Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
Rdynbama

Cool Travel Resorts of America

I’m not really sure where to pose this question but here goes.
My mom has offered to give me their TRA membership because they bought it and never used it but still have to pay annual dues of $500.00
If she gives me the membership the dues naturally would come with it
I’ve done some research and can’t find many positives about TRA
I’m wondering if anyone has experience with TRA .

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't have any experience with TRA but after looking into it for the last while it definitely appears to be just a "timeshare" type of deal for 7 RV resorts. Reading through they've adopted timeshare's methods of "own it for life or else". If you accept it you will then be tied to it and have a very difficult time trying to get rid of it.

Judging by some of the complaints/comments it also looks like they use a "points" system similar to timeshare so the 1st thing you need to do is determine how many points your parents have and then determine exactly how many points are required to use the facilities. Also, they stated it is a "first come, first serve" system so I'm guessing you will need to make reservations far in advance to get a site. One owner complained that they could never get a good site....that may be the case all the time if you're not careful. One said there was "favoritism" etc. in the organization; I don't know but in the timeshare we own there are different levels of ownership. The top tier of ownership, to which we belong, gets many perks that others don't including preferential treatment, preferential selection of our requested accommodations etc. Monthly fee? Over $700. Initial cost? Over 100,000. Do I get my money's worth? Absolutely not - I give it away.

I don't know the specifics; I do know the song and dance. Anything that says you will "own it for life" and can't get rid of....you're kids will inherit it (read even if unwilling), don't touch it. For that $500 you can stay plenty of places without being locked in and still have plenty of fun. If it isn't a "kids will get this no matter what" kind of contract I would still refuse it. From the comments I read from TRA their only goal is to get you into the mess then they got you hooked and you can't get off. Just my 2 cents.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #3
Customer1

Will you use it - often? If not you don't want it. $500 per year is a lot of camping.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Be careful of what that $500 yr entails. "Giving" it to you will entail signing a contract to receive the "benefits". Pay close attention the what is required when you sign that contract.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #5
travelin texans

Personally I'd say "Thanks Mom, but NO thanks!".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:46 AM   #6
Rdynbama

Thank you all for your inputs
I really don’t think I wanna get caught up in this time share campground. We wouldn’t use it enough even after I retire in a couple more years to make it worth the money
I’m gonna see if I can help her get out of it now without me getting it

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote