Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
Kopy kat

X-chocks and 6 point levelers

Are the x-chocks still used to lock the tires if your rig has the 6 point leveling system?

Thanks, Larry
Kopy kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #2
LHaven

I've been through every kind of chock they make, and none of them do what you or I really want.

I use cheap triangle chocks, applied just before unhitching, to make sure the rig doesn't run away for any reason. After that point, I find all chocks more or less useless, because with the levelers down, the rig really isn't going anywhere, nor is it bouncing.

The levelers lift up your rig enough to make triangle chocks loose. If you move them in, you'll only trap them when you lower the rig. Since the rig isn't going anywhere, why bother?

Fastway chocks have the same problem.

Lifting the rig frees the tires to move relative to each other, so X-chocks get loose if applied before leveling; and again, after leveling, what does it achieve?

In my opinion, if you have and use the levelers, the only point of chocks is to keep the trailer from running away while hitching or unhitching. I expect there will be other opinions.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
Javi

Waste of money with true leveling jacks. .
Old 10-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I have a bit of a different opinion. We have used all kinds of chocks etc. With the leveling system I figure this; If all tires were off the ground and the levelers supported the entire weight of the trailer, the x chocks would be useless. IF you hit auto level and all your tires are still sitting on the ground, I use them. Not for the trailer "running down the hill" or such but because the tires bounce, flex and are still part of what supports the trailer. In that situation I just put the xchocks in and tighten them down. Firms up the tires and seems to minimize some of the bounce the tires inherently give. Seems to work, and, it's just another fun thing to do setting up!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #5
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have a bit of a different opinion. We have used all kinds of chocks etc. With the leveling system I figure this; If all tires were off the ground and the levelers supported the entire weight of the trailer, the x chocks would be useless. IF you hit auto level and all your tires are still sitting on the ground, I use them. Not for the trailer "running down the hill" or such but because the tires bounce, flex and are still part of what supports the trailer. In that situation I just put the xchocks in and tighten them down. Firms up the tires and seems to minimize some of the bounce the tires inherently give. Seems to work, and, it's just another fun thing to do setting up!!
This is EXACTLY why I use mine still and in the same fashion. They are what is keeping me from trying steady-fast.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:38 AM   #6
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Waste of money with true leveling jacks. .
^^^Same in my opinion.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I can see chocking the "downhill" set of tires when unhooking, but dont see the need for X chocks when leveling. JMO, YMMV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:34 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Yeah, I think the term "chock" gets lost in the application of the x chocks with a self leveling system. I use regular chocks to keep the trailer from running off when unhitching and before using the auto level. After it is level I use the x chocks more for additional stabilization and nothing to do with normal "chocking". There isn't much movement once it has auto leveled, and quite honestly the reduction in RV movement is minimal once the x chocks are added. On the last trailer with 15" LRE tires I could cinch the x chocks down hard and they actually did compress the tire enough to make them feel more "stiff". With the current tires, 16", steel cased LRG I don't know if the x chocks do much of anything - they are STIFF. Maybe it's just a mental thing....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #9
jsb5717

I used the x-chocks for many years on our older 5er but it was primarily for stabilization. With my current set up with auto level jacks as well as the JT Strong Arms I have no need to use the x-chocks. Our HC is very stable without them. I do use the standard triangle chocks on the ground to keep the trailer in place while unhooking but once set up it's quite solid. I do still carry the x-chocks and would be inclined to use them if we were parked on a steeper pad where rolling were more of a possibility.

I also used to use the tripod on the pin which also helped stabilize the older 5er...and it did help a lot. But that boat anchor is long gone and completely unnecessary with our current setup
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #10
dutchmensport

I have a 6 point Lippert auto leveling system and we do not have any trailer bounce after the auto level. The jacks themselves are solid shafts with no bounce. They can't bounce. And so many times, more than not, the jacks actually lift the camper slightly, thus taking some pressure off the tires. I also have noticed that the tires always lift from the triangular chocks and if snugging them under, when unleveling to hitch up, they are wedged under the tires, impossible to get out. I just simply cannot understand how X-chocks would work with a scenario like this. They do work great on trailers with scissor jacks, because they do give. But with the 6 point leveling system, no. There is no give. The trailer may wiggle from side to side a little, but it DOES NOT bounce.

J.T. Strongarms is what you want, not X-chocks.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:54 PM   #11
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I have a 6 point Lippert auto leveling system and we do not have any trailer bounce after the auto level. The jacks themselves are solid shafts with no bounce. They can't bounce. And so many times, more than not, the jacks actually lift the camper slightly, thus taking some pressure off the tires. I also have noticed that the tires always lift from the triangular chocks and if snugging them under, when unleveling to hitch up, they are wedged under the tires, impossible to get out. I just simply cannot understand how X-chocks would work with a scenario like this. They do work great on trailers with scissor jacks, because they do give. But with the 6 point leveling system, no. There is no give. The trailer may wiggle from side to side a little, but it DOES NOT bounce.

J.T. Strongarms is what you want, not X-chocks.
The x-chocks don’t do anything to bounce you are correct. They make it so the tires don’t rotate causing for and aft movement. As long as the tires are on the ground then there is a benefit from them. We have the 6 point also. After arriving and setting up, including placing the x-chocks, all was good. The tires cooled and my wife noticed right away. Tightened them up and no more movement, at least way less. My opinion they help.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote