Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #21
Meyers-Gaw

Plastic Fender skirts

On our Bullet 251RBS the skirts cracked and were flapping down the highway. Besides the loose screws, possibly some sun/UV damage. After the huge cost to replace a plastic one on previous TT that was damaged by blown tire, we had the local weld shop trace and cut from aluminum. He matched screw holes and with a can of matte Rustoleum black they look presentable. Est 3# weight gain. Cost of two was less than cost of one factory not considering the 12 week wait. Lost the Embossed Keystone Logo but .....

2013 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
2015 Bullet 251RBS
Meyers-Gaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #22
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
I have one fender that took a beating from a blown tire. I used JB Weld to repair it where it cracked which included several holes where the screws are installed. I also JB weld'ed galvanized washer to the rear of the skirt. Once dried I used black automotive Goop to hide the JB weld.
I then used #8 x 1" S/S machine screws which I slid through rubber washers, through the fender, and Galvanized washer and then nylock nuts.
Screws kept backing off on my last TT and used the same system on it and they held.

Good luck sir.
I did something very similar, but used large rubber fender washers on top as well. Be careful not to screw them too tight or the vibration from rosd will crack the fender around the screws. I also added aluminum supports alongside existing supports in back to reduce the vibration/flapping which really helped.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #23
bigrockk

Two of the best ways I found to solve this is do what others have said about making sure the fenders are secure and avoid the flimsy oem replacements. I purchased my last set from Icon direct and man are they nice. Perfect fit and far more robust than the originals. Good luck!
https://www.icondirect.com/
bigrockk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:25 AM   #24
Readi2Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
JB Weld and a washer will work if you have holes that have broken out. Did that on this new one I've got. And with that, I'll tell you how I got those "enlarged holes". DO NOT put blue loctite on one of those screws going thru a fender. Had a section on this one where the backs of the screws were inaccessible going thru the metal J panel and loosening. Thought I'd see if some loctite on the screw would help it stick in the metal so put some on the screws and screwed them in....there was a bit of it under the head of the screws (2). Next day DW came in and said "that piece of fender you were working on is on the ground". The Loctite had eaten a hole right through the fender material - so don't. JB Weld and washer fixed that.
I wish I had read your post (and others) before trying to get my old fender to stay on. You are most correct LOCKTITE is not compatible with fender plastic - turned the plastic so brittle the fender just fell off. I'm going with SS screws and nylon insert nuts, and future additional braces. I did get a PERFECT match replacement from ELK MOUNTAIN, ELKHART IN. (2019 Cougar/26RBS)
Readi2Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:51 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readi2Roll View Post
I wish I had read your post (and others) before trying to get my old fender to stay on. You are most correct LOCKTITE is not compatible with fender plastic - turned the plastic so brittle the fender just fell off. I'm going with SS screws and nylon insert nuts, and future additional braces. I did get a PERFECT match replacement from ELK MOUNTAIN, ELKHART IN. (2019 Cougar/26RBS)
You might want to consider "rubber washers" on both sides of the fender skirt. The washers will absorb most of the road shock and help prevent the spider cracks that damage the plastic. I installed stainless machine screws with nylock nuts and a rubber washer on both sides of the fender skirt back in 2014 and have had no loose screws, no damaged plastic and no "flopping skirts" since then. All of the hardware is available at any hardware store. I bought mine at Lowe's and still have a couple of spares floating around somewhere.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-10-Pa...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RUBBER WASHERS.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	40747  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 02:28 AM   #26
Mic

vendor

so those that located fender skirts ...

what are good sites to get them....as I lost mine and do not know part numbers

thanks
Old 07-21-2022, 02:47 AM   #27
Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
so those that located fender skirts ...

what are good sites to get them....as I lost mine and do not know part numbers

thanks
the one I am missing, having hard time to find ...
is the driver side
middle one that is IN BETWEEN the (2) wheel house flares...

kind of a 'T' shape.

added (2) photos from a video I snagged off inter web
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 Cougar 359MBI center slideout skirt.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	40788   Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 Cougar 359MBI center slideout skirt 2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	40789  
Old 07-21-2022, 04:11 AM   #28
CedarCreekWoody

I had constant trouble with those screws vibrating loose. To fix the problem I took a soft plastic cutting board and cut it into 3/4 inch squares. I then drilled 1/8 inch pilot holes the middle of each. I then install these on each screw, much as a nut on a bolt. I just back the screw most of the way out, hand start the plastic "nut" and then hold it with a 3/4 inch wrench as I tighten the screw. The soft plastic grips the screw and prevents it vibrating loose.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:34 AM   #29
Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I had constant trouble with those screws vibrating loose. To fix the problem I took a soft plastic cutting board and cut it into 3/4 inch squares. I then drilled 1/8 inch pilot holes the middle of each. I then install these on each screw, much as a nut on a bolt. I just back the screw most of the way out, hand start the plastic "nut" and then hold it with a 3/4 inch wrench as I tighten the screw. The soft plastic grips the screw and prevents it vibrating loose.

Thanks !!!
great idea....I just need to find/locate a replacement part now..
Old 07-21-2022, 04:43 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
the one I am missing, having hard time to find ...
is the driver side
middle one that is IN BETWEEN the (2) wheel house flares...

kind of a 'T' shape.

added (2) photos from a video I snagged off inter web
They do not come in sections. The two sides are identical. They take a full fender and cut it to fit at the factory.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 04:59 AM   #31
dutchmensport

If you find a replacement fender skirt but the color is wrong, that can easily be fixed with spray paint before affixing the skirt to the trailer. You can match almost anything with Spray Paint. Rust-o-lium (original) works very well on those vinyl items and lasts forever. Just give it plenty of time to dry before handling after painting. I know, I've touched up a lot of vinyl and plastic on all my campers this way.
Old 07-21-2022, 05:12 AM   #32
Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
They do not come in sections. The two sides are identical. They take a full fender and cut it to fit at the factory.
Thanks...
do not know why I did not think of that....
Old 07-21-2022, 10:39 AM   #33
Readi2Roll

Quote:
Thanks !!!
great idea....I just need to find/locate a replacement part now..
https://www.icondirect.ca/categories...Fender-Skirts/

This company has a very good search tool and can make a fender from scratch as well
Readi2Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #34
Mic

HAs anyone used this company?

https://www.edigipumps.com/index.php...ucts_id=106159

prices seem very reasonable?