Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanJK View Post
Sourdough, that’s definitely food for thought. I am thinking I’ll have a new truck for 10 or so years. After that I will think about a new trailer (I’ll let the desire for a new truck drive my trailer buying choices). I appreciate the input-I am hoping the newer 3/4 tons are designed to be a bit more comfortable than in the past.
They are more comfortable than in the past. Also, the new model 3/4 ton trucks have GVW's that "break the 10,000 pound ceiling". The new GM 3/4 ton models can have GVW's that are nearly 1000 pounds more than the previous 1 ton models. New 3/4 ton GVW's in the 12,200 range with the 2018 1 ton truck GVW's in the 11,400 range.

So, right now, there's some significant changes from all 3 major truck manufacturers with regards to "conventional thinking" when it comes to GVW ranges. What the end result will be in a year is anybody's guess, so pay close attention to what numbers you see for GVW/payload as you shop.

You may find a 2019 3/4 ton at a significant reduction from sticker, only to find that it has a 2100 pound payload while the 2020 model is much more "functional for heavy loads" with a payload in the 3500-4000 pound range...

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples as not all models have the "significant payload advantage"....

You can, from what I've seen, buy a 3/4 ton "new model" with more capacity than a "last year model" 1 ton truck even if both are "equipped with the same options".... Shop wisely !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Sourdough, that’s definitely food for thought. I am thinking I’ll have a new truck for 10 or so years. After that I will think about a new trailer (I’ll let the desire for a new truck drive my trailer buying choices). I appreciate the input-I am hoping the newer 3/4 tons are designed to be a bit more comfortable than in the past.

Sean, the new 3/4 tons ride great. No doubt they are stiffer than a 1/2 ton but nothing that you don't get used to easily. The 1 ton I just bought rides as well, or better, than my previous 3/4 so don't even worry about the ride like I did - it's not warranted.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #23
SeanJK

Thanks again JRTJH and Sourdough. That’s put my mind at ease a bit.
SeanJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #24
Snagit67

Same, we just decided ourselves on the Bullet Premium30RIPR. We should have it in a couple of weeks and this forum will be helpful! Here’s to some fun road trips and following our college girl softball team!!
Snagit67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:27 AM   #25
takpak

New rig

Hi Sean. Your "first" is always exciting. I remember our "first" which was 13 years ago. It was a 26 foot Cougar. Pulled with a 1/2 ton GMC. Worked fine for that trailer. But, as you may find out, you might want to "upsize" sooner than you think. We did, after the first year. Went to a 5th wheel and have never looked back. Regarding the truck, ALWAYS go bigger than what you think you'll need. The price difference is minimal. We now have a 2015 GMC 3500 diesel, and it's wonderful. The price difference (for the same trim level) between the 2500 and the 3500 was only $1500.00. And, one thing that nobody mentions is the liability factor. Heaven forbid that you should ever get into an accident, BUT, if the unthinkable happens, you KNOW that the legal people will be looking at whether or not anyone involved was "overloaded" or beyond the stated limitations of their rig. That's what caused me to buy the 1 ton. Food for thought. Enjoy your new "adventure" as you go forth.
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #26
wiredgeorge

SeanJK, Another perspective. EVERY camper is one that you will need to make compromises as an owner. You might like some features and the layout but after camping a few times may wish for a taller toilet, a bigger shower/tub, more pantry room, a bigger fridge, more room at the dinette... that sort of thing.

Look carefully at the seemingly unending complaints from first time owners here on this forum regarding issues with the trailer and note buyer's interactions with the selling dealership or Keystone. Also note depreciation and how quickly that causes a purchase, even a "good buy" or a "super sale" to be upside down on a loan.

Keep in mind that many RV loans are 7 to 12 years and almost no owner keeps a trailer that long; meaning they will lose when trying to sell or trade in and the upside down factor comes into play.

I buy used for these reasons. If you carefully inspect a prospective purchase there isn't likely any more issues than with a new trailer off the lot. If you decide your compromises need to be adjusted in the floor plan or features or size of the trailer or your life changes (kids go off to college?) you will more likely not lose your shirt in the purchase and can move on to your next trailer without it compromising your financial security. Might also allow the purchase of an appropriate tow vehicle with the savings. No warranty? Well, hopefully the difference in what you save will allow you to eat the cost of even larger repairs or replacement of appliances.

Anyway, good luck!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #27
SeanJK

Thank you so much for your advice!
Old 01-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #28
SeanJK

Thank you sir for your input. I will definitely eyeball some 3500s while I am at it.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #29
Army Paladin

Good day Sean
We were in the same place a year ago. We looked at lots of rigs and were set on a bumper pull. THEN we happen to step into a fifth wheel and loved them. Without looking back, we went into the 5th wheel and it is great. Just give it a look and see those options as well.
Army Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #30
tech740

Quote:
Thank you sir for your input. I will definitely eyeball some 3500s while I am at it.
This is a great idea. I started with a F150 ecoboost. Went to a 2500 Ram Diesel and now in a 3500 Ram Diesel. We said the 29' bunkhouse was all we would ever need. Now we have a 43' 6 slide 5th wheel. Alot of purchases later I should have skipped the 2500. As said before my kids have gotten bigger and so does the amount of stuff they want to bring. I honestly would not consider a 2500 if you are looking into HD trucks.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #31
SeanJK

I like them a lot, but I think I’ll start off a bit smaller and work my way up. I’m gonna be new to towing, big trucks, RVs etc. I appreciate the input though.