Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
Freder

How not to winterize

I am not new at winterizing my Hideout 26RLS. We have been RVing for many years and I take pride in thinking I know what I am doing. However, I apparently loose control sometimes. Initially I turn off the water heater the night before winterizing. A smart move, you will see. First thing in the morning after disconnecting the water hookup, I hook up a small air compressor set at about 40 pounds. I then go in and go through every faucet and valve to blow out the lines. And I don't forget the outside shower. Well this year when this was done I went and took my tools and started to take out the anode rod. Did I mention it was about 45 degrees outside. As I started turning it out, I kind of noticed a few dribbles. Thinking this should be normal I continued backing out the rod. Well all of a sudden it came out like a shot along with the remaining water in the tank. Within in seconds I was standing there totally soaked, dripping wet soaked and cold. Yep, the system was still under pressure from the air compressor. Thank goodness I had turned the water heater off the night before. So, did I learn a lesson? I doubt it, but my wife after laughing for like ever will always remember.
Freder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
Camping family

We all have that senior moment even if we are not seniors yet.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
Canonman

Prone to similar incidences on numerous occasions, I always make sure the DW is nowhere around when these types of projects and potential embarrassments are undertaken. The best lesson learned is the one not "repeated"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7596-HDR-2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	31169  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #4
dutchmensport

We all make our mistakes. This last Spring I did just the opposite and knew it immediately when I did. I use pink stuff to winterize, so after flushing out all the lines and nice clean water running everywhere, I flipped on the electric on the water heater! OOPS! I forgot to turn the water heater bypass back to normal! No water in the tank! Yep, it fried the heating element immediately! Lesson learned. And I've been doing this for 20 (plus) years!

I got smart this time though.... I finally purchased one of those aluminum socket thingies that fits the hex nut on the water heater electric heating element. $12 at my local dealership and I replaced the heating element myself. I hope I never have to use it again!
Old 12-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
Sarge2

My DW has a sadistic sense of humor.. If I do anything amusing where I might have gotten injured she firsts asks me "are you alright"? If I say Yeah I'm fine... then she goes into hysterical laughter..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize