Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
Woodz71

Headed to Venice LA in September...

Anyone know the best place to stay down there? I'm Googling and found a couple but not sure of the properties...
Woodz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
Woodz71

Found one I'll try. Yellow Cotton Bayside Cabins and RV Camping.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Unless you're familiar with the road "into and out of Venice" I'd suggest locating a campground around Chalmette, Violet or Poydras. The "only road in and out" is a "crushed oyster shell covered 16' wide, two lane road with no shoulders. There are "wide spots" where people have built camps, boat lifts and bait shops. As for "recreation" unless you're a "fan of Dixie beer" or are also hauling a boat, there's NOTHING in that area.

Can I ask what you're expecting from a camping trip to Venice ???

Oh, and don't plan on turning around anywhere after you pass Jump Basin Road in Venice. Once you're headed south past the Volunteer Fire Department, you're committed.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
Woodz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Can I ask what you're expecting from a camping trip to Venice ???
We have a fishing trip booked, thought it would be fun to pull the camper over instead of staying in a cabin. Sounds like you’ve been down that way before...
Old 02-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

My brother lived in Gauthier, we shrimped, fished, oystered that area from about 1970 until Hurricane Katrina "rearranged his camp"...

Yes, quite a few years in that area. You'll enjoy the fishing, if you stay away from the "chain restaurants" and stick with the "out of the way, local spots" you'll find some of the best food in Louisiana down LA 23.

If I were you, I'd stay closer to Chalmette. There's not a lot of "civilization" once you round the curve and turn south in Belle Chasse. That curve is about 65 miles north of Venice. From there on down, about all you'll find is "local flavor, lots of oyster shells, boat docks, houses on stilts and HIGH WATER..... Don't leave Belle Chase without a full tank of diesel or gas !!!

As for the "campground" you found, if memory serves me correctly, it's the one right under the water tower in Buras. If that's the one, there's a house, four cabins and either 2 or 3 concrete slabs with hookups in the side yard of the house. I can't say if it's improved any since I was last In Venice about 5 years ago, but be sure to take lots of bug spray, sun screen, and don't plan on sitting outside after dark.

Don't pick up anything flat that's laying on the ground and don't walk outside after dark without a flash light and shoes. Moccasins and copperheads are frequent visitors that like to seek shelter out of the sun under anything big enough to have some shade. If there's a "dirt mound" don't step in it, chances are it's a fire ant hill.

If you have a dog, either leave it home or keep it on a leash. The swamp is filled with "dog loving alligators" and the swamp is adjacent to that concrete slab your trailer will be parked on.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
My brother lived in Gauthier, we shrimped, fished, oystered that area from about 1970 until Hurricane Katrina "rearranged his camp"...

Yes, quite a few years in that area. You'll enjoy the fishing, if you stay away from the "chain restaurants" and stick with the "out of the way, local spots" you'll find some of the best food in Louisiana down LA 23.

If I were you, I'd stay closer to Chalmette. There's not a lot of "civilization" once you round the curve and turn south in Belle Chasse. That curve is about 65 miles north of Venice. From there on down, about all you'll find is "local flavor, lots of oyster shells, boat docks, houses on stilts and HIGH WATER..... Don't leave Belle Chase without a full tank of diesel or gas !!!

As for the "campground" you found, if memory serves me correctly, it's the one right under the water tower in Buras. If that's the one, there's a house, four cabins and either 2 or 3 concrete slabs with hookups in the side yard of the house. I can't say if it's improved any since I was last In Venice about 5 years ago, but be sure to take lots of bug spray, sun screen, and don't plan on sitting outside after dark.

Don't pick up anything flat that's laying on the ground and don't walk outside after dark without a flash light and shoes. Moccasins and copperheads are frequent visitors that like to seek shelter out of the sun under anything big enough to have some shade. If there's a "dirt mound" don't step in it, chances are it's a fire ant hill.

If you have a dog, either leave it home or keep it on a leash. The swamp is filled with "dog loving alligators" and the swamp is adjacent to that concrete slab your trailer will be parked on.....
The food and fishin' better be REAL GOOD for all of the other endearing qualities you listed.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
The food and fishin' better be REAL GOOD for all of the other endearing qualities you listed.
The fishing is EXCELLENT. A 25HP Merc behind a 16' bateau, we'd head out into the marsh, fish for redfish and in a morning, we'd fill the boat "to the gunnels" and have to carefully navigate back to the camp. It is the same with shrimping. A 25' shrimp net will fill "washtubs full of big shrimp" with every haul. My brother's camp was 12' in the air on pilings and the water would "lap at the porch" every year during "high water season". The road was often covered with a foot of water and more than once, we caught alligators on trot lines set behind the house.

The area is a "oil industry staging site" for offshore drilling and in the last 40-50 years, has become a commercial fishing area with charters, commercial boating and shrimping as a major industry.

It's not a "resort area" and there are many other places where charter fishing boats are located closer to civilization, but if you're looking for a "good place to stage a fishing trip close to the hot spots" then anywhere south of Buras is going to be a "one way in and one way out" kind of "uncrowded area"....

Thinking logically, every time someone in "the city" (New Orleans) flushes their toilet, the water in Violet and Buras rises a little.....

Just don't expect McD's and high speed internet, it ain't gonna be there LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #8
notanlines

What John said is exactly true. Not that you expected anything different. Once you leave Bellchase Louisiana there isn’t anything except What John mentioned and helicopters and helicopter pilots. Not much else.
On edit, my BIL recommended Strumpfs RV Park.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Sounds like a 5 star accommodation !
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
Woodz71

Quote:

I live in N FL next to a swamp so I’m well aware of the familiar critters that will be slithering and swimming.

We are going over just for 3 days. Show up, set up and relax then yellowfin fishing trip the next day. Rest the next day and then start heading back. May visit NOLA on the way out.

I appreciate the awesome feedback, I’m looking forward to the trip!
Old 02-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #11
Woodz71

Quote:
Unless you're familiar with the road "into and out of Venice" I'd suggest locating a campground around Chalmette, Violet or Poydras. The "only road in and out" is a "crushed oyster shell covered 16' wide, two lane road with no shoulders.
I was checking the area out on Google Maps, looks like 23 is a 4 lane highway with a median all the way til about 7 miles north of Buras LA, then it narrows down to a 2 lane. Either way I ain’t scared of it, but I’ll be cautious none the less.... thanks for the input!
Old 02-08-2020, 06:04 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

If you do go to New Orleans, and don't have the trailer behind you, go to Charlie's Steak House on Dryades Street. Don't expect a menu, they do have one, but rather, trust the waiter/waitress to tell you what you want. Steaks that cover the plate, the best potatoes au gratin you'll ever eat and a wedge salad with house dressing. You can "finish it off" with dessert if you're really a "glutton" but most people end up leaving with a doggie bag with enough food for the next two days. It's not cheap (used to be, but after Ms Dottie died, the "family influence" died with her.

As for visiting the city, I wouldn't suggest towing the trailer into NOLA. There are two campgrounds in the city (very expensive concrete parking lots), but many around Chalmette, Meraux or Violet. If you plan to visit, park and stay a couple of days. Walk the French Market from Jackson Square to the end, stop at Café Du Monde for beignets and café au lait. The WW2 museum is across the street and well worth the visit as is the old Jackson Brewery on the waterfront. Between Jackson Square, the French Market and the Brewery, you'll have spent at least a full day and not even started along Battery Park, the waterfront area or Audubon Zoo and Gardens.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
Woodz71

Quote:
If you do go to New Orleans, and don't have the trailer behind you, go to Charlie's Steak House on Dryades Street. Don't expect a menu, they do have one, but rather, trust the waiter/waitress to tell you what you want. Steaks that cover the plate, the best potatoes au gratin you'll ever eat and a wedge salad with house dressing. You can "finish it off" with dessert if you're really a "glutton" but most people end up leaving with a doggie bag with enough food for the next two days. It's not cheap (used to be, but after Ms Dottie died, the "family influence" died with her.

As for visiting the city, I wouldn't suggest towing the trailer into NOLA. There are two campgrounds in the city (very expensive concrete parking lots), but many around Chalmette, Meraux or Violet. If you plan to visit, park and stay a couple of days. Walk the French Market from Jackson Square to the end, stop at Café Du Monde for beignets and café au lait. The WW2 museum is across the street and well worth the visit as is the old Jackson Brewery on the waterfront. Between Jackson Square, the French Market and the Brewery, you'll have spent at least a full day and not even started along Battery Park, the waterfront area or Audubon Zoo and Gardens.
Charlie’s sounds awesome, I will def have to look that place up. Reservations?

Wish I had the time to hang out a couple days after the fishing trip but we will have to plan another trip just for NOLA.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Charlie's has a website (surprised me): http://www.charliessteakhousenola.com/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #15
Woodz71

Quote:
Charlie's has a website (surprised me): https://www.charliessteakhousenola.com/
Just checked it out, reservations recommended. Looks amazing.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

We haven't been to Charlie's in about 3 years (the last time we were in the city). We used to go at least once a month when we visited my brother and his wife. There were usually 4 of us to go, and the one time we made reservations we waited about 45 minutes. All the rest of the times, no reservations and seldom waited more than 10 or 15 minutes for a table. Depending on the size of your party, you might want reservations. If it's just the two of you, don't worry about it unless it's a Friday or Saturday night.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-09-2020, 03:40 AM   #17
notanlines

Charlie’s, mmmmm! Mother’s on Poydras, mmmmm. We heartily recommend the RV park in Westwego , Bayou Segnette State Park. Big lots and very close by when you are leaving Belle Chasse. Oh, and cheap!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:02 AM   #18
Woodz71

I may have to turn my September weekend getaway to a full blown week vacation. Thanks for blowing my budget guys!!