Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
Keystoned

Waste tanks

So after working on mine for a few days now I have to wonder how the heck the factory installs these. Replacing the valves on the T'd system makes me think they install the tanks tied together as an assembly with the black flusher installed also.
There is not enough room to install new drain valves w/o spreading the tanks apart, for which there is also not enough room. The flusher hose can be removed, but not replaced, etc.
I used a 2x4 cut to 16-3/8" to get the black drain valve installed. Good news, it doesn't leak around the valve, bad news, it leaks thru the blade somehow. Maybe I have not tightened the screws enough as it opens and closes really easy and seems to shut at the far end, but a small dribble keeps coming thru.
I may have to just plug the flusher and install a new one elsewhere.
The more I try, the worse it gets...so any insights here?
Old 02-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Is the gasket installed in the blade valve?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
Keystoned

I hope so, brand new, but I did not inspect
Old 02-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
I hope so, brand new, but I did not inspect
Often times, sliding the new valve into the space will dislodge the seal. You may have pushed the valve assembly into that "too tight space" only to pull the seal away from its seat. If tightening the 4 bolts doesn't stop the leak, you should be able to visualize the cable end of the valve. Push it closed to see if it's an adjustment of the slide blade/cable actuator. If you can't stop the leak by pushing the valve closed and it's mounted tightly against the tank and plumbing, then it's probably a torn/dislodged seal.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #5
Keystoned

The seals on both of the outsides seated well after opening the gap sufficiently and there is no leak at that joint. Is there an internal seal also around the sliding blade?
As I push it closed, it slides freely until close to the end of travel and then a bit more force gets it another 1/8" or so. I have not hooked up the cable yet so I am using the handle that came with it until I'm sure of no leaks at all. Then I'll tackle the gray valve.
I'm leery about tightening the 4 bolts too much and cracking some plastic...I also used Vaseline on all the rubbers.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

There is a seal on each side of the blade valve. Sounds like the “inner” one slipped off the flange and is getting pinched. Wasn’t there 2 in the replacement pack?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:32 AM   #7
Keystoned

I think a picture might help. So I am sure the 2 gasket seals shown are seated correctly. I'm not sure how any 'internal' seal touching the gate valve itself could move and not seal...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	719hPF9cz+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	25089  
Old 02-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

When you put the seals on, the larger side sits on the flange (pipe) and when the blade valve assembly is inserted the smaller end of the seals ride against the blade.

The issue comes with a lack of space when inserting the blade valve, it can catch the lip of the seal and pull it off the flange “lip”.

I have found if you grease the seals, put them in the flanges first. Then brute strength to spread the flanges, insert the valve assembly (handle in the closed position) and then rotate it back and forth about 1/4 turn. If it spins easily, you probably got the seals in correct. Trust me when I say it can take a few (many) attempts. I have walked away and came back a few times.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:59 AM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
When you put the seals on, the larger side sits on the flange (pipe) and when the blade valve assembly is inserted the smaller end of the seals ride against the blade.

The issue comes with a lack of space when inserting the blade valve, it can catch the lip of the seal and pull it off the flange “lip”.

I have found if you grease the seals, put them in the flanges first. Then brute strength to spread the flanges, insert the valve assembly (handle in the closed position) and then rotate it back and forth about 1/4 turn. If it spins easily, you probably got the seals in correct. Trust me when I say it can take a few (many) attempts. I have walked away and came back a few times.
This right here, ^^^^^, is gold.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:14 AM   #10
Keystoned

Okay, got in now. The two gasket seals touch the blade on the inside and touch the flanges on the outsides. Like I said, I'm pretty sure they are doing both jobs as I spread the flanges apart so that I could get the assembly in with no contact on either side. It did take a few tries to prevent one side from catching and there is no leaking on either side of the valve. There seems to be leak through past the blade though as a slow stream does not stop flowing down the line.
I'm wondering if I still have to tighten the 4 bolts more to seal better on the blade. Is there a max torque spec to prevent cracking the plastic?
Old 02-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Tighten them until they are tight. If it still leaks the seal isn't in right or there is a foreign object in the way. Look at the flanges for any residual glue from the factory. Look at the seal for any sign of pinching.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #12
Keystoned

Thanks, I will give it another go.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Your welcome. NOT what you wanted to hear Im sure but I've been there. my second day as an RV tech I had to replace the seals on the black tank in a Simba Super "C" with the poop pile up into the toilet, laying down in the compartment, and about 6 inches of working space. Needless to say it took me a few tries. now almost 9 years later my boss still remembers that job and said he was thinking " if he makes it through this job he just might be a keeper"

Old 02-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #14
Keystoned

Now that the tank is empty, here is what I'll do first. Close the valve, add water, looks for that leak, tighten the bolts until it stops, have a beer. If not, start over...
Old 02-09-2020, 09:07 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds like a winner

Old 02-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #16
Keystoned

As Rosanne Rosanadana would say...nevermind.
Success! No leaks past the blade so I guess it's time for a beer.
Not looking forward to the gray valve though.
Bad weather coming in so I'll work on inside stuff for a while. This unit is a victim of neglect so I have a ways to go before we can actually use it.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

One HUGE step forward!!!

Old 02-29-2020, 07:31 AM   #18
Keystoned

Still working on the black tank. Swapped in the new sensors, plugged the old sprayer and mocked up the new sprayer. I did get a tornado locally in case it didn't spin well, which it seems to. Had to get a new hole saw kit for the 1-3/4" hole required and should get it in today.
Also hope to get the gray tank valve swapped, we'll see about that PITA.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #19
Keystoned

So I got the tornado installed and have 2 option to plumb it.
1. use the parts supplied in the kit and abandon the stock inlet port
2. use the stock inlet port with simplified plumbing
#2 would require the use of an adapter to get from 1/2" pipe thread to 3/4" garden hose thread, male on both sides, no problem. My question is using the stock 'vacuum breaker'. It would fit between the adapter and stock water line at the tank, but does it need to be above the highest water line to work correctly?

The tornado kit has one to be used only when attaching to fresh water, so I'm guessing black water can get into the supplied line between the input and the sprayer...I'm a little confused by this.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:35 AM   #20
Keystoned

Any thoughts on the above post?

Tags
tank