Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #1
Richjt

Exclamation Dometic Fridge over heating

Hi, I'm fairly new to this stuff but recently or Dometic DMR702 would not work properly. The Freezer would get cold and freeze, but the fridge part did nothing. We tried changing it from electric to Propane, form high to low then medium, all with the same result. My wife had been trying to start it while I was at work and when I came home I noticed a brown streak across the front white inside of the Freezer. I noticed that it had transferred also to the door. When I touched it, it was extremely hot.
We turned off the whole unit and used a larger ice chest for the weekend. I have tried to contact Keystone regarding the situation but have yet to receive a reply. Service people wanted $250 just to come look at it and one on the phone just said, "it's gone, you need a new fridge."
Has anyone had this happen?
What did you end up doing?
The trailer is only 5 years old, I didn't expect this already.
I would appreciate any help that you may have from dealing with this type of issue.
Richjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

It does sound like the cooling unit has hit the trail. Take the lower access panel off and make sure you DON’T see any yellow powder. If you do, leave it alone you need a new cooling unit.

If you don’t, then turn it on (either will do) and wait about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, CAREFULLY feel the chimney and make sure it’s hot. Then move over and feel the coils and lower tank. If the top of the coils are hot and the bottom tank isn’t warm you probably have a blockage. You may get lucky by tapping the coils with a rubber mallet, but I’m leaning towards a failed unit.

You can get rebuilt units for less than the cost of the fridge, or you might consider changing to a compressor style cooling unit if these people have one that fits your model.

https://jc-refrigeration.com/

They make high quality products, we have installed 2 so far and have had stellar results.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, fridge, heat