Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
dave-g

Assateague's Wild Horses

Looking to go see Assateague's Wild Horses this summer. Looking for some recommendations on campgrounds.

I have a 35ft 5th wheel. It will be the summer so electric is a must. I would prefer full hook up.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
jq1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
Looking to go see Assateague's Wild Horses this summer. Looking for some recommendations on campgrounds.

I have a 35ft 5th wheel. It will be the summer so electric is a must. I would prefer full hook up.
I believe it was Trailer Life Magazine that ran an article on that a few months back. You can research back issues online & find out what they suggested regarding RV parks in the area.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
mhs4771

Are you looking for the Round-up or to just enjoy the Sea Shore and see the horses in the wild. We've stayed at Frontier Town several times, not to bad, their Sister park Fort Whaley is a little farther away but a little more reasonable. Short drive to the Park, get a 7 day pass for a very reasonable price and you're good for a week.
For the Round-up you would be better coming from the Virginia end, but we were told the best place to see the round-up is from a boat when the horses swim across the bay to the holding area.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

We haven't been there in years but I agree Frontier Town was pretty nice and the kids loved it. Avoid Eagle's Nest if your looking for a "Family" campground ..... we payed for three, stayed one and didn't even care that we didn't get a refund. It was that bad. (To us anyway)
The horses were beautiful to see but be prepared to be introduced to the evil "GREEN HEAD FLY". Just noticed your from Forked River, so the green heads may not be that much of a surprise to you but still worse than we get in South Jersey.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Movin' on

You can check out Maddox Family Campground on Chincoteague Island, Va. We haven't camped there (only because we haven't been to the island since we started RV'ing), but it is a nice area and close to the southern end of Assateague.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
mhs4771

Hank, Eagles Nest is no more. It's been bought out and being turned into a really upscale rv resort. They now is have a very exclusive area with it's own pool and prices to match. I forget the name it goes by now, but a far cry from what it was when it looked like you were entering a junk yard.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
har29

Wink

Dave-g,

You may try pinegrovecampground, they have full hook-ups and are on Chincoteague Island.
Also, a very nice campground is Tallpinesharbor, they are only maybe 15-20 min. from Chincoteague. They are on the Bay side. However you should stay clear of Maddox, Tom' Cove, they are older and can be very cramped and they won't guaranty full hookups and you have to send a check ahead of time. Especially stay away from Inlet View campground at all cost......
We never camped at Pine Grove, sites look okay from the road.
Tall Pines Harbor is very nice and quiet and clean. Also, take plenty of mosquito spray. If you golf go to Captain's Cove, great very challanging 9-hole. Only minutes away on the mainland. The first 3 holes are over water...
Great restaurant.
Have fun. TAKE MOSQUITO SPRAY......
har29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
cumminsdad08

we stayed in paridise island last year, in fenwick island. it is only 5 mins from OC maryland, and maybe 30-45 min from the horses. they are mostly perment sites with maybe 20 or so transit sites. they were freindly and clean. they also have 3 pools, two large and one baby pool. spots we were in were plenty large enough, with a concrete pad. we usually use the pad as our "patio" tho, so the kids have a littlemore running room. it is right in the bay, so there is plenty of crabing and fishing to do.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #9
dave-g

I love this SITE! Great info thanks!
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 02-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
mike9661

Dave
We stayed at MD State park last Sept. no electric but not a problem took a small generator for when we needed it. It was great the horses were under the awning in the morning and my grandson thought it was great. We also stayed at Frontier Town and Maddox in Va. The best place for us was the State park we are going back for 4 days the first of Sept.
Mike

2011 Cougar 318SAB
2011 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax
16K Superglide
mike9661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
mhs4771

I think the State Park has one section with electric, but it's booked about a year ahead and sites reserved as soon as they become avail.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
blackty

The "upscale" park is Castaways. Stayed there a few times. Avoid the far end by the treeline. Mosquitoes suck, really. They did spray behind us, we were right by the jet ski rental at the bay. Nice laundry facility. They do have an exclusive area, don't waste your money. Short drive to the horses. Where we were, you could walk out of the camper and see the horses across the bay...Jim
blackty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
CampDestinations.com

As mentioned, the old Eagles Nest is now Castaways. Nice campground, but it is pricey. Frontier Town is also on Rt 611, but a few miles closer to Assateague. Castaways also has a beach where FT has boat docking. If you like camping under trees, you are more likely to get a treed spot at Frontier town than Castaways. Pull-throughs are limited at Castaways and AFAIK non-existant at FT. Both places are good bets and you'll enjoy either.

http://castawaysrvoc.com/
http://www.frontiertown.com/
Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
The Sod Father

I just wrote an article for Pop Up Times magazine on Assateague. My article focused primarily on the island and the two parks (federal and state). As Michelle said, the State Park has one loop with 50A service but it books up a year in advance. If you can get to Reserve America at midnight 364 days prior to your departure date, you may be able to find something. It always pays to check on a regular basis as cancellations happen from time to time.

As someone who has camped at Assateague State Park a half dozen times, I will tell you that the cool ocean breeze keeps your rig pretty cool all day long. The vast majority of the time, the breeze comes from the ocean.

The mosquitoes are legendary at Assateague. I have found that the best time to go is the month of June. The skeeters get particularly carnivorous in early July and stay that way till September.

If you have to have utilities, Frontier Town seems to be the way to go. Send me a PM if you have questions.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 AM   #15
dave-g

We we got a site in MD state park! Booked for the summer I got one of the last sites- I can not believe how fast they fill up.

Even Castaway was pretty full. All water front sites were gone.

I'm on the ocean side with no hook ups- so we will bring the nice quite honda generator- I'm hoping the nice ocean breeze keeps us cool for a few days.

Has any one gotten a beach pass for their truck, to get on the beach??

2nd half of the trip we are heading to Williamsburg, VA. Looking at the koa there. Any advice on that would be great.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
Old 01-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #16
mike9661

We have reservations for the end of August around Labor Day. Last year it was very HOT and sleeping was a little rough a few nights. We will be in B Loop at the entrance to the beach look me up, can't miss me just look for the pirate flag.
Mike

2011 Cougar 318SAB
2011 Silverado HD 2500 Duramax
16K Superglide
mike9661 is offline   Reply With Quote