Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #1
planesnut

5th Wheel jack blocks

Has anyone have experience with the Andersen Jack Blocks? I may be moving to a larger unit soon and exploring options, Thanks, here is the link: https://shop.andersenhitches.com/pro...ler-jack-block
Old 03-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

They are proud of them IMO. I use lynx levelers, a lot cheaper.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 04:40 PM   #3
jsb5717

Some use them and seem to like them. They appear to be a good idea, just too expensive for my taste. A few 2x12 blocks work just fine for us.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:36 AM   #4
RamminTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by planesnut View Post
Has anyone have experience with the Andersen Jack Blocks? I may be moving to a larger unit soon and exploring options, Thanks, here is the link: https://shop.andersenhitches.com/pro...ler-jack-block

I like them. I got a set off Amazon that someone must have returned and never took out of box. Picked up a set of six for $108.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:54 AM   #5
jasin1

I always thought it would make the fifth wheel less stable being up on plastic blocks..especially with all the talk of wind on the forum lately..and if you bumped the hitch while backing up to conect to tow vehicle you could potentially knock the fifth wheel off the plastic blocks...here is what I use I also carry two 5’ 2x10’s in case I need to back one side of the rv onto the long boards to level a little better..I carry a few 2x12 blocks also
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E90A0668-5BA0-489C-8DB4-3E6C3F48F0E1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	32648  
Old 03-25-2021, 04:00 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I always thought it would make the fifth wheel less stable being up on plastic blocks..especially with all the talk of wind on the forum lately..and if you bumped the hitch while backing up to conect to tow vehicle you could potentially knock the fifth wheel off the plastic blocks...here is what I use I also carry two 5’ 2x10’s in case I need to back one side of the rv onto the long boards to level a little better..I carry a few 2x12 blocks also
I’ve never had “sliding” issues as I use X chocks. First thing when arriving and last thing after hooking up. That’s what works for me,YMMV. Those pads are nice, I have installed them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:15 AM   #7
Javi

2X12X12 work just fine, I keep them in plastic milk crates... easy to keep track of and easy to load.. I usually carry one crate which is 8 boards but throw the other one in when I'm headed somewhere I've never been.. just in case
Old 03-25-2021, 08:09 AM   #8
travelin texans

I also use the Lynx Levelers. The DW is usually operating the jacks while I'm doing other stuff & she can handle the LLs, but not the heavy wooden blocks.
Those Anderson doodads are expensive, as are the Snap Pads. Storage for 6 of those Anderson buckets would appear to be an issues unless they stack together & even then 1 had 30 of the LLs in a milk crate that probably took up less space.

Edit; After reading the ad further stacking 2 of those 12" diameter buckets is 14" tall so stacking 6 would be 42" tall or 3 stacks 14" that wipes out a big gob of storage space & if fulltiming that space is premium.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #9
gearhead

I never have understood the desire to put blocks under the jack feet.
Maybe if at a very unlevel site but not routinely.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:22 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
To me it's very site specific. If it's out of level a few blocks will help with the geometry of the stabilizers. If the ground is soft then they will be helpful as well in dispersing the weight.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #11
jfk69

I bought a set of these for the front jacks. So far so good. A tick less capacity than the Andersen’s and less than half the price. I may pick up a second set for the rear levelers to try.

https://www.campingworld.com/camco-s...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I use them when parked on "NOT" concrete or asphalt or I need to block up the jack pad on uneven ground... otherwise nope.. Couple of the campgrounds we often stay in around home have narrow broken asphalt parking spots and almost always at least two out of the six jacks are on soil..
Old 03-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #13
travelin texans

If parking on soft ground with either the Camco or the Anderson with the hollow bottoms seems they would sink into the ground several inches making them a huge PITA to retrieve. If parking on solid level sites they wouldn't be necessary.
The only reason we used any type of blocking was the shorter the jacks were extended the less movement was felt, real or imagined.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:17 PM   #14
KimNTerry

RV Snap Pads and I have 2 bags of the lynx levelers.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If parking on soft ground with either the Camco or the Anderson with the hollow bottoms seems they would sink into the ground several inches making them a huge PITA to retrieve. If parking on solid level sites they wouldn't be necessary.
The only reason we used any type of blocking was the shorter the jacks were extended the less movement was felt, real or imagined.
On soft ground I use a 1' 2"X8" and stack the legos on top. Only made the misteak of making a lego mud mold one time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #16
jasin1

I also have the lynx levelers.. part of my MUST HAVE NOW accessories or I would not be able to go camping(or so I thought),I purchased on an early spending spree... they are nice and compact for storage and they snapped together to make a ramp when I had a blowout and couldn’t bring a jack because I had a diesel 2500 and was OVERWEIGHT...the auto level jack couldn’t lift high enough without one wheel already up on blocks
Old 04-01-2021, 08:34 AM   #17
RAC

Anderson jack blocks

I have used them on the front jacks for 2 years on my Sprinter 5th wheel and like them with some reservations. The rim of the buckets are thin and tend to sink in soft ground so I use pads under them. The magnets are strong and hold the weight of the blocks while lowering the jacks which makes positioning them easy, but the screw holding the magnet to the jack rusted thru, so I replaced all the screws with stainless ones. Another thing I like is that I don't have to pull the pin to lower the jack legs on level ground with the blocks because they have good clearance with the jacks retracted. I live in Michigan and I don't use them for winter storage, using wood blocks instead, in case they become brittle in the cold. With all that said, I recommend them, just replace the screws.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #18
apachewolf

No blocks here

Years ago I used to use a huge wooden block under my tongue jack and also the stabilizers. On a trip west we stopped in Gila Bend AZ We unhooked etc. and went into town to get a few things. Coming out of the store we had to wait for high winds to pass it took maybe 3-4 min but the wind was VERY strong. When we came back to the camper we came in from behind I noticed that it sat kinda funny . The stabilizers looked bent. Checking it closer I saw that the jack was off the wooden block. Than we knew what had happened. The wind had moved the trailer off the wooden block and that had lowered the trailer so that the stabilizers hit the ground and bent them. Since than I have never used that block of wood again It’s only 10-15 seconds more to lower the jack all the way. There has been placed we been where they demand that we use something under the jack and the stabilizers. For these times we have a stack of ¾” boards soaked in oil for preservation and that is all that I will put under my jack and stabilizers.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #19
michaelrc51

5th Wheel jack blocks

I have them. There was a noticeable difference between using them and just using the jacks, I’m guessing the design creates more stability.
They do take up a bit of room, but IMO it’s well worth it.

Something else to think about.....they keep you from possibly over extending a hydraulic leveling piston.

I also keep a few pieces of 2”x10”x24” with us in case of any added height or something.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:23 PM   #20
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachewolf View Post
Years ago I used to use a huge wooden block under my tongue jack and also the stabilizers. On a trip west we stopped in Gila Bend AZ We unhooked etc. and went into town to get a few things. Coming out of the store we had to wait for high winds to pass it took maybe 3-4 min but the wind was VERY strong. When we came back to the camper we came in from behind I noticed that it sat kinda funny . The stabilizers looked bent. Checking it closer I saw that the jack was off the wooden block. Than we knew what had happened. The wind had moved the trailer off the wooden block and that had lowered the trailer so that the stabilizers hit the ground and bent them. Since than I have never used that block of wood again It’s only 10-15 seconds more to lower the jack all the way. There has been placed we been where they demand that we use something under the jack and the stabilizers. For these times we have a stack of ¾” boards soaked in oil for preservation and that is all that I will put under my jack and stabilizers.

Happy camping.

Interesting story.
The Andersen units have a lip on them that doesn’t allow the leveling legs to come off of them once they’re on the ground.

Tags
5th wheel