Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
gearhead

Neighborhood invaded..

...by RV's. I finally got the cracker condo out of hock at the RV shop today. Thinking about a conversation the the county DA. It was dang expensive.
Anyway I'm trying to back in my driveway with the neighbors truck parked on the street. I hoped he heard my cussin. So with my 3rd try at just guessing where my driveway curb was, I got 'er in. No more got it half butt straight and a neighbor walks up to me. I saw you backing in, you get a new one? LOL no it's been at the RV shop since September 12. I didn't hardly recognize it myself. Well we're looking at 5th wheels. That conversation lasted 45 minutes. Gave him the grand tour etc. He finally left before it started raining on my just waxed Dodge Bros.
So I got to counting. New TT around the corner, new 5th around the other corner. Now probably another plus 2 others and mine in a small 40 house subdivision. I'm fortunate to have 2 lots and can back the 5th to my back fence and close the 6ft privacy fence gate to semi hide it. It's behind the rear of the house. Both the new TT and the new 5th are hanging out beyond the front of the house in the driveway. It don't look good. We have a HOA with restrictions but no one to enforce. I talked to a city inspector about the trailers in the driveway and he said when the city tried to enforce deed restrictions the folks just howled at their friends on city council and it died.
I'm not ready to move but..
Y'all had anything similar?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:37 AM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
We have a HOA with restrictions but no one to enforce. I talked to a city inspector about the trailers in the driveway and he said when the city tried to enforce deed restrictions the folks just howled at their friends on city council and it died.
I'm not ready to move but..
Y'all had anything similar?
We live in a 55+ community. Here no one is allowed to keep an RV/boat etc. on their property although the RV may be parked up to 72 hours per month for packing/unloading and so on. It's common to see dozens in the street throughout the community at any given time, however most are pretty good at adhering to the rules. The community does have an enforcement team and fines are routinely meted out to offenders. The nice thing here is that there is a secure RV storage compound for the exclusive use of residents less than 10 minutes away. It may take a few months on the waiting list to get a spot, but its dirt cheap at $5 per foot for the year.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:07 AM   #3
QCMan
Gone Traveling

Aaaaahhhhh the joys of living in an HOA ruled zone. Just a silly question: why is it ok for you to have an rv on your property and not ok for others? Were you forced to move into that situation or did you do it willingly? Odds are, yours is against the rules too. Maybe a little talk with your neighbor telling him you were bringing the unit home and you needed some maneuvering room and he might have moved his truck for the time needed.
Remember, HOA's are run and ruled by those with the most time on their hands and the least amount of caring about others. I bought all six lots in this subdivision out in farm country so I could avoid neighborhood squabbles and as soon as I finished the deal I disbanded the proposed HOA. Never saw a fair HOA anywhere no matter what value the homes are.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:54 AM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCMan View Post
Aaaaahhhhh the joys of living in an HOA ruled zone. Just a silly question: why is it ok for you to have an rv on your property and not ok for others? Were you forced to move into that situation or did you do it willingly? Odds are, yours is against the rules too. Maybe a little talk with your neighbor telling him you were bringing the unit home and you needed some maneuvering room and he might have moved his truck for the time needed.
Remember, HOA's are run and ruled by those with the most time on their hands and the least amount of caring about others. I bought all six lots in this subdivision out in farm country so I could avoid neighborhood squabbles and as soon as I finished the deal I disbanded the proposed HOA. Never saw a fair HOA anywhere no matter what value the homes are.

Well while nice to have your RV at your house, no better way to tell crooks you are away, that to have the RV that was there yester day gone along with the truck to tow it!
We didn't have room at our last house, and stored at a storage yard about 2 miles away. The yard had a coded entry/exit gate, video surveillance, and a 24/7 watchman. I never worried about the 5er in storage there.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:13 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post

Well while nice to have your RV at your house, no better way to tell crooks you are away, that to have the RV that was there yester day gone along with the truck to tow it!
We didn't have room at our last house, and stored at a storage yard about 2 miles away. The yard had a coded entry/exit gate, video surveillance, and a 24/7 watchman. I never worried about the 5er in storage there.
At one time (about 6 years ago) we had our camper stored less than a mile away. If I looked outside from the upstairs bedroom window I could just see a part of the building. They had an onsite manager (lived in an apartment above the building), coded gate, well illuminated paved lot and 52 cameras. Our camper, and 28 others were broken into. Televisions ripped out, inside trashed, over $4K in damages to our unit.

The Sheriffs Office put trail cams up in the woods where they entered and cut the 10' high fence. A week later, they got pictures of the 2 guys returning and doing it again. In one month these two heroin addicts hit 4 storage lots and 3 RV dealerships along 4 miles of highway. The one guy had a record so he was wearing gloves but he dropped one so they found him from DNA. He is still doing his 15 yr term at the detention center.

Just saying, don't get too secure in the thoughts that all is well "behind the gates". I'll also state that being anal about of keeping records saved an enormous amount of time filing the police report and the insurance claim. I had/have photos of every thing in the camper with a photo of the manufacturers label with the model & serial number where applicable. It took me less than an hour after I got home from seeing the carnage to assemble the list of stolen items and email it to the Detective and the insurance agent.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
ewbldavis

I see both sides to this fence...

I can't stand the idea of an HOA telling me I can't do this or can't do that - I paid $$$ for my property, and feel I should be able to do whatever I want (legally). However, I understand and respect wanting a decent neighborhood without junk cars and the like sitting everywhere.

My personally - I had a new driveway done in 2018 that accommodates even our new rig. I can even push it back next to the garage and park in front of camper. I love that I can bring it home, but I do NOT want it there full time. I also agree that it's advertising "oh, camper was there, now it's not", so not having it there most of the time I think is good.

We leave ours on seasonal site. They've had break-ins, but I feel better about it there than in a storage lot. Nevermind too folks are butts - my sister's TT got hit in storage and no one said a word.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
Javi

I will refrain from voicing my opinion on Home Owner's ***...
Old 12-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #8
travelin texans

We now live in a 55+ rv resort, a while back the subject of forming a HOA in the park was mentioned, afterwards there were a good many residents that indicated if that happened there would a huge number of empty properties available immediately following the formation of said ASSociation.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
gearhead

See if I can address all the comments.
Our lots are elevated very high above the street. My garage is a side loader. My cars and boat stay in the garage, very rarely in the driveway. My driveway extends beyond the rear of the house. I have a double 16ft wide cedar picket privacy gate 7ft tall, 8ft beyond the rear of the house. I have about 70 ft of gravel pad beyond the gate. I push the 5th wheel all the way against the back fence. I have room for a 15ft utility trailer between the gates and the 5th. My back neighbor is a 15,000 acre wildlife refuge. The closest side neighbor is shielded from view of the 5th by my backyard storage shed. With the lot being so high above the street there is very little of the 5th visible from the street, maybe the top 12- 18 inches of the cap. Then that is screened by two trees about 30ft tall. I just don't like boats and RV's sitting the drive in front of the house. Just like I don't like cars parked in the street daily. I believe with a little effort the owners of the 2 new RV's could get them behind their side fence.
HOA,,,we have one but we don't. The developer apparently just picked 2 of the first residents that moved in to be the "Board". One of them moved away 4 years ago. The other one lives across the street from me. There never has been any activity, no meetings etc. As explained the city will not enforce deed restrictions. The restictions are 25 years old...nothing more than a 1/2 ton truck etc.
The neighbor next door with the truck in the street is kinda the joke of the block. We laugh that they can't figure how to park their cars based on who will leave first. I talk to them minimally. Hi and how ya doing. That's more than the other neighbors do. I don't have to tell the whole story again about them and their dogs and the police chiefs wife do I?
Hop I hit the high spots.
I need to move to the country.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
See if I can address all the comments.
Our lots are elevated very high above the street. My garage is a side loader. My cars and boat stay in the garage, very rarely in the driveway. My driveway extends beyond the rear of the house. I have a double 16ft wide cedar picket privacy gate 7ft tall, 8ft beyond the rear of the house. I have about 70 ft of gravel pad beyond the gate. I push the 5th wheel all the way against the back fence. I have room for a 15ft utility trailer between the gates and the 5th. My back neighbor is a 15,000 acre wildlife refuge. The closest side neighbor is shielded from view of the 5th by my backyard storage shed. With the lot being so high above the street there is very little of the 5th visible from the street, maybe the top 12- 18 inches of the cap. Then that is screened by two trees about 30ft tall. I just don't like boats and RV's sitting the drive in front of the house. Just like I don't like cars parked in the street daily. I believe with a little effort the owners of the 2 new RV's could get them behind their side fence.
HOA,,,we have one but we don't. The developer apparently just picked 2 of the first residents that moved in to be the "Board". One of them moved away 4 years ago. The other one lives across the street from me. There never has been any activity, no meetings etc. As explained the city will not enforce deed restrictions. The restictions are 25 years old...nothing more than a 1/2 ton truck etc.
The neighbor next door with the truck in the street is kinda the joke of the block. We laugh that they can't figure how to park their cars based on who will leave first. I talk to them minimally. Hi and how ya doing. That's more than the other neighbors do. I don't have to tell the whole story again about them and their dogs and the police chiefs wife do I?
Hop I hit the high spots.
I need to move to the country.

We've often thought of just moving our main residence to "the country" but I watched that happen to my parents. Depending on age and health "the country" can turn into a self imposed, despised prison.

Their thought was they were going to have a place that everyone wanted to congregate at the lake. Fact was that it never materialized. Then both their health started going downhill and they worried daily about something happening, if anyone could find them and the drive to town. Then they began lamenting about wanting to live in town. Personally, I'm the country guy and you just deal with the rest for the country benefits....but there is that downside.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:27 PM   #11
gearhead

Yeah Danny it would take a minimum of 50 acres to isolate myself to be worth it. I suggested we retire on Betty's pine plantation but she didn't want it. I even timed how long it took to drive to the mall in Beaumont. Nope. I asked her "you don't want to be stranded there if I "go" first huh?" Well no, but you know that you're not going first.
Maybe. So how about Raven Hill, that gated place north of town? No it's not in the city limits and will take too long for a county ambulance to get there. Alright then I guess it's build on the 2 lots we own here in town.
So it goes.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:54 PM   #12
Javi

I've been to Liberty, not sure that I'd call it the CITY...
Old 12-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #13
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I've been to Liberty, not sure that I'd call it the CITY...
Good one! It ain't much especially if driving down US 90. But compared to Hardin or Moss Hill, it's a booming metropolis. Actually getting some growth. A 3 story hotel planned on Main Street. Woo Hoo!
Due to the construction of HWY 99 coming around this side of Houston, Dayton is seeing a lot of growth, and the old folks are howling about it. Property valuations popping up. Traffic terrible, dump trucks and concrete trucks. Liberty is getting just enough of it to keep things humming.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:26 PM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Good one! It ain't much especially if driving down US 90. But compared to Hardin or Moss Hill, it's a booming metropolis. Actually getting some growth. A 3 story hotel planned on Main Street. Woo Hoo!
Due to the construction of HWY 99 coming around this side of Houston, Dayton is seeing a lot of growth, and the old folks are howling about it. Property valuations popping up. Traffic terrible, dump trucks and concrete trucks. Liberty is getting just enough of it to keep things humming.
I'm sure that it's grown since I bought the old Mississippi Chemical warehouse out on the river and shipped it by rail to Victoria. That was back in the mid 90's
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:49 PM   #15
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I'm sure that it's grown since I bought the old Mississippi Chemical warehouse out on the river and shipped it by rail to Victoria. That was back in the mid 90's
If that was the spur track going south off 90, it hasn't been used in years.

After the 1920's Liberty Oilfield boom played out in the 1960's the area had a pretty good slump. The Sulfur Plant closed and a big lay off. The pipe plant closed.
But it has rebounded some. New pipe company bought the mill. Old money folks mostly held on. Courthouse lawyers did OK. More people like us moved in..commuters to Houston, Baytown, Pasadena, etc. Home builders are busy.
Both our kids told us don't hang around here for us. No telling where we will live, but not here. So you know where they live..here. Daughter has a dang good job with Humana in Houston. Her husband is Electrical Engineer for TransCon pipeline in downtown Houston. Son is a Instrument Tech for Chevron at their new Olefins plant in Baytown. He bought 15 acres in Devers and is getting close to home building. Daughter bought 3 acres in Raven Hill and after the new baby will be looking to build. Both of them realized it's a good place to raise kids.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:42 PM   #16
gearhead

Small town livin:
https://bluebonnetnews.com/2020/12/0...ntown-liberty/
Old 12-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #17
pdaniel

I lived in an HOA with a mix of “cluster” homes with shared driveways and homes with two car driveways. No parking of RVs overnight or “Cynthia” would appear.
We now live in a development of single family dwellings that is an HOA that allows RV parking on our lots (lots are a minimum of a quarter acre. Best move I did.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Loved seeing the kids in that link. Where we live I wouldn't consider small town as it's a bedroom community of about 12K that's not incorporated but was charted in 1705 I think. It's a lot like living in a small town as the community is bordered by a river, a state park, and a major highway so it "feels" small town isolated. Anyway, seeing the photos in the link reminded me of the many Christmas, Easter, and other parades DW and I watched with our girls marching along as either Girl Scouts, 4 H, church or Ballet troops. We kept them busy for many years, or they kept us busy!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #19
Bandit12

My wife and I bought our home in northern California from her Mom a year after her Dad passed. We got a good deal on it, we are in a small unincorporated town, no HOA, and we park our trailer in front of the house in our gravel parking area. When we had our hybrid, we parked on the right side of the lot because that's the side of the walkway that had the power outlet and we only needed to use one adapter to go from 30 amp down to 20 amp. I could get my small fishing 12 foot fishing boat or my utility trailer out with no problems. When we brought our Cougar home this year, being 8 foot longer I couldn't get the other things out of the back yard without having to move the camper. Plus, I needed to use a 50 amp to 30 amp to 20 amp adapter at the power pole. I decided to see if the trailer would fit on the other side of the lot, which it does but then my power cord was stretched across the walk. Not an ideal situation. I had my neighbor who does general contracting, install a 50 amp RV power pedestal on that side of the lot. Everything now works beautifully. If we go on a weekend trip, we let our neighbors know and they keep an eye on our property. If we are gonna be gone for a week or more, we have friends and family we can call on to house and pet sit for us while we're gone. Having said all that, we are in the Peoples Republik of Kommiefornia, with Emperor Newscum in command. We have been talking long and hard about making a move to southwest South Dakota, in the Rapid City, Black Hills area. While looking online at properties, 3 things are on our must have list. 1) Attached two car garage, 2) RV Parking area, 3) No HOA. If there is a covered RV spot or a garage or shop big enough for the trailer that's even better. I refuse to purchase any property that includes a HOA. (BTW, my signature pic was on the Cougar parked in the older location)
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #20
AF0DJ

We live near Rapid City in the big town of New Underwood (approx 620 people). Town founded in the 1800s. Spent 63 K for an older house and a two vehicle garage. Park our 40 foot 5er, our dually, a 21 foot sloop. And a couple of utility trailers behind the house. Really nice IN THE SPRING , SUMMER, AND FALL. We'll be rolling for Q in a few days now.
AF0DJ is offline   Reply With Quote