Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2020, 05:58 AM   #21
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Maybe I should wish for lots of DOT mobil weigh stations that require any rv to pull into. Would that be better for everyone? I know I would have no problem with it. Went through many DOT inspections and never failed one. No lawyers involved in that except for defense attorneys. DOT rules do not need defending. If you are overloaded, there is no arguing the point. Merry Christmas and may all our wishes come true.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:08 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

What's that old saying ????

In a perfect world, ______ (fill in your wishes)....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
Maybe I should wish for lots of DOT mobil weigh stations that require any rv to pull into. Would that be better for everyone? I know I would have no problem with it. Went through many DOT inspections and never failed one. No lawyers involved in that except for defense attorneys. DOT rules do not need defending. If you are overloaded, there is no arguing the point. Merry Christmas and may all our wishes come true.
They'd have to build multi level parking garages at those weigh stations capable of handling RVs & tow vehicle for getting most all the latest batch of rv owners off the road that have decided "We've got a truck let's get a rv" without any due diligence of what that "truck" is capable of, salesman that agree "no problem, you can pull anything on the lot, never know it's back there" & manufacturers that keep advertising useless ridiculous tow numbers & dry weights.
Sorry the weight police suddenly appeared!!
Now back the towing sarcasm!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #24
QCMan
Gone Traveling

What I get out of all of this is that nobody is in favor of having a way for new people that want to get into the rv world to get real answers that will help them make safe decisions nor is the idea of policing those that make bad decisions favored. Anybody coming onto this and other forums will get good advice that they may or may not like but in any event they will still think it is just from a bunch of amateurs on social media and the opinions and advice carry no weight no matter how good the advice is. Some see free advice as worth what they pay for it.
The boating world is just starting to mature after many tragic incidents. Some smart dealers are including a bit of training with boat purchases by people with no experience. I don't know if anyone remembers the sad tale of the Karen E. It was a 30 something foot boat bought by someone that had never been on a boat. Paid for it, dealer handed him the keys, and proceeded to end up killing his family and friends by hitting the tow cable between a tug and the barge behind it.
We are seeing more and more accidents with towables and those of us that know better need to support some way for newbies to get info they can consider as coming from an official source. We owe it to ourselves and them to make ALL of us safer on the road. RVIA has helped us by things like listing true length and requiring a safety margin with tire choices on new units. We can seek their help in getting manufacturers to give up listing dry weights and dry tongue weights. Nothing about the trailer will change if only mgvw and cargo carrying capacity are listed. Just like nothing on the trailers changed by putting actual length on units. As a community we need to come together and try to make it easier for folks to join our world safely. Mel.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

You originated this thread as one of jest. In post 12 you then posed a more serious, but impossible, question.

The RV towing, new owner (even old), manufacturers blowing smoke, RV manufacturers blowing smoke, salesmen for both blowing smoke equation is extremely complicated. IMO a new owner MUST do his due diligence. It is HIS responsibility to do so when they strap a 6/8/10/15k lb. box on the back of their tow vehicle thereby possibly endangering every single soul they carry and encounter on any trip - no matter how far they intend to go.

A website listing every possible equation of RV/trailer combo with every option listed on either....and THEN taking into the consideration what some folks actually try to throw on/in the truck and trailer.....well, that ain't gonna happen. And for it to be a "definitive" site with "irrefutable" numbers; that won't happen either because the first time someone kills someone when it appears they were within those numbers according to "abc site"...that site it going to be sued into oblivion. There are so many facets to every single variable in the towing equation there would be no way to it; it's impossible. Then you are back to "towing guides" and every mfgr. is going to do whatever it takes to make his look the best.

I too wish there was a way to educate new buyers. Even then many new owners are going to blow it off. "I just bought my brand new 1/2 ton xyz truck with abc on it I'm positive it can tow ANYTHING because the salesman/towing guide says so - hang what the old fogies that have done this for decades say (or a website says) - and I WANT that new 18k 5th wheel".

Personally I would welcome a DMV checkpoint for RVs. If they were there and the laws were enforced much of this would be a moot point - but that won't happen either. So, here we are; the same conversation repeated every day infinitum....hey, isn't there a movie like that?......Groundhog Day??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #26
alfonsi4

Better hope it doesn't pull yoi...
alfonsi4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #27
tubacjohn

Remember the hindenburg?
tubacjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
If I fill the tires with helium and fill the interior with helium balloons while on the road can I pull a Bullet 1700RB with my Suzuki Samurai?
Would I be allowed to use two samurai’s??? Maybe like a team of mules concept? ...or one in the back and one in the front?
Old 12-24-2020, 10:35 AM   #29
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
To John's point above....

I worked in the Development Dept (Realestate, Construction, Facilities) at a couple of retail and restaurant companies for several decades. One thing the Legal Dept always stress was to not take on responsibility that wasn't warranted. Simple right? Well I've seen several times where a store manager would get tired of hearing customer complaints about landlord issues and take it upon themselves to have it repaired.

In a couple of those cases the customer would sue the leaseholder for damages. As a corporate representative I would be in court also. In each case the customer would prevail and basically the judge had the attitude of "you fixed it now it's your responsability".

So a "simple disclaimer"? I doubt it. Unfortunately we live in an atmosphere where we are "surrounded" by TV lawyers hacking "get your no risk to you large sum of money". And like John said, the cost to the company to fly myself and an attorney into a town, hotels, meals, rental cars, etc. could be very costly. Add in an "expert witness" or two and well, you get the idea.
I work in the hvac field and replace furnaces or air conditioners on fixed specific contracts for large corporations...i often have customers that would ask my guys “ hey as long as your here would you mind looking at my upstairs ac unit”? ( not on the contract) or something else in the house they are having problems with.
Unfortunately a small number of people have forced me to say “ no I’m sorry” as a rule
I don’t know how many calls I’ve got in the past where people say “ it worked fine before you touched it”

Last person to lay their hands on something owns it
Old 12-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #30
Traveler2017

Thank you all for this bureau of both useful and useless information was a great read on Christmas Eve morning. To all of you site team and senior members We Wish You and Yours a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year May It Be Safe and Prosperous.

All those that would argue with the knowledge got their degrees from the University of Google and Wiki. Cheers one and all be safe!
VE7HSQ
Traveler2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #31
flookk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubacjohn View Post
Remember the hindenburg?
The Hindenburg was full of hydrogen but as we are all carrying 20 or 40lb tanks of propane maybe you are on to something ��.

Happy Festivus to all.
flookk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #32
jim1

I hear Rudy G might be looking for work!
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #33
KeystoneKal

Helium in a confined space can cause “dry land drowning”
1300 cubic feet cost $1300.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #34
Badbart56

Look, we all know because Marty McFly told us years ago, that all you have to do is install a flux capacitor and hit 87 mph and then you.....oh! Wait! A Suzuki Samurai won't GO 87 mph! Oh my, back to the drawing board.....

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #35
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
To John's point above....

I worked in the Development Dept (Realestate, Construction, Facilities) at a couple of retail and restaurant companies for several decades. One thing the Legal Dept always stress was to not take on responsibility that wasn't warranted. Simple right? Well I've seen several times where a store manager would get tired of hearing customer complaints about landlord issues and take it upon themselves to have it repaired.

In a couple of those cases the customer would sue the leaseholder for damages. As a corporate representative I would be in court also. In each case the customer would prevail and basically the judge had the attitude of "you fixed it now it's your responsability".

So a "simple disclaimer"? I doubt it. Unfortunately we live in an atmosphere where we are "surrounded" by TV lawyers hacking "get your no risk to you large sum of money". And like John said, the cost to the company to fly myself and an attorney into a town, hotels, meals, rental cars, etc. could be very costly. Add in an "expert witness" or two and well, you get the idea.
Where I live/work there is a Lowe’s that puts their own blue buckets under an A/C unit the comes down through the roof. Every time we have a decent rain, those buckets begin to pool up. I’ve thought to myself, “they have roof repair materials right there on the shelf, they should use it!” My assumption was they don’t employ anyone with the right knowledge to actually repair the leak. Or it’s a workman’s comp liability. So now I wonder if it’s a landlord responsibility? Does Lowe’s lease those big stores? Off topic a bit, sorry.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #36
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
If I fill the tires with helium and fill the interior with helium balloons while on the road can I pull a Bullet 1700RB with my Suzuki Samurai?
You're using a comment made by one of our leaders in a previous thread.
It's in bad taste.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #37
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
You're using a comment made by one of our leaders in a previous thread.
It's in bad taste.
??????????????????????
Forum rules suggest I should not use the initials I really wanted to use.