Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
NoobyCampers

2021 Bullet 243BHSWE Tank issues?

Hello Everyone!

First off I must disclose that this is our VERY FIRST travel trailer and this was our first time taking it out. I grew up with my family having an RV, and my Hubby got hooked on the idea of getting our own. We purchased our Bullet 243BHSWE back in April and we are pretty clueless as we are so new.

This will be lengthy as I try to explain so I apologize.

Upon picking up our Trailer from the dealership in May (de-winterized and checked for leaks and all of that fun stuff), the fresh water was full, grey 1/3 and black 1/3. We figured it was because of the tests they ran and planned to dump at the campsite anyway so it wasn’t a concern.

Now this past Sunday we arrived to the site and we hooked up to city water (yes we used a regulator) and then when we checked the water levels, black and gray were both registering as near full. We did not use any water at all before checking the levels.

At first I thought that maybe we got hooked up incorrectly so we checked the faucets and the water was coming through just fine. We figured it was a sensor failure and just continued on with our day.

The next morning, I was washing dishes when the sink was no longer draining. Gray water had backed into the sink. So we unhooked and went down to the dump area and emptied both gray and black so we could start fresh. Hubby mentioned that gray never really stopped. It had a big flush and then continued a slow trickle until he figured it was enough and plugged it back up. Back at the camp we put a bucket under the gray water and opened the valve really quick to see if it would trickle and more gushed out, nearly filling a 5 gallon bucket.

Back at the campsite it was then Gray E Black E Fresh 2/3.

We continued to monitor the levels throughout the day. By about 7pm black water was 1/3 and gray was full again. Each about 30 gallon tanks and 43 for fresh water. Back down to the dump we went to dump them again. This time when we emptied gray water, it was endless. It wasn’t even a trickle. It just kept coming.

Back at camp we discovered that now all 3 tanks were near empty.

I know there is a learning curve with this and trying to save water as much as possible but we don’t feel we used that much at all. And it certainly doesn’t explain why fresh water is draining out of our gray water tank or how the wastewater tanks went from 1/3 to full without any water usage. At least that is what we believe to be happening.

There have been no visible leaks inside or out.

Now onto an even more confusing issue.....

Water Heater By-pass and Winterize valves....

WHICH WAY IS REALLY OFF? ��

I know we cannot be the only ones that see those stickers and think “OFF” is when the switch is horizontal because the picture of it being horizontal is directly above “OFF”. But then is the lever pointing to “ON” ?

We thought that maybe the dealer left one of these switches in the wrong position. I thought they left Winterize in the ON position because it looked like by-pass was off. Our water heater was working just fine.

The technician that did our walk through told us that if one switch was on, the other had to be off. So either winterize is on, and bypass off OR bypass is on and winterize is off.

Although on videos I have been watching this has not been mentioned at all. Could one of those switches somehow be the culprit?

We have read reviews that the dealership service center is pretty shady, so i could see them setting some newbies up for some expensive work.
NoobyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I only have general tips about water.
I hate to guess, but I must ask. Where there no sewer drains at the site?
RVing is way different than home, my wife still must be told to turn the water off. She will be washing dishes and turn to talk to me and let the water run. Do not let it just run, use it turn it off and back on the moment you need it. Washing dishing takes maybe the most water, showers next. Take a Navy shower to save water. You might be surprised how much water you use. At home I am washing my hands many times a day. Bring baby wipes and save water.
Next the gauges are not really not good, they fail on most RVs. They are a guide, but its about it. When dumping the tanks wait til all water quit coming out that may take 10 minutes.
No water is needed in the fresh tank if your using the city water. Keep that tank empty until you know your going to use it. Maybe several weeks is all you want to store water in it. When using it you need the water pump on. Water pump off when on city water.
Electric use when not using shore power is another problem, but you did not ask about that. One battery alone will leave you without any power in a day or so.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:58 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. If you post a picture of the panel where the water hose connects and valves are located for bypass etc. it will help explain the correct settings. Water usage fills the gray water tank, period. If your water pump, or city water connection is supplying 3 gallons per minute then a 30 gal tank will empty and place 30 gallons of water in the gray water tank in 10 min. if you are doing dishes, washing hands, showering, etc.

So if doing dishes, or brushing your teeth, or washing your hands (especially kids) with the water constantly running you will empty the freshwater and fill the gray water tank rapidly.

Lastly, those "tank level indicators" are notoriously inaccurate. In time, you'll learn how to "sense" when the when tanks are getting full and when you need to get fresh water.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #4
TheSandman005

Same Question

I also am wondering what position these valves need to be in? I just did the walk thru and the tech told me to just try it either way and see what works…..I didn’t like that answer! Hopefully someone has had this same issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A1041FC-F40B-47E3-97F6-7A33625B6EB0.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	34173   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC59EBEB-5BCC-455F-94D4-CE5602620DEC.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	34174  
TheSandman005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags