Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
flybouy
Site Team

My Camping World and PayPal experience

I'll apologize for the length up front. I don't know how to tell this any other way:

Let me start by saying I rarely buy from CW because in the past their shipping was expensive and typically I can buy the same thing at a lower price with free shipping elsewhere. Once in a while they will have a sale that makes it worthwhile. PayPal, I'll use to send money to family for Christmas or birthdays and occasional purchases online.

Back on 12/7/220 I received an email from CW announcing Good Sam members get an extra 20% discount on select items. Deal was good until 12/13. Recent threads on TPMS got me thinking of replacing our old Tire Minder system. I looked online and CW had the Tireminder Smart TPMS with signal booster and 4 sensors on sale. There was no stipulation that any other discounts could not be applied. With the GS discount, the price would be $265.34 , that's almost $90- off.

So I place it in the cart, apply the GS code, and the cost came up in the cart at $265.34. Beside this total ion the cart was the line "pay with Paypal 4 pay, 4 easy payments, one payment every 2 weeks without interest". I see the 4 pay deal and I think "ok, I don't really care, nor need to defer the payments but if PayPal wants to front the money why not". My thinking was I don't need this as the trailer in in storage, the last payment would be 1/22/21 so if ships then it would miss the Christmas shipping debacle and it would delay the sales date and extend the warranty by a little bit. OK, done deal in my mind. I click on "Buy", go to PP and pick the 4 pay.

Pay Pay sends me an email confirming the 4 pay dates and amounts. But I didn't get an email from CW that you typically get confirming the order. The next day I log onto CW and there's the item in the cart, same discounted price but now below the total it lists -$66.34 (the first payment amount in the PP email). I attempted to call CW to see why I didn't get a confirmation email. What a joke. Spent several hours calling, being placed on hold and getting disconnected. Thank you Covd for more poor service excuses.

So now I'm confused but still thinking CW advertised the PP option on their website, and they acknowledged the first payment. I still attempted to reach out to CW the next day again to no avail. Things happened (life goes on) and the next time I had the opportunity to check the item in the cart was priced back at the "regular" price. The -$66.34 deduction was no gone. WTH? So I log on to PP and my account does not list the transaction at all. WTH?

So a few days ago I spent the better part of 4 hrs getting someone from CW CS to answer the phone. Again, after being disconnect 3 times and finally getting someone to look into it I get a "sorry, you should talk to PayPal. Gee, why didn't I get a confirmation from CW? CW is promoting the PP deal so is it not PP who is contracted by CW for this? What happened to the communication? (there was absolutely none from CW). All I got was a "too bad for you bud". After discussing this further she put me on hold to "call a supervisor". She probably went to make another pot of coffee but whatever. About 4 min later she comes back and says there's nothing that can be done as now the item is listed with "this item does not qualify for any other sales or discounts". Lovely, have a nice day lady.

On to Paypal. Well, no phone numbers just a chat to communicate. Their chat isn't live either. You send a message, they send an email back in a day or so saying you have a message after they "get around to returning a reply". Wonderful. So after several days of this I receive a message from PayPal. They had my name incorrect (not misspelled but now even close), the merchant incorrect (they listed WalMart not CW) but they did the amount correct. They apologized for the "incorrect billing of $66.34 and would credit it back to my bank account. WOW, what service! Needless to say, I've canceled my account with PayPal.

After reflecting on this I called the "Speak with Marcus" number on CW website. A very pleasant young lady answered the phone (I assume young as she was out of breath when she answered the phone and I could clearly hear what sounded like a toddler in the background, Ain't Covid fun!?). She disconnected but did call me back when that happened. I explained my voyage to her and she said she would "take it to the team so that wouldn't happen again in the future". Well now THAT makes me feel better. So I guess that means that if I want this item it'll cost me an extra $90. Gee, they didn't ask me to "take one for the team". Lovely, have a nice day lady.

So, now CW will never see my business again right along with PP. Now I regret renewing my GS and it too shall be abandoned when it expires. Now I'm not naive I'm fully aware that they could care less less about my disappointment. The purpose of this exhaustive tome is to make others aware of what happened and the results of this failed transaction.

This was my experience and if you have had a positive experience that's great but this has turned me to abandon both retailers as I no longer have any trust in transacting with them again. Anyone can make a mistake, stuff happens, but the lack of even attempting to resolve the issue has left a vile impression on the two companies absence of any effective customer service.

YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
markcee

I know how you feel. I've had a couple go arounds with CW customer service myself and it never ends well.

On a positive note, I think you will really like the TM Smart TPMS...wherever you choose to buy it. I purchased it last season and its worked perfectly so far.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I know how you feel. I've had a couple go arounds with CW customer service myself and it never ends well.

On a positive note, I think you will really like the TM Smart TPMS...wherever you choose to buy it. I purchased it last season and its worked perfectly so far.
Thanks. I have an older model that still works fine. Small black and white screen. Never an issue with the signal dropping out but it is a bit of a PIA to initially set up. I was thinking of getting 2 extra sensors for the spartes but when I saw this deal I thought maybe an upgrade was in order. Oh well, I'll keep looking for a good off season deal and see what happens.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Although I have a Good Sam membership I renew every year, I have NEVER purchased anything from Camping World on-line. The nearest Camping World to where I live is over an hour drive one way so we don't go there very often.

But, keeping the membership has more than paid for the price of the membership many years in a row now by camping (Usually overnights when traveling), in Good Sam campgrounds. The discount saved pays for the membership cost after just a couple nights. So this is where our biggest savings come in.

About ordering on-line. I've been a member of Good Sam over 15 years and a forum member on their web site: RV.net. From day 1, on their forum web site, there has been constant complaints about customer service, purchasing over the phone, and with advances with the Internet, purchasing on-line. Complaints, disappointments, and sorrows, over and over. This is the reason why we purchase from them, ONLY in store, and that .... when we make our annual pilgrimage to Camping World.

FYI, I quit using RV.net some time ago because the forum members got so nasty and cruel, condescending, self-arrogant, and criticized everything everyone who had a question. I couldn't take it any more and this happened about the same time I became a member of the Montana Owner's Club. I'd been a member here for some time, being on my 3rd Keystone trailer now.

So, thank-you for your post. I'm sorry your experience turned ugly, but you have definitely confirmed to me how pathetic their processes still are. I'll never order anything on-line from them. I've never lost anything either that way.

Thanks again!

And oh ... on Edit:
When renewing our Good Sam membership, we never do it on-line either. We always do it inside their Camping World Store, in person there. Never had a problem doing it that way either.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #5
Customer1

Interesting read.

My thoughts:

Why pay interest to Paypal if you had the money? Seems silly.

Why rule out a vendor and a payment service because one transaction got screwed up? $h!t happens.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:31 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

As I stated, I know, long story, but I said there was no interest for the 4 pay. Now reading it again I see the "out" was missing, should have read without and not with. I've edited that to read correctly but that was the reason I also stated that "... but if PayPal wants to front the money why not..."

The only reason I chose the 4 pay was to delay the shipment until after Christmas in hopes of not having shipping issues. I also stated that I understand things go wrong and the reason not to patronize them again was because of how the handled their misteak, not that they made it in the first place.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Hope this isn't a hijack but neither eBay NOR PayPal any longer have customer service numbers. If you find what they call customer service numbers, it is an automated number eventually pointing you to company FAQs. I bought a Zero G RV water hose from a company with the eBay ID camperid (they are carid elsewhere) and they cancelled my order and told me the hose was out of stock. OK. They immediately put the hose back on sale in eBay and then told me they were immediately refunding my purchase price (a little of $40). They never did. I filed a dispute through PayPal and they claim it will take up to a month to "investigate" and have the refund. If this had happened with reputable companies, there would have been no problem. Oh yeah, camperid told me they were very sorry and offered me a $5 discount on my next purchase. Errrrrrrr
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I will have to say I have a PayPal account. I will also say I used it one time and they were so inept that I have never used them again. I can also say that since I established that account I receive, at least weekly, emails from "paypal" (a scam) telling me my account has been suspended and I need to resubmit my payment info....yeah, right. So they sold my info as well. Ain't got no use for them.

I have purchased from CW a few times on line and never had a problem but I have an account with them and I do not use paypal. I generally just go to their store. 60 miles from me but that's what we drive to go anywhere.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
hornet28

I've used Paypal for around 15 years for buying and selling and have only had one problem. I have a credit card issued by Paypal and it works like any other credit card for disputes. The one problem I had was a purchase where the seller wasn't honest but because I'd accepted the item Paypal wouldn't refund part of the payment. However the credit card did. I also have a separate bank account that I use for receiving payment and for paying Paypal
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:45 PM   #10
markcee

Don't want to jinx myself, but I also have used Paypal since its inception (20 years, I'd guess) without issue. I don't use it a ton for purchases other than eBay, but find it a very convenient way to send/receive money...particularly in the several fantasy sports leagues I'm in!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:24 PM   #11
gearhead

I don't use CW very much. I think I bought 2 Honda 2000 gens with no issues several years ago. they had an unbeatable price. We get way too much junk mail from them. We don't do PayPal either for some reason. I do keep Amazon busy though, seeing how Jeff Bezos is a Houston boy and has a small 300,000 acre ranch near Cotulla. LOL I have a love/hate thing for south Texas. One of my favorite joints in Encinal. Bet Jeffie never ate here:https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0445...2!8i6656?hl=en
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I don't use CW very much. I think I bought 2 Honda 2000 gens with no issues several years ago. they had an unbeatable price. We get way too much junk mail from them. We don't do PayPal either for some reason. I do keep Amazon busy though, seeing how Jeff Bezos is a Houston boy and has a small 300,000 acre ranch near Cotulla. LOL I have a love/hate thing for south Texas. One of my favorite joints in Encinal. Bet Jeffie never ate here:https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0445...2!8i6656?hl=en
Wow Brent! Looks like lots of places I go to. Ever ate in Fabens TX? Our favorite "hole in the wall" looked something similar. Is that you walking down the street?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:48 AM   #13
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Wow Brent! Looks like lots of places I go to. Ever ate in Fabens TX? Our favorite "hole in the wall" looked something similar. Is that you walking down the street?
I never have stopped in Fabens. You eat at that Cattlemans Steakhouse? Why is the area around town shaded green on Google maps? A park of some kind?
When I was working on the Pilloncillo Ranch project south of Catarina we tried to keep our lunch break as short as possible and that was usually 2 hours. I stayed in a circle of Catarina, Carrizo Springs, Encinal, and Cotulla.
I have spent some time around Candelaria and Capote Falls.
Let me see if I can dredge up a pic of our regular lunch spot.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #14
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I never have stopped in Fabens. You eat at that Cattlemans Steakhouse? Why is the area around town shaded green on Google maps? A park of some kind?
When I was working on the Pilloncillo Ranch project south of Catarina we tried to keep our lunch break as short as possible and that was usually 2 hours. I stayed in a circle of Catarina, Carrizo Springs, Encinal, and Cotulla.
I have spent some time around Candelaria and Capote Falls.
Let me see if I can dredge up a pic of our regular lunch spot.

Wonderful ambience. Two waitresses, Olive Oil and Clarabelle. I've seen the sidewalk and parking lot packed. There's something about a oilfield boomtown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00607.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	31201  
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #15
gearhead

Now, carry on. Sorry for the derail.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #16
LHaven

I can't really tell from the narrative whether CW or PayPal was more likely responsible for the screwup. PayPal usually works OK, but when they screw up it's like kicking the Tar Baby. I had a box of toner arrive three weeks ago that I had no record of ordering, charged via PayPal. When I examined it, it's not even a cartridge that fits my printer. Filed a dispute with PayPal, two weeks later it comes back with "records show it's a justified order." They didn't even include the records, said if I wanted them I had to send snail mail to their address. So I did. Meanwhile, I can't dispute the charge directly with my credit card company because they just shrug you off to PayPal. So I'm soured. i don't involve PayPal any more than I have to anymore.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'll apologize for the length up front. I don't know how to tell this any other way:

Let me start by saying I rarely buy from CW because in the past their shipping was expensive and typically I can buy the same thing at a lower price with free shipping elsewhere. Once in a while they will have a sale that makes it worthwhile. PayPal, I'll use to send money to family for Christmas or birthdays and occasional purchases online.

Back on 12/7/220 I received an email from CW announcing Good Sam members get an extra 20% discount on select items. Deal was good until 12/13. Recent threads on TPMS got me thinking of replacing our old Tire Minder system. I looked online and CW had the Tireminder Smart TPMS with signal booster and 4 sensors on sale. There was no stipulation that any other discounts could not be applied. With the GS discount, the price would be $265.34 , that's almost $90- off.

So I place it in the cart, apply the GS code, and the cost came up in the cart at $265.34. Beside this total ion the cart was the line "pay with Paypal 4 pay, 4 easy payments, one payment every 2 weeks without interest". I see the 4 pay deal and I think "ok, I don't really care, nor need to defer the payments but if PayPal wants to front the money why not". My thinking was I don't need this as the trailer in in storage, the last payment would be 1/22/21 so if ships then it would miss the Christmas shipping debacle and it would delay the sales date and extend the warranty by a little bit. OK, done deal in my mind. I click on "Buy", go to PP and pick the 4 pay.

Pay Pay sends me an email confirming the 4 pay dates and amounts. But I didn't get an email from CW that you typically get confirming the order. The next day I log onto CW and there's the item in the cart, same discounted price but now below the total it lists -$66.34 (the first payment amount in the PP email). I attempted to call CW to see why I didn't get a confirmation email. What a joke. Spent several hours calling, being placed on hold and getting disconnected. Thank you Covd for more poor service excuses.

So now I'm confused but still thinking CW advertised the PP option on their website, and they acknowledged the first payment. I still attempted to reach out to CW the next day again to no avail. Things happened (life goes on) and the next time I had the opportunity to check the item in the cart was priced back at the "regular" price. The -$66.34 deduction was no gone. WTH? So I log on to PP and my account does not list the transaction at all. WTH?

So a few days ago I spent the better part of 4 hrs getting someone from CW CS to answer the phone. Again, after being disconnect 3 times and finally getting someone to look into it I get a "sorry, you should talk to PayPal. Gee, why didn't I get a confirmation from CW? CW is promoting the PP deal so is it not PP who is contracted by CW for this? What happened to the communication? (there was absolutely none from CW). All I got was a "too bad for you bud". After discussing this further she put me on hold to "call a supervisor". She probably went to make another pot of coffee but whatever. About 4 min later she comes back and says there's nothing that can be done as now the item is listed with "this item does not qualify for any other sales or discounts". Lovely, have a nice day lady.

On to Paypal. Well, no phone numbers just a chat to communicate. Their chat isn't live either. You send a message, they send an email back in a day or so saying you have a message after they "get around to returning a reply". Wonderful. So after several days of this I receive a message from PayPal. They had my name incorrect (not misspelled but now even close), the merchant incorrect (they listed WalMart not CW) but they did the amount correct. They apologized for the "incorrect billing of $66.34 and would credit it back to my bank account. WOW, what service! Needless to say, I've canceled my account with PayPal.

After reflecting on this I called the "Speak with Marcus" number on CW website. A very pleasant young lady answered the phone (I assume young as she was out of breath when she answered the phone and I could clearly hear what sounded like a toddler in the background, Ain't Covid fun!?). She disconnected but did call me back when that happened. I explained my voyage to her and she said she would "take it to the team so that wouldn't happen again in the future". Well now THAT makes me feel better. So I guess that means that if I want this item it'll cost me an extra $90. Gee, they didn't ask me to "take one for the team". Lovely, have a nice day lady.

So, now CW will never see my business again right along with PP. Now I regret renewing my GS and it too shall be abandoned when it expires. Now I'm not naive I'm fully aware that they could care less less about my disappointment. The purpose of this exhaustive tome is to make others aware of what happened and the results of this failed transaction.

This was my experience and if you have had a positive experience that's great but this has turned me to abandon both retailers as I no longer have any trust in transacting with them again. Anyone can make a mistake, stuff happens, but the lack of even attempting to resolve the issue has left a vile impression on the two companies absence of any effective customer service.

YMMV
I’ve noticed that a lot of businesses,especially banks have used the COVID situation to completely throw customer service out the window. It seems like a “get out of jail free”card for being rude to customers. I was at a bank the other day in the drivethrough( can’t go in) and waited with 10 other cars for the lady to return from her paperwork after she told me she would be right with me ..I know it’s tough on everyone but it’s getting frustrating
Old 12-20-2020, 09:43 PM   #18
hornet28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I can't really tell from the narrative whether CW or PayPal was more likely responsible for the screwup. PayPal usually works OK, but when they screw up it's like kicking the Tar Baby. I had a box of toner arrive three weeks ago that I had no record of ordering, charged via PayPal. When I examined it, it's not even a cartridge that fits my printer. Filed a dispute with PayPal, two weeks later it comes back with "records show it's a justified order." They didn't even include the records, said if I wanted them I had to send snail mail to their address. So I did. Meanwhile, I can't dispute the charge directly with my credit card company because they just shrug you off to PayPal. So I'm soured. i don't involve PayPal any more than I have to anymore.
You say you can't dispute with the credit card? Have you tried? I did it took a bit they wanted statement from me in writing and gave the seller a couple of chances to respond then ruled in my favor which was the opposite of Paypal . My card is also connected with Paypal
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:58 AM   #19
sauerld

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post

YMMV
I will never darken a CW door way again. I had service troubles with them after purchasing a 5th wheel from them. I now go to Good Life RV in Webster City, Iowa. They have treated me very well and can actually fix the problems I have had. Small town friendly!
sauerld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:13 AM   #20
James R Moneypenny

Dear friend:

Long story short - I have had comparably bad experiences especially with Pay Pal. I had to send a half dozen hate mails to them and finally got a refund. Took nearly 9 months. Same story - never a telephone number for a quick resolution. All i was asking for was some documentation of what it was that I allegedly had purchased. never got it. Same outcome - I'll never do business with Pay Pal.

Best wishes
James R Moneypenny
James R Moneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote