Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #1
JBWardFamily

Access to floor from underneath

Hi all. If I remove the chloroplast sheeting from the underside of the rig, can I access the flooring material from underneath or is there something else in the way like a subfloor?
JBWardFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your only obstacles will be wiring, duct work and holding tanks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe your trailer is a Cougar XLite ??? If so, the floor is a "3 layer sandwich" floor. Depending on what part of the floor structure, you may be able to access it from underneath...

Essentially, starting on top, you have a layer of vinyl or carpet, under that is a 1/4 or 3/8" OSB decking. Under that is 2" of styrofoam and under that is a 1/8" luan sheet. That structure rests on the trailer chassis rails, the outriggers and the center "floor joists" which run parallel to the chassis rails. Under all of that is holding tanks, heat ducting runs, electrical wiring, plumbing runs and "an ungodly amount of trash and sawdust"...

So, be warned, that depending on what you're trying to do, "going in from underneath" may get you where you want to go or it may be wasted time...

What are you trying to achieve ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #4
JBWardFamily

Great info. I have a couple soft spots in the floor I need to tackle before putting the rig on the market. Doesn't feel right selling it before. I was hoping to be able to fix from underneath but that doesn't seem feasible. I'm just hoping I can do it without damaging the vinyl. Hopefully it won't be too bad.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:55 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There are a couple of good threads complete with photos that have been posted by members who were "repairing soft spots" in their "sandwich flooring".

One is located here: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=floor+repair

You can click on the SEARCH button in the top bar of any forum webpage, type in "floor repair" and you'll get a list (about 12 pages long) of threads on this forum that include that phrase. There are loads of information about floor repairs that might help you with your project.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #6
JBWardFamily

Thanks. So I'll just have to cut the edges of the vinyl and put trim down to hold it when I put it all back together? Never seen flooring that wasn't put down "after" the walls and sides.

Tags
floor