Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
Dan Lockwood

Got To Give Thumbs Up To My New Ford F-350!

I've just finished my second hauling trip with our new '21 Ford F-350 KR DRW Diesel. WOW!

We just got back from a haul to central MI, Mt Pleasant to be exact. My home town is Farwell. Dad graduated in Farwell in '32 and mom in Clare in '32. Lived in Midland for around 15 years. So Mt Pleasant is a good in between location to see friends/relative etc. We've stayed at the Soaring Eagle Hideaway RV Park now 3 times for a total so far of 8 weeks. We have reserves for a month in September and into October. Great place. All blacktop roads and concrete pads. Lot sizes may be a bit tight, but larger than others we've stayed at.

Back to this awesome new truck. A disclaimer! I'm sure "new" GM's and RAM's do a great job too, but compared to my previous '12 RAM DRW, that I thought did a good job, is ridiculous.

Got 9.5 mpg on the way home, but I was pushing it hard as we got out an hour later than I had hoped. It just takes me forever to tear down and get the Harleys loaded up. Clean out the garage of all living "stuff", roll up carpets etc, move mini fridge and get in the bikes. Rinse out the sewer hoses many times, anal that way I guess...

Okay, back to the truck.

I was running 70 + all the way home other than construction zones. Up hills were no issues, barely downshifted on them. I can easily hit 70 mph on entrance ramps to merge into traffic that I could NOT do before. I had a long row of truckers going up hill that I had to pass before another row of fast moving cars caught up to me. I passed up hill without ever hitting down hard and was gaining speed all the time, just awesome!

I know, I shouldn't be driving that fast, and I normally don't... I do have recent new Sailun's and all new wheel bearings, so I felt quite confident of the reliability of my RV to handle the speed. There is no sway with this truck and with the addition last year of the MorRyde pin box, it hauls very smoothly. I had Airlifts on my RAM, but nothing on the Ford. When I load up the toy hauler and sit it down on the hitch, it drops a bit, but just to the point of barely touching the overload spring pads. So stopped at a gas station the overloads are NOT touching. The truck sits level and I'm quite happy with that.

The seat massage is also great when you have a 10 hour drive. Keeps you from having to squirm from side to side to move your butt around. The cooled seat part does not work quite a good as I thought they should, but they do cool.

Around town at home I get high 16's and on long unloaded trips, 300 to 400 miles, the lie-o-meter says mid 19's. After driving a long empty day I filled up when we got home and the est range was over 900 miles!!! Doubt I would have ever seen that in actual miles, but it was interesting to see none the less.

Again, I'm NOT brand bashing here, just saying how much we like the new Ford. I am truly a GM guy, been all my life and my dad before me, but we're very happy and hope to have this many years, with or without a RV to pull. My wife just LOVES driving this thing as she likes to be high over the road.

Sorry for rambling on and on, but with all the negatives around here, just thought I would say how happy we are with the new Ford.
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s great news, those new truck are beasts, all of them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:53 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
I've just finished my second hauling trip with our new '21 Ford F-350 KR DRW Diesel. WOW!

We just got back from a haul to central MI, Mt Pleasant to be exact. My home town is Farwell. Dad graduated in Farwell in '32 and mom in Clare in '32. Lived in Midland for around 15 years. So Mt Pleasant is a good in between location to see friends/relative etc. We've stayed at the Soaring Eagle Hideaway RV Park now 3 times for a total so far of 8 weeks. We have reserves for a month in September and into October. Great place. All blacktop roads and concrete pads. Lot sizes may be a bit tight, but larger than others we've stayed at.

Back to this awesome new truck. A disclaimer! I'm sure "new" GM's and RAM's do a great job too, but compared to my previous '12 RAM DRW, that I thought did a good job, is ridiculous.

Got 9.5 mpg on the way home, but I was pushing it hard as we got out an hour later than I had hoped. It just takes me forever to tear down and get the Harleys loaded up. Clean out the garage of all living "stuff", roll up carpets etc, move mini fridge and get in the bikes. Rinse out the sewer hoses many times, anal that way I guess...

Okay, back to the truck.

I was running 70 + all the way home other than construction zones. Up hills were no issues, barely downshifted on them. I can easily hit 70 mph on entrance ramps to merge into traffic that I could NOT do before. I had a long row of truckers going up hill that I had to pass before another row of fast moving cars caught up to me. I passed up hill without ever hitting down hard and was gaining speed all the time, just awesome!

I know, I shouldn't be driving that fast, and I normally don't... I do have recent new Sailun's and all new wheel bearings, so I felt quite confident of the reliability of my RV to handle the speed. There is no sway with this truck and with the addition last year of the MorRyde pin box, it hauls very smoothly. I had Airlifts on my RAM, but nothing on the Ford. When I load up the toy hauler and sit it down on the hitch, it drops a bit, but just to the point of barely touching the overload spring pads. So stopped at a gas station the overloads are NOT touching. The truck sits level and I'm quite happy with that.

The seat massage is also great when you have a 10 hour drive. Keeps you from having to squirm from side to side to move your butt around. The cooled seat part does not work quite a good as I thought they should, but they do cool.

Around town at home I get high 16's and on long unloaded trips, 300 to 400 miles, the lie-o-meter says mid 19's. After driving a long empty day I filled up when we got home and the est range was over 900 miles!!! Doubt I would have ever seen that in actual miles, but it was interesting to see none the less.

Again, I'm NOT brand bashing here, just saying how much we like the new Ford. I am truly a GM guy, been all my life and my dad before me, but we're very happy and hope to have this many years, with or without a RV to pull. My wife just LOVES driving this thing as she likes to be high over the road.

Sorry for rambling on and on, but with all the negatives around here, just thought I would say how happy we are with the new Ford.
Congratulations on the truck!
I’ve had heated/cooled seats in last couple trucks…hard to live without them now,especially the cooled seats
Old 07-07-2021, 06:29 PM   #4
Gegrad

Awesome, good to hear you enjoy the new truck and it performs well. Nothing at all wrong with running 70 mph if your truck can handle it, your RV tires are speed rated for it, and the weather is good for it.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:46 PM   #5
Getn off

Congrats!
I upgraded my 2018 F350 drw 6.7 Lariat for a 21 drw Platinum last week. Couldn’t pass up the trade in at what I paid new 3 years ago. I thought the 18 was a beast. I guess since Dodge hit 1000 tq, Ford just had to get 1050 TQ out of that 6.7! Really can feel the diff of the added tq and the 10 speed vs the older one.
Yes, the massaging seats are incredible on a long drive.
Good choice.
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #6
Vinnie

Since upgrading to the DRW myself, I'm really happy with it. Handles a bit rougher than it's SRW brother, especially unloaded, but what a champ when it's got a heavy 5er squatting it down. My first trip, I was a little concerned when I heard what sounded like a secondary cooling fan come on when trying to gain some ground, going a bit uphill. Felt like it had less power, and was super loud in the cab. Eventually, that stopped, and back to normal cruising. Happened several times after, and I kinda got used to it, and just didn't push too hard when that loud fan was active. Did you also encounter this with your speed run past the truckers?
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:58 PM   #7
Dan Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Since upgrading to the DRW myself, I'm really happy with it. Handles a bit rougher than it's SRW brother, especially unloaded, but what a champ when it's got a heavy 5er squatting it down. My first trip, I was a little concerned when I heard what sounded like a secondary cooling fan come on when trying to gain some ground, going a bit uphill. Felt like it had less power, and was super loud in the cab. Eventually, that stopped, and back to normal cruising. Happened several times after, and I kinda got used to it, and just didn't push too hard when that loud fan was active. Did you also encounter this with your speed run past the truckers?
No, not while on the freeway, but around town I do when it gets hot outside. I think it's the cooling fan on the motor kicking in. I told the wife we sound just like a big rig taking off...
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:06 AM   #8
notanlines

Dan, I didn't see any brand bashing in your post. As Chuckster said, they are all beasts. Glad you're enjoying it!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford