Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
f350chief

Adding Second Air Conditioner

I am adding a second a/c unit to my Laredo fifth wheel. I have chosen a coleman 13500 btu. The installation instructions states that the front of the a/c unit needs to be level or above level upon installation or a shim needs to be used. My problem is I have never seen an a/c unit installed on the front of a fifth wheel that was level. The front always appears to be below level. Here is the question. Do you think it will do harm to the unit if I mount it in the same plane as the top of the fifth wheel? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
f350chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Johnnyfry

AC level

The issue here is not that you will damage the AC unit by being off level (unlike the RV refrigerator) but that the condensate from the evaporator might not drain properly. Obviously you don't want the condensate water dripping down into your living room.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
DocData757

I'd call the manufacturer with the question. My front AC, as you pointed out, is ever so slightly let in the front than the back of the unit and I have no problems.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

YOU WILL WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT THE UNIT DRAINS CORRECTLY. IF IT IS TIPPED THE WRONG WAY THE WATER/ CONDENSATION FROM THE EVAPORATOR WILL LEAK IN NOT OUT AND THE DW WILL PUT YOU IN THE DOG HOUSE.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
f350chief

Finally got a response from the factory about the angle that the a/c can be mounted. They said the front of the unit can be 15 degrees above or below the back of the unit. If the front of the nose is down there are three 1/2 indentations in the base of the unit that will need to be drilled out to allow for proper drainage.
f350chief is offline   Reply With Quote