limited choices out there for this size replacement. Either Towmax max load 3,520, GY Marathon max load 3,420 or the LT235/85/R26E Michelin XPS rib max load 3,042. GVWR for the RV is 18,000lbs. My GVW is 13,020. I have not weighed my individual axles and need to that. I would like to get the Michelin’s XPS but the max load of 3,042 is 538lbs less than the max of the wheel. Why would you want to reduce your capability even if your load was less than the 3,042? Seems to me I have 3 choices: keep the towmax, go w/GY Marathon or look at buying different wheels. Would appreciate any and all advice. tks.
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #26
KenBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
I have a 2011 Keystone Raptor Triple Slider 3812 model 5th wheel. The tires are Towmax and after a blowout last week along I75(S) I have spent days reading about tires because I must make a decision to keep what I have or replace them. I am inclined to replace them. Keystone directed me to the wheel mfr Tredit. Tredit was very good about educating me on searching for the weight capacity of my wheels which are size 16. Max weight is 3,580lbs. Weight limitations of the axles are 7,000 lbs. Size tire 235/80R16E.
Seems like there are limited choices out there for this size replacement. Either Towmax max load 3,520, GY Marathon max load 3,420 or the LT235/85/R26E Michelin XPS rib max load 3,042. GVWR for the RV is 18,000lbs. My GVW is 13,020. I have not weighed my individual axles and need to that. I would like to get the Michelin’s XPS but the max load of 3,042 is 538lbs less than the max of the wheel. Why would you want to reduce your capability even if your load was less than the 3,042? Seems to me I have 3 choices: keep the towmax, go w/GY Marathon or look at buying different wheels. Would appreciate any and all advice. tks.
We took off the 235/80R16 Carlisles from our Fuzion and put GoodYear G114, 17.5" tires and new wheels on. They are load range H and are the same diameter as the carlisles. The initial cost is why some do not choose this option. I believe we went with the option most likely to decrease the odds of having a tire failure. Peace of mind was also a factor.

The attached photo has the new goodyear G114 17.5" tire/wheel on right. Center and left are the oe wheels and carlisle tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17.5 wheels3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1491  
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #27
chivas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

Believe me. I have had a 2012 Alpine for 11 months and found this thread about a week ago. I went camping this last weekend and on the way home I decided to buy a set of Maxxis. About 20 miles later, BAMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

That's right a blow out and 2K worth of damage. I am not overloaded (just weighed last week) and run tires at 76psi. So now I have 1100.00 for 5 Maxxis tires and 1,000.00 for the deductible.

chivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #28
SAABDOCTOR

GO With the best tires you can afford!! most people can't put a price on saftey and some don't care. i have usa made goodyears when there time is up i will go the rim and better tire route. all ready started the feed the pig jar for that investment! my preferance is michelin. it is what is on my tv but that is my opinon. and you will get lots of others.and the best part is no one is right or wrong but on this thread there appears to be an issue with brand.good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #29
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
Believe me. I have had a 2012 Alpine for 11 months and found this thread about a week ago. I went camping this last weekend and on the way home I decided to buy a set of Maxxis. About 20 miles later, BAMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

That's right a blow out and 2K worth of damage. I am not overloaded (just weighed last week) and run tires at 76psi. So now I have 1100.00 for 5 Maxxis tires and 1,000.00 for the deductible.

Just food for thought:

I’m just going to guess here because the correct figures can only be found on your trailers certification label. I suspect your certification label lists your GAWR at 6750#. 16” LRE Maxxis tires have a maximum load capacity of 3420# at 80 psi. At 76 psi they would support 3270#. That figure is below the minimum standard for 6750# axles.

Not all ST235/80R16E tires are equal in load capacity. They currently have a range from 3420# to 3520#.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #30
chivas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Just food for thought:

I’m just going to guess here because the correct figures can only be found on your trailers certification label. I suspect your certification label lists your GAWR at 6750#. 16” LRE Maxxis tires have a maximum load capacity of 3420# at 80 psi. At 76 psi they would support 3270#. That figure is below the minimum standard for 6750# axles.

Not all ST235/80R16E tires are equal in load capacity. They currently have a range from 3420# to 3520#.

CW
The TowMax tires were rated at 3520 at 80psig. I weighed my axles while hooked up to the truck and they were 11,300. Gross weight is 14,140. Max Gross Weight (From Keystone) 15,500. I have Dexter 7000# axles............................................. ..................?????
chivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #31
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivas View Post
The TowMax tires were rated at 3520 at 80psig. I weighed my axles while hooked up to the truck and they were 11,300. Gross weight is 14,140. Max Gross Weight (From Keystone) 15,500. I have Dexter 7000# axles............................................. ..................?????
I already knew your trailer has 7000# axles because I looked up the specs from the information in your profile. I just didn’t know what Keystone used on the certification label. If your certification label actually depicts the GAWR as 7000# per axle, Keystone had to provide the DOT with a letter certifying the use of ST235/80R16E tires rated at 3520# because that size ST tire has a load capacity range below the 7000# axle minimum requirement. Which you have already done with the Maxxis tires. Legally you have voided any warranty claims against Maxxis by using their tires on axles above their load capacity. See where I’m coming from? Regardless of the actual weight of the trailer the minimum value of the regulation must be met. Keystone knows that and that’s why I suspected your certification label might have depicted a GAWR around 6750# ea.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote