Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
Summergirl

Looking for help - possible soft floor

Let me say this site has been very informative.

We purchased a new to us 2018 22RBPR Bullet Premier to replace our camper. The unit was only used 6 weeks in the 11 months the other people owned it and still smells new. We were able to transfer the warranty before it was up. So we do have the three year structure for however good it is.

We have used it a couple of times before storing it for the winter. It is currently on our driveway under cover from the elements.

However from reading on this site......the soft floors on the bullets I have been doing some through checking on the underside of the trailer.

On the door side of the trailer on the underside there are some wavy spots about two feet each side of the door. Including where the steps are attached. I am suspecting that this is water damage. The other side is tight.

Pulled the screws on the threshold and two of them had rust on them. They were the ones on the hinge side. The top side seems to be firm so.....

Where should I start to look for the leak?

I am not beyond pulling off the skirting and sealing it with butyl and caulking. The front cargo area looks dry and firm as well. I pulled a few screws from the door frame on the hinge side and they looked good no rust. I did notice that on the door sill underneath at the front there is some foam and it was wet when it was first covered but now is dry. Is it worth it to pull the door out and look at the sill area.

I would like to enclosed the wheel well area but I don’t want to do this until I find the source of the leak.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
danf

I had somebody use a hose on mine and spray it all over (concentrating on windows, doors, and any seams/screws on the unit ) while I was inside. But I didn't see any leaks because the source wasn't the ceiling or wall areas. But, you are not necessarily going to see a leak. Water could go down inside the walls.

You can take off a floor vent cover and bend back the vent tabs so the vent will drop down below the floor. It will just lay on the coroplast. Then you can feel below on the bottom layer to see if there is any water damage. You could use a flashlight and mirror too. If the bottom layer has delaminated, you will be able to see it.

If you are still in warranty, you should probably take it to a dealer and get them to document the floor areas that may have problems.
danf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #3
Summergirl

Last update:
Received the trailer back today after 20 weeks of not seeing it.
The floor replacement is great. Looking through out the unit you would never know there was an issue.
When looking closely you can see we’re the wiring has been spliced and water lines. Overall it looks great. The tacked down some trim that wasn’t right from factory as well as replaced the decal in the glass doors that had rubbed.
Overall experience - took them way too long. From the time it was dropped off to return was 20 weeks. No this was not the dealer. Transport arrangements from Canada were horrendous due to COVID-19. Parts coming from the east coast to west coast took forever. The fact the west coast plant isn’t geared for floor replacement as well as natural disasters (forest fires) and COVID did bode for a quick turn around. Originally told 6-8 weeks.
The floor looks great. So far we haven’t been able to test anything out. They did winterized the system including filling the hot water tank with RV anti freeze. Which we have drained and will flush out this week. Will test all appliances this week as well before putting it to bed for the winter. Spring can’t come fast enough.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:53 AM   #4
QCMan
Gone Traveling

As annoying as it was, the fact that it is done and made right has to feel great. I hope you have many great experiences with it. No matter what the factory has done, the first thing to do when you uncover it is check all the sealant on the roof for cracks and reseal as needed. Extremely cheap insurance! When we lived in an area that got lots of cold I would inspect before covering and reseal as needed and cover a few days later. When uncovering there would usually be more spots that needed attention. Happy camping and safe travels.
QCMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summergirl View Post
Last update:
They did winterized the system including filling the hot water tank with RV anti freeze. Which we have drained and will flush out this week. ....
If they did the repair the way I'm thinking they did (I've never seen the "floor replacement area at the factory), they may have left the bypass valve out of the water heater plumbing when they reconnected everything after replacing the floor. Your comment that the water heater was full of anti-freeze could be an indicator of a "missing part". Be sure to check carefully behind the water heater. It may not be as "innocent and simple" as that "they filled the water heater tank with RV anti-freeze".... Be sure the plumbing is all there and connected properly...... It would be an easy "mistake to make" while reconnecting everything.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:16 PM   #6
Summergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If they did the repair the way I'm thinking they did (I've never seen the "floor replacement area at the factory), they may have left the bypass valve out of the water heater plumbing when they reconnected everything after replacing the floor. Your comment that the water heater was full of anti-freeze could be an indicator of a "missing part". Be sure to check carefully behind the water heater. It may not be as "innocent and simple" as that "they filled the water heater tank with RV anti-freeze".... Be sure the plumbing is all there and connected properly...... It would be an easy "mistake to make" while reconnecting everything.
The by-pass was still there. They just didn’t close it to by pass the heater. No biggy. We will rinse it out really well this weekend.
Going to test all the appliances as well and run the pump to check for any water leaks in the lines. Make sure the pump primes and holds pressure. Then will re winterize again.
They did reseal areas on the roof.
Over all it appears that it was never apart.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
DCARLTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summergirl View Post
The by-pass was still there. They just didn’t close it to by pass the heater. No biggy. We will rinse it out really well this weekend.
Going to test all the appliances as well and run the pump to check for any water leaks in the lines. Make sure the pump primes and holds pressure. Then will re winterize again.
They did reseal areas on the roof.
Over all it appears that it was never apart.
Awesome that they got it back to you in good as new condition. Good to hear they revamped their whole floor assembly to correct what was really a bad issue. We really loved our Premier, the floor plan was perfect and would still own it if it hadn't have been for this huge issue. I can only imagine the cost of rebuilding/repairing these units for Keystone - the man hours alone even at minimum wage would be huge.

Now hopefully you will get to enjoy camping without having to worry about the floor failing. While I hated to be part of the initial process, I'm glad this is being resolved satisfactorily.
Georgia
DCARLTON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor