Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2020, 07:36 AM   #21
Garfman

Take the back roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynch6 View Post
I cant imagine anyone would be thrilled to be stuck behind me on the freeway doing 45MPH with the engine struggling in 4th gear.
Welcome to the Forum. Good job trying to make sense of the information here and how much misinformation comes from sales People.
Most of us don’t have a dog in the sales fight.
To go camping is to get “away from it all;” for me this starts at the route. Stay off the freeways. Take the long road. Enjoy the scenery. Enjoy the trip. Enjoy the alone time with your DW. Enjoy the road noise. The engine noise. The wind noise.
Garfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #22
Mikelff

If you are at or going to exceed your rear GAWR, that is a no go number. Exceeding your GVWR is the second no go number. Going to a 3/4 ton truck for this trailer will be fine. If you decide later you want a 5th wheel you will need to go to a 1 ton. The only other option is to have your 3/4 ton have DOT certified modification to your rear spring pack, which depending on the size of of the 5er, should be fine. Cost for that is approx. $1600 to $2300. All things to think about now before you take the leap. Welcome to the RV world!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:19 AM   #23
notanlines

That Garfman, he’s sharp, sharp! The tinkle of ice in the glass and popping of brats on the grill!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #24
Paultherock

You can probably get away with trips around your area. Basically flat terrain towing. Stay away from extreme hills and the mountains.
Paultherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #25
Spaceguy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynch6 View Post
Hello everyone,

My wife and I have been wanting to get a camper for quite some time, my great uncle has offered to sell us his old 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 34BHPR for a really good price to get us started.

I have a 2016 F-150 Plat Super Crew, short bed, 4X4, 5.0 Gas w/tow package. GVWR of the truck is 7000 and payload is rated 1631 (see first photo)

The trailer info my uncle sent is GVWR 8800 and a max payload 1680 (see second photo). His most recent trip to the scales has the trailer at 8000 loaded with tools, pots pans, chairs, linens, the works and all of the water tanks empty. He also says he will include his Reese Steadi Flex Hitch
https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc..._400_lbs,66561

Going through the user manuals and specs for all of the above and making some assumptions based on it being only me and my wife in the truck I completed this towing calculator (see final photo). It looks like we would be right at the edge of my trucks limits from this calculator, is that what the calculator shows accurate? Would we be crazy to try and tow this trailer with my truck?

Let me know if I am missing any important information, any help would be much appreciated.
Congratualtions on wanting to get into the life. I have, from personal knowledge, had some issues with a half ton towing 9000lbs of TT. I have a 2017 Nissan Titan, the books say it can handle 9240. Well, I have the proper weight distributing hitch, and the truck has heavy duty springs and sway bars from the factory. I have towed several times this season, and let me tell you, it has been an experience. The TT stil sways, and I have had everything checked several times. One guy at the local camper repair shop told me that even though I am rated on the truck at 9240, the TT is so close to that, that it causes the truck to actually sway due to the heavy load. He recomended getting a 3/4 ton truck with a longer bed (Mine is an extended cab, 6.5ft bed). He says that he has seen this issue before, and with my TT at 36.8 ft front to back is just too much mass for a half ton. Not sure, but, he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Guess I will search for a bigger truck, but, please, if you use your 1/2 ton, be very careful.
Spaceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceguy85 View Post
Congratualtions on wanting to get into the life. I have, from personal knowledge, had some issues with a half ton towing 9000lbs of TT. I have a 2017 Nissan Titan, the books say it can handle 9240. Well, I have the proper weight distributing hitch, and the truck has heavy duty springs and sway bars from the factory. I have towed several times this season, and let me tell you, it has been an experience. The TT stil sways, and I have had everything checked several times. One guy at the local camper repair shop told me that even though I am rated on the truck at 9240, the TT is so close to that, that it causes the truck to actually sway due to the heavy load. He recomended getting a 3/4 ton truck with a longer bed (Mine is an extended cab, 6.5ft bed). He says that he has seen this issue before, and with my TT at 36.8 ft front to back is just too much mass for a half ton. Not sure, but, he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Guess I will search for a bigger truck, but, please, if you use your 1/2 ton, be very careful.

The guy at the camper repair shop was being honest and told you the truth.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #27
deputy956

Your truck will work, but you will eat up gas like nobody's business
deputy956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #28
Spaceguy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The guy at the camper repair shop was being honest and told you the truth.
Thanks for that (I think).... That Titan is one Tough truck, but, not big enough for what we have.

Thanks,
Spaceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:59 AM   #29
Ribtip

Op 1/2 tons are good at pulling boats,flat trailers etc etc. When you get into a camper with heavy tongue or pin weights you need 3/4 or better. I use to pull a 6000lb boat with my 1500 now with my 2500 the difference is night and day.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:04 AM   #30
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceguy85 View Post
This is good info. I have a ram 2500 crew with the 8ft bed.longer wheel base seems to make a difference. Also no need for a slider hitch and no window smashing. Just a bear to park sometimes.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:16 PM   #31
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

3/4 ton not for everyone

My job has provided me a new 3/4 ton pickup every two years for the past twenty years. The ride is very rough, and I've had them all. My wife won't tolerate them. We will personally only own a half ton. It's really a nice ride.
We decide to buy something appropriate for our 1/2 ton to tow.
We tow a Pathfinder 2210RB. It has a single slide and is quite comfortable.
Also, we've found that many campgrounds limit the size allowed anyway.
We have no plans to go bigger, since campgrounds and comfort would be limited.
Cheers weight nerds!
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubuckaroo View Post
My job has provided me a new 3/4 ton pickup every two years for the past twenty years. The ride is very rough, and I've had them all. My wife won't tolerate them. We will personally only own a half ton. It's really a nice ride.
Cheers weight nerds!:lol:

I'm assuming you can expound??
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:59 PM   #33
travelin texans

Quote:
Cheers weight nerds!
The company I retired from also furnished 1/2, 3/4 & 1 ton pickups & I'll say that the ride was dependent on the brand more so than the size/weight rating.
One rode/handled, like a buckboard in all 3 sizes, also the seats were terrible & the other rode/handled like you'd expect a truck to ride & handled like any other vehicle.
So as not to start a truck war I'll let you guess at which brand was which.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:17 AM   #34
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm assuming you can expound??
Sure...
A nerd is an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit:
ie... a computer nerd.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:51 AM   #35
Laredo Tugger

Oh, in that case I'm a whiskey nerd.
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:07 AM   #36
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Oh, in that case I'm a whiskey nerd.
And I am a home improvement nerd!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #37
Bill-2020

Nerds abound here I'm sure... I'm a multifaceted nerd. Too many interests for my own good. Too many projects in motion at once, both at work and home (including the TT).
Old 10-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #38
NMRandy

1/2 ton trucks

Last weekend I was on a trip, following a 1/2 ton truck, (Chev Tahoe), pulling a dump trailer. The trailer was not full, It had a tarp over it and appeared to have yard trash in it. We were traveling on a flat level road at about 65 mph, and there was very light wind. Without warning the trailer started to sway violently, and before it was over, he was in the oncoming lane, in front of a semi-truck, coming from the other way, and on the right shoulder, (thankfully the shoulder was full width, because he used most of it). The Tahoe and trailer cycled back and forth several times and was leaving black marks on the highway. The truck took the shoulder to miss him, (thankfully he had a full width shoulder to go to). I hate to think what would have happened if that 2 lane road had no shoulder, or the semi was closer when all that started. He gathered it up and pulled over on the shoulder, (I was almost stopped by this point), I am sure to check his shorts!! LOL. The biggest problem with a 1/2 ton is the lack of brakes. The second problem is that they don't weigh enough to control the trailer if something like that happens. 3/4 ton is definitely the way to go unless you have a very small RV.
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #39
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The company I retired from also furnished 1/2, 3/4 & 1 ton pickups & I'll say that the ride was dependent on the brand more so than the size/weight rating.
One rode/handled, like a buckboard in all 3 sizes, also the seats were terrible & the other rode/handled like you'd expect a truck to ride & handled like any other vehicle.
So as not to start a truck war I'll let you guess at which brand was which.
The one with the straight axle front end?
Old 10-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #40
travelin texans

Quote:
The one with the straight axle front end?
That's possible, but I'm not allowed to use 4 letter words.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing